|12-18-2012 10:53 AM|
I have had dogs for over thirty tears and none bloated until two bloated in 2011. I lost one, she was a foster and bloated while I was at work. It was too late. My male bloated a couple of months later, I saved him because he was at the EVet within 20 minutes after the onset of the first symptoms. It was a $3500 even and he recovered fully. I did not believe in bloat until it happened to me. There was nothing that suggested that these dogs were at risk beyond being German Shepherds. I know too many that lost their dogs to bloat.
Having experienced it, it changed the way I view preventative surgery and I would definitely do it whan my dog is under anyway. It is a terrible experience and if the torsion is preventable, I would do it. I hear the same from others who went through it. I thought I was doing something better with feeding etc. in the past, but it is the luck of the draw.
|12-17-2012 04:58 PM|
|carmspack||on Dr Oz they were talking about the safety of raw egg in egg nogs -- or stake tatare another culinary raw egg recipe -- he said the chances of getting ill are one in over 20,000 -|
|12-17-2012 04:55 PM|
|12-17-2012 04:55 PM|
In addition to my earlier post, I forgot to add that my one of my breeders was not upfront with me about my dog's Sire's history of medical problems...I learned about it from others.
That's not to bash ANY breeder but, not every one will tell you everything.
And, I'm not even going to speculate as to why.
I've personally never experienced bloat with my dogs...
But, I have witnessed it. AWFUL!
The dogs I've known that had it and do survive have ultimately succumbed to problems including organ failure, from the torsion part.
The last one, about a month ago, lost his spleen and is now renal failure, 4 years old...just relating my experience.
We are all just giving you our opinions here, And, like any other open forum thread, we all have different opinions on the pros and cons.
I still stand by my own personal opinion...Yes, I would do it.
I'm not a vet. As far as the decision to neuter and gastropexy YOUR DOG, that's got to be a decision made between you and your vet...
(If you are continuing to show your dog, you may want to consider waiting on the neuter?)
|12-17-2012 04:49 PM|
I guess I need to read all I can about prevention, that is sure.
And Wildo, I am pretty sure you need quite a few new crowns to help pay for Max's pending surgery...lol!!!
|12-17-2012 04:31 PM|
In over 35 years of breeding and owning dogs , including dogs that were bought , and dogs that I have fostered till adoptable I have never had a case of bloat , or torsion.
In 20 years of horse ownership and care the only experience I had was with a beautiful Morgan mare that I had at a riding stable . She kept being fed by fellow boarders including bananas and sugar lumps and when I asked them NOT to I was the meany to my horse. Pulled her out of there , never a problem since. My own horses that have lived here for 20 years , including ones born here - never a problem .
A lot goes to management .
So would I do this prophylactically - NO - no more than I would take out an eye to prevent pannus - well I know that is extreme lol - but management , I believe is involved
|12-17-2012 04:15 PM|
|12-17-2012 04:13 PM|
|12-17-2012 04:08 PM|
Wanted to add:
Even with genetic and temperament factors, it is still a big non-routine procedure that has risks and side effects. Puppy's spay incision was all of an inch long. I think even a laparoscopic Gastropexy would require additional stitches and additional healing.
Talk with a vet you trust with expiernce in the matter. I called around before I found vet that was familiar with the procedure and had experience with bloat.
Like I said. Your vet has a financial incentive to say yes, so all the more reason to heed th no's
|12-17-2012 04:00 PM|
I spoke at length to my vet about this and she recommended no. She owns Great Danes herself and is familiar with bloat.
She said that the surgery can cause additional problems, and was against prophylactic Gastropexy even with Puppy's anxious personality. my primary reason for wanting the surgery was to buy more time for her if she bloated while I was at work. Vet said most dogs don't bloat from a day of napping calmly at home.
Do your research and talk to your vet. I think my vet has no reason to not want to do the surgery since its extra moment for them, other than the well being of my dog.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|