|09-10-2013 08:30 AM|
|JakodaCD OA||I'm so sorry your going thru this, BUT it sounds like Otto will be going to a great place and have a great future..|
|09-09-2013 10:35 PM|
|TAR HEEL MOM||Much respect for you for doing something that is so hard, yet so right. I know you are sad and my heart hurts for you.|
|09-09-2013 10:25 PM|
That is a tough decision, but I think you're right to make it. Almost every dog stands a really good chance of being rehabbed with the right handler, and it sounds like you have a great candidate for that. What an excellent opportunity for the dog! I hope the officer will let you stay advised of his progress.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
|09-09-2013 10:07 PM|
My heart goes out to you. I can imagine this is incredibly difficult. But, oh, what a wonderful outcome, compared to the horrible alternative!
I agree, he just may be the next K9 star. I wonder if you would be allowed to see him from time to time, if only from a distance. I know that would help me tremendously.
Best of luck to you.
|09-09-2013 09:47 PM|
|Blanketback||Hugs to you and your family, I know this is a hard decision to make. But if you don't feel confident having Otto as part of your family, then he deserves to be placed elsewhere. Trust me, my first 2 GSDs were dogs that were rehomed to me - and I couldn't have been happier with them if I tried. I think this is the best solution for everyone. Good luck with everything, and I'm sorry that things didn't work out as you planned with this puppy. But maybe you helped raise the next K-9 star of the department! That's a pretty bid deal right there, and I'm sure he'll be a welcome addition.|
|09-09-2013 07:20 PM|
The police officer came and evaluated Otto and didn't believe his aggression issues were unsolvable. He also couldn't believe that we were advised to put Otto to sleep. He said neutering might help, but a lot of time and training should minimize any aggression. That being said, my wife and I are still uneasy about the whole situation so we have decided to surrender Otto to the officer's German Shepherd rescue. He thinks he will take Otto in to replace his K9 that is retiring from service this year. Otherwise, he has a couple colleagues who he believes might be interested.
We are having trouble coping with the situation. We are hoping it is the right decision for our family and for Otto. We have so much invested in Otto (time, love, money, emotion) and will be sick about the outcome for a while. We are dropping him off tonight and dreading it.
Thank you all for your support, you have been a great resource! I hope that my wife and I can bring ourselves back to the GSD breed in the future (through a reputable breeder next time) when we decide on getting another dog.
|09-03-2013 03:47 PM|
|Stevenzachsmom||Best of luck and please keep us posted.|
|09-03-2013 03:26 PM|
|Blanketback||Good luck with everything. If you think that rehoming Otto is the best thing for everyone, I doubt you'd do any better than with this fellow. That's so great, I hope he likes your puppy!|
|09-03-2013 03:14 PM|
|redandgold||That vet is a **** . I agree with the user who said to work with the retired military/police K9 trainer.|
|09-03-2013 12:13 PM|
When Otto charged my neighbor, we were all just sitting at the table. It was a very odd situation. Until that point, I was convinced that this was something that my wife and I could work on but we were just taken back by the situation. Otto does great around my wife and I but he is a ticking time bomb around people he doesn't know well.
We reached out to a GSD rescue in our area to look for guidance. Fortunately, one of the volunteer members is also a Deputy Sheriff and is looking for a replacement for one of his K9 dogs who is retiring. We told him about all the issues we have had with Otto and he says he has fixed these in GSD puppies his age before. He is very interested in Otto. We are going to meet him this week for an evaluation, really hoping it goes well. I think this would be the best option for my family and for Otto.
If it does not go well, I'm not sure what we will do. I'm sure this guy will have valuable insight either way.
I want to thank you all again for your help. I'll let you know how things go this week.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|