|11-24-2012 01:32 AM|
Cancer is less of an immediate concern.
Testicular torsion is more likely, where the testicular cord twists inside of the dog, causing severe pain and, if left untreated, infection which will kill a dog.
Cancer would hit later in life, almost certainly after 5 years of age, and more likely in the geriatric period (8 to 10 years).
Be aware of the risk of testicular torsion and watch your dog for signs of abdominal pain (arching back, reluctance to move, whining, tail held differently- among many others). I'd recommend waiting until the dog is mature (18-24 months) and then removing the testicle(s).
In my experience, if they don't drop by 3 months- they don't drop. It's a fairly common condition among racing Alaskan huskies.
The exceptions are out there, but I wouldn't count on being an exception.
|11-23-2012 11:50 PM|
|RocketDog||My pup did not have either either. (Eye-ther, Eee-ther, heh heh!) My vet actually said I could wait up to two years if I wanted. I chose to do it now, at 17 months, rather than wait because it worked better with my schedule. If you can, I'd wait until at least 16 months, for growth and maturity. Ultimately, it's up to you, but waiting will not cause more cancer risk.|
|11-23-2012 11:41 PM|
|wink-_-wink||Hero has one undecended, the vet saidit is absolutely fine to wait. Your vet is jumping the gun, get a second opinion|
|11-23-2012 11:17 PM|
|11-23-2012 10:54 PM|
my Chinese friend has a dog that one testicle dropped. he named
him Wun Hung Lo.
|11-23-2012 09:53 PM|
|arycrest||When I had a dog with ONE undescended testicle I was told I could safely wait until he was between 19 to 24 months before having it removed.|
|11-23-2012 09:37 PM|
|DJEtzel||From what I've heard (I have a pup with an undescended testicle) it's jumping the gun. My vet said we could wait until 9-10 months to see if it drops before we should neuter.|
|11-23-2012 09:30 PM|
Onyx is 5 months old, and the last time we took him to the vet, she said his testicles should have descended by now, and they want to take them out as soon as possible so they don't turn into cancer. Is this normal or is out vet jumping the gun?
This is onyx:
Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App