Hunting dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hunting dogs

Has there ever been a GSD that you know of that made a good hunting dog? Has anyone ever trained a GSD bird dog? Just watching mine, I think I could train her to be a bird dog. Just curious!
Susan and Dacota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hunting dogs

In my state dogs are only legal for tracking on kind of big game and only in certain counties: bears.

I know of one guy in the county in which I used to reside who has a GSD that is primarily a companion, but this GSD also ran with his bear hounds during bear season. The laws are strict regarding the use of dogs on big game so the GSD only gets to run bear for like five weeks year and three are "training only weeks." I spoke to this guy at length (he was a good customer of mine when I had a store in the area) about running the dogs on bear and he says the GSD is usually the first on the trail but prefers to hang back closer to him while the curs and hounds tree the bear. I have never been bear hunting with a dog pack, but know several folks that do run them with dogs.

Its really remote where I hunt and a lot of people do break the law and run their dogs on deer. I like dogs for waterfowl and uplandbirds, but I prefer to glass and track my big game. Never taken a bear though.

I have also heard rumors (never personally met the owner) of a guy who uses a GSD to run raccoons in the same area.

I bet a good working line dog would make a great bird dog, but you'd probably have to train it to retrieve and/or flush as I just don't see a high prey drive dog pointing on birds.
midnight804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting! Thanks for your input!
The funny thing is, we have seen Dacota "point" several times. Maybe it is just some fluke thing, but it makes me wonder...
Susan and Dacota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have thought about this many times. I am a waterfowler and I debated getting a "hunting" dog before I got the GSD. However, when compared against 365 days, I only hunt a few days, but I wanted a dog for everyday days. The breeder mentioned that she used to have a GSDthat would fetch ducks. I do not know if I would train my dog to do that, but I would love to take him with me next season a few times to see what happens... Have to train him to stay still and to ignore the shooting before. I do some quail hunting too and that may be easier.

Let me know if you find any info on GSD and bird hunting. I have been unsucessful so far.
houston924 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think you could easily train your gsd to retrieve waterfowl. Focus on soft mouthing or you might end up with some half eaten ducks. the rubber training decoys with the " rubber nubbin spikes" on them are good for keeping the mouth soft on retrieve. Start using soft training decoys and work on the soft mouthed retrieve and you should have a boat buddy in no time. I got my boy midnight soft mouthed on ducks in about six months, but we do have a river, and ponds and creeks right close. Plus i jump at any chance to wander around a wilderness area so that helped.

The only reason I think training a high prey dog drive to point is because the best pointing dogs I've hunted with (none were mine as I have only hunted with others dogs) just point. Most have been breed to just point for a very long time. No uncalled running or flushing, just a stiff legged whole body point that they hold until they hear/see the shots. Sometimes it takes a long time to creep up on those upland birds so the dog may have to point, just out of pouncing range of said bird, for a while.

I know a few people that have them trained to retrieve after the shots. Those pointers I've hunted in packs with also are trained and bred to honor the points of other dogs in the brace, freezing in position when they see a bracemate on point. I'm sure you could train a gsd to do almost anything so pointing (and the more important holding at point) would just take some special methods and lots of effort.
midnight804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.