Flyball discussion thread! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Cool Flyball discussion thread!

Here we can chat about the trials and tribulations of flyball!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Skywalker'sMom, flyball is a relay race for dogs. They have to clear 4 jumps, pop the ball off the box and carry it across the finish line. The next dog goes, and the best time with a clean run wins the heat.

It's very fast paced and the good teams have really tight exchanges. It's really tricky to not be really late, but not go early either.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is a video I made for some family/friends in the Netherlands after a tornado hit a few miles from me and destroyed our dog training center. Fast forward to 7:15 (the video damage is just tree damage and some minor structural stuff, but my mom wanted me to record as we drove through to check on a friend), the photos of the training center are at the end.

Our team is sort of screwed at the moment. I am actually lucky that I can deal without training for an extended period. Nikon is trained and can run in any position with any dogs/team. Legend is just a baby so we have plenty of drills we can do at home or with one other dog in a smaller space (box drills, passing drills, etc). Indy needs some work before she can compete on a team (she's done Preflight and Singles) but she doesn't take flyball very seriously and is just as happy to chase Legend around the yard, so I don't think she misses it. Our team has Nationals in 2 weeks and the team running in the National tournament has four dogs that have all ran for the first time ever since March or sooner! I'm not going to Nationals because of $$$ this year (I went to a really cool fundraiser tournament in the Michigan UP instead at the end of June), so again it's not the end of the world if I can't practice right now but I really miss it. I'm missing Nationals and a Labor Day tournament so I don't race again until September.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Caja's Mom

Wow that is horrible about your training building. Don't think I had heard about the tornado at all in the news.
It's pretty rare to get one here, but there was a very tiny one not far from me a few days ago. They don't usually do much damage.

Remember line judging a bunch of BP races. You should have stopped and told us who you were. We are pretty easy to pick out.

Don't give up training with your shepherd, she can do it, might just need to use different methods than what works with a Border Collie.

Ziberia (Panther) v alten Wingertshaus, BH, AD, CGC

Caja v. d. bosen hohle BH, SchH 1, TR2, OB2, WH, FDCH-S, CGC, TDI.
Caja's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh no I'm sorry to hear about your training center. I hope it was unoccupied at the time of the tornado

I'm leaving for school next month and "my" dogs are staying home. I'm leaving PA and headed to MI so I can't even visit on weekends. They are both very "green" dogs. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to progress at all with only 3-4 months of training each year.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh Liesje, that is terrible! I'm so sorry.

Are you guys able to practice on the grass at all? Are there any other places to practice, maybe with another team while the building is being repaired?
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caja's Mom View Post
Don't give up training with your shepherd, she can do it, might just need to use different methods than what works with a Border Collie.
I'll have to see if I can find you guys next time I see you guys at a tournament.

My dog has a low threshold and gets really wound up with other dogs. She will get an upset tummy and one time almost choked herself out (she had to lay down) she was pulling so hard. I can't even take her on pack walks without her getting really worked up.

This is her on her own a year ago, she was really good on her own! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

It makes me sad because when I put the boxes in my van after the tournament we hosted in April, she started crying in her crate when she saw them. She loves it a lot. She's got a right hip that's borderline too, so that was another reason we gave it up.
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

How old is she now, blackshep? I didn't even start taking flyball classes with Halo until she was 2-1/2, and she was almost 3-1/2 before she started racing.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I posted these in Halo's flyball thread, but I'll put them here too. They're some videos from a tournament in May - I hurt my back first thing in the morning boxloading for one of our teams on Saturday and managed to race Halo that day but was too sore and stiff on Sunday, so a teammate stepped in to race her for me.

Two heats with slo-mo box turns, Halo is racing in the 3rd spot:

One heat of each of the four teams we ran that day - we're in the left lane and Halo is in the first heat, racing 2nd:

Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

She turned 2 the end of April.

Cassidy, not a bad box for a big dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.