Anybody into Frisbee? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Anybody into Frisbee?

My golden recently remembered that he loves frisbees and knows how to catch them. Which was a surprise to me. A few cheap purchases at PetsMart and I discovered that all three of my dogs actually seem to like it, and have figured out how to catch them. Not always mind you, but they definitely have the right idea.

Just was curious if anyone else was into frisbee with their dogs? My kids are all too big for tricks, but I definitely can play it with them and we have a Frisbee Fest every year where people enter and just see how far out their dog can catch the frisbee at. It was the first time my golden ever showed interest in catching them lol. I like it since they have to think a little harder with angles, distance and height (which can vary).
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I've been working on getting mine into frisbee. He's just not a very good catch yet. :P But he's building enthusiasm. Especially after he found out that if he catches it, we have a tug session. We have the West Paw Zisc. It's flexible, tough, and perfect for throwing or tugging.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I will have to look that up! My dogs seem to like chasing them more than balls. I start with shorter throws when they are starting out. Let them learn how to track and catch, then increase the distance.

I am a horrid throw some days though lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ossie was crazy about Frisbee's and loved to chase and catch them.

I can't seem to interest Lisl in them. She's acts like "Eh, what else do you have...?"

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog goes nuts for his Chewber style frisbee. It's a nice soft rubber, and he chomps it on the return. I got the one that doubles as a water dish...uh, not any more, lol. It's heavier than the other rubber frisbees, so it's easier to throw.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colie CVT View Post
Just was curious if anyone else was into frisbee with their dogs? ... I like it since they have to think a little harder with angles, distance and height (which can vary).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
I've been working on getting mine into frisbee. He's just not a very good catch yet. :P But he's building enthusiasm. Especially after he found out that if he catches it, we have a tug session. We have the West Paw Zisc. It's flexible, tough, and perfect for throwing or tugging.
I love playing frisbee. I used to play Ultimate frisbee when I was younger and then got into disc golf. I was never able to interest my last dog but the new pup just loves chasing down his Flying Squirrel.

The Flying Squirrel floats in the air pretty well but is difficult to throw with accuracy. It also has "feet" that lift up the tough fabric inner surface so he can pick it back up again easily.

He hasn't tried to catch one yet, however. I like Pax8's idea about a tug session reward for catching it.

Does anyone have other tips for getting him to catch it? If I could get him to catch it just once I would throw a huge party and then a game of tug. I bet he would catch on then. But that first catch has been eluding us.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Athena is a frisbee nut too! She likes it better than balls now... I cannot figure out though how to get Eden into toys at all. She will chase them, sniff them and walk away... her only interest is food/treats. Is there any way to change that?
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody into Frisbee?-img_20140628_105207.jpg  

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
My2shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have two that are bonkers over it. I take 2 Frisbees out and stagger throwing them. I will call a name and send one out and while he is making his catch I throw the other. My biggest problem is Noah jumps crazy high so I try to keep them low to prevent injury (he's only 9 months old).

GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I like using them for send outs. Its perfect, the way they're flat on the ground. I worry about letting them kinda sail when I throw them though, having the dog jump awkwardly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUwMhLlC95M
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

[QUOTE=Mister C;5870506]

Does anyone have other tips for getting him to catch it? If I could get him to catch it just once I would throw a huge party and then a game of tug. QUOTE]

Here how I teach it. First I get the dog catching a ball and loving it. Next I hold a Frisbee and move it in and out of their mouth a few times so they get the feel of how to catch it. Next step is throwing it right to them from a short distance. Once they start catching it, I then throw it a little to either side so they have to move a tad to catch it (still from a short distance). Once they are solid on that I start to throw it father from them and eventually a 'real' throw. Once they have the actual catch down the rest doesn't take long. Just be careful on height, they twist and turn and jump too high and I worry about injury. I try to keep them lower but sometimes they take off.

Take your time, one step at a time and they will get it especially if you make if fun fun fun. Also I use the soft Frisbees.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.