|09-16-2013 04:54 PM|
Appreciate the feedback
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did request the test kit from Washington State University for the MDR1 gene. You know sometimes the amount of info available in this age is just overwhelming, some swear Mitaban is the way to go, some say Ivermectin is the way to go; however you hear horror stories from using both! I trust my vet and he recommended starting with the dips so that is the route I went. By the way he was off on the last visit and another vet (same practice) recommended we start with the Ivermectin. He goes back for his third dip this Thursday, like I said other than a little sleepy the day I pick him up from the dips so far no other adverse side affects from the previous two dips. I am going to have my regular vet reevaluate his progress with the dips Thursday; if no visible progress is being made I may wait on the MDR1 test results and start the Ivermectin if negative.
|09-15-2013 12:22 PM|
How many spots does he have?
Demodectic Mange has some good information.
I have a Sheltie mix and instead of testing, we decided he would be treated as mutant for the other mange, so we didn't have to wait to treat. I am treating him as mutant for surgeries and other meds as well. I am not sure why Revolution couldn't be used for demodex but don't see that.
However, I would test regardless if I was using high amounts of straight Ivermectin.
|09-14-2013 11:51 PM|
Ivermectin can cause issues. It is mainly in herding breeds, most commonly Collies,shelties, Australian Shepherds. However GSD can be affected as well.
If you are worried or uncomfortable get the test done. It's an easy test, if your dog comes back normal/normal then they should be fine with treatment. Waiting a week for the results should not cause a significant problem.
We recently had a pit puppy have a serious reaction to ivermectin. He was also put on ketoconazole(not by one if our vets) and that drug severely limited the livers ability to breakdown the ivermectin. So reactions CAN happen in other breeds.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
|09-14-2013 11:40 PM|
We use ivermectin often for the treatment of demodex. I haven't heard the vets I work with ever really say anything about not using it in gsds but I can't really remember the last time we specifically treated a gsd. Ivermectin is also used in heartworm preventions such as heartgard which Is one if the most common heartworm prevention. They start with a low dose so their systems can adapt to it and make sure they don't have any issues tolerating it and slowly increase it to their normal dose. If my vet told me to do it I would do it however I trust the veterinarians I work with. If you're concerned maybe see another vet for a second opinion. Can't ever hurt to have it confirmed by another vet.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
|09-12-2013 11:53 AM|
I have a 19 week old GSD puppy who was recently diagnosed with demodectic mange. I tried the goodwinol ointment (used a whole jar) and it cleared up a few spots but more has come up and my vet suggested the mitaban dips. Well he went for his second dip yesterday and other than being a little lethargic a few hours after he is tolerating them well so far. After informing the vet that a spot on his chin appears to be growing and another spot came up on his side she recommended we switch to Ivermectin. She recommended starting at .3 for 3 days then .5 for three days and then .8 for the maintenance dosage. My question is Ivermectin safe for German Shepherds? Some web sites claim they may have a negative reaction and they should be tested for the MDR1 mutant gene before treatment. I did bring this up to the vet and she said it mainly affects collies and shelties and he should be fine that's why they ramp up the dosage. Still I am worried, I love my baby boy and would find it hard to live with if I gave him something that hurt or even killed him. What are some of the fellow members experience here with Ivermectin. This is my 4th shepherd I have owned them all my life but this is the first to have mange.