|09-02-2013 05:39 PM|
Hi, and thanks again for replying.
The breeder has all her dogs on raw (chicken based) and the puppies were weaned onto raw. A week after we had him home he went off his food and nothing I did would get him to eat, so I switched him to kibble. Which he loved. He eventually slowed down on that too but at least he eats now!
I did read that Neospora can be transmitted via raw meat!!!
The breeder is close to farm lands too. None of her other puppies have shown any symptoms.
The first inkling of all this was at age 12 weeks when we took him to our vet for his first booster shots. She thought he had some kind of neuropathy, but was unspecific and didn't suggest any treatment at that time. We couldn't see anything wrong, just a gangly puppy.
We then noticed him dragging his rear leg last Tuesday after a walk. He is now 17 weeks old. His condition did get worse up til yesterday, although it appears to have stablized today. Unfortunately today is Labour Day, a holiday, and our vet is closed so any questions to her will have to wait until tomorrow.
We live on Vancouver Island in BC Canada. Yes we do have ticks around. Haven't seen any on him though.
I also wondered about spinal injury. Has he romped too hard with other dogs, did he jump off a rock too high etc etc. Trying to think of all eventualities. We are having a Mobility Assessment done on Wednesday this week (which we booked before we thought of Neospora) and there will be a neuro specialist there too.
If he needs further investigative tests we will need to go to the Vancouver Mainland to the Animal Hospital there.
Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
|09-02-2013 05:13 PM|
If your puppy does have Neospora, after some time on the Clindamycin, you should see some improvement. Is your puppy raw fed? Was the dam raw fed? Or around cattle?
Here's more information.
Animal Parasitic Diseases : Neosporosis
Also, tick paralysis can definitely be a possibility. Where are you located? Are ticks an issue by you? Is your puppy on tick/flea preventative? I'd see if you can find any ticks on him, look everywhere, between the toes, armpits, ears, eyes, neck.
When did his neuro symptoms start? Have they been getting progressively worse?
|09-02-2013 04:07 PM|
Thank you for your reply. We should have the blood work back on Wednesday. We are looking at various parasites and hopefully we are treating the right one! Our concern was also that the dose he's on isn't aggressive enough. From what we've heard it should be strong doses of Clindamycin. Is 150 mg twice a day for a 38lb puppy enough??
Yes, talk of seeing a neurologist came up and depending on the blood results that will be our next course of action.
The waiting and not knowing is difficult. What the outcome could be, his recovery and where this is all going.
I do appreciate your suggestions and advice. Ticks, hmm, hadn't considered that one.
|09-02-2013 01:39 PM|
The next steps if I were you, would be to see a specialist, possibly get an MRI done, a spinal tap (if theres an infection in the CSF that will tell you..) In the meantime, I am glad you are possibly treating for the Neospora. Just dont WAIT though, go to a neurologist.
And I would do a tick panel to check for tick borne illness.
|09-02-2013 01:20 PM|
Hi there, unfortunately, I do have some experience with what you are going through - not neosporosis, but lemme explain..
Last year this time, I had a 9 week old female, she developed the neurological symptoms. It appeared like she had a stroke one day during a nap. She had trouble walking on one side, I understand how hard it is to see..My vet put her on prednisone first to see if she possibly bruised her spine. The prednisone helped a TON. She was almont back to normal..until the pred stopped. I tested for everything, including Neosporosis. She ended up being negative for that, but I did research about it a lot. Starting on the Clindamycin ahead of time is good. Better to treat it incase before the blood results come back. Did your vet do blood work for this? If not I recommend they do so. Long story short, once she was off the pred, she went downhill VERY fast. Went blind, deaf, and couldnt walk. I took her to a neurologist and she ended up having Hydrocephalus - which was a result of her getting a brain hemorrhage in her brain stem from having a difficult birth, I believe. She had to be put to sleep just shy of 4 months old. Not to scare you here, but you should really see a Neurologist, JUST in case. I wish I would have seen one right away.
Anyways, here is some research about Neospora.
Treatment of canine pediatric Neospora caninum myositis following immunohistochemical identification of tachyzoites in muscle biopsies
Overview of Neosporosis: Neosporosis: Merck Veterinary Manual
Hope your puppy is on the mend soon!
EDIT: any chance he was bitten by a tick? Ticks can cause tick paralysis.
|09-02-2013 12:29 PM|
We have a 4 month old puppy. He was first thought to have some kind of neuropathy when we took him to our vet for his visit at 12 weeks old. It wasn't obvious to us at all. But then last week we noticed he was dragging one of his rear legs. It has progressively got worse. He seems paralyzed in that leg now and keeps falling onto his hip and dragging himself around with his forelimbs. This is hearbreaking to watch.
Our vet is investigating various parasites particularly Neopsora Caninum. We put him on Clindamycin 150 mg twice a day. We realize it could take a while before he shows any improvement but it is getting worse and the blood results are not back yet.
Does any one have any experience with this? I would be SO grateful for any of your knowledge or experience on this.
Thanks so much.