Halo flyball brag! (with pics) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Default Halo flyball brag! (with pics)

Three weeks ago our flyball club, Marin Running Riot, hosted a benefit tournament for the Marin Humane Society, which is where we practice each week. At the tournament Halo earned her FMX title (Flyball Master Excellent), for achieving 10,000 points! Halo has been racing for just over 2 years, since April 2012, and she's my first flyball dog so she's been been hampered with a green handler, lol.

That's not a huge amount of points considering that we have two dogs in our club alone that have earned their Hobbes Award for over 100,000 points, but it's a big deal to me. Also, there are not that many GSDs in the sport, and Halo is only the 41st have earned an FMX. She's 332 points shy of earning her MBDCh-G (Multi-Breed Champion-Gold), for 5000 points, which only 31 GSDs have achieved. Multi-Breed teams consist of 4 dogs of different breeds ("mixed" counts as a breed), and earn points for each heat they race on a Multi-Breed team in addition to regular points.

For each heat that all four dogs finish in less than 24 seconds, they earn 25 points, so 10,000 points would be 400 clean heats. Pretty much all flyball dogs are fast enough that if everyone on the team runs clean they'll make time and get the full points, but if any of the dogs have an early pass (the entering dog crosses the start/finish line before the exiting dog does), that dog has to rerun at the end of the lineup, increasing the total time, or forfeit the heat entirely, earning no points. If any dog misses a jump or fails to bring the ball back all the way across the start/finish line, they also have to rerun or forfeit the heat. If the team runs over 24 seconds but under 28 seconds, each dog gets 5 points, over 28 seconds but under 32 seconds it's just one point. Over 32 seconds, no points are earned for the heat.

Here's Halo posing under our team banner after earning her title:

A couple of shots of the field early in the morning before everyone arrived:

MHS is a wonderful facility, and we're so lucky to be able to use this field for practices!

One of the prizes I got for the raffle was a gift certificate for DragonDreams Leather, who make the most beautiful braided leashes. I'd had my eye on one for a long time that was Halo's colors of pink and black, so I was determined to win the prize myself so I could get that leash. Alas, even though I put a ton of tickets in the bag, I did not win, so in celebration of Halo's new title I went ahead and bought it for her. Doesn't it match the rest of her gear perfectly?

Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Awesome!!

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Congrats that is so exciting!

I want to do flyball, but the closest team is an hour away (I've done it in the past, but spending 2hrs on the road for a 1hr class is rough lol)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So proud of 'our' girl!! And her handler/mom!

Tamsen's Dogster page:
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=27525
valb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren43 View Post
Congrats that is so exciting!

I want to do flyball, but the closest team is an hour away (I've done it in the past, but spending 2hrs on the road for a 1hr class is rough lol)
That's what I did - the Marin Humane Society is 45/50 minutes each way unless there's traffic, in which case it's nearly an hour. That's really not a big deal for me, I've traveled up to an hour each way for many classes over the years, and I've actually been going to MHS for classes for 13 years with multiple dogs.

There is one flyball team that practices more like 15 minutes away, but they didn't have classes (they do a workshop a couple of times per year), so I went with MRR instead. It's a great team, we've been Regional Champions in both Regular and Multi-Breed divisions the past two years. I started taking flyball classes with them the summer of 2011, and were racing in our first tournament about 8-1/2 months later.

What team is near you?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Val & Shanna!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

2 fast fur u

I'm on the east coast in NY. They are located in Rochester.

lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Halo, girl, you rock!

I, too, think she very much deserved that pretty pink & black leash for a job well done.

You both did a great job!

I always enjoy seeing pics of her.

Thanks for sharing.

MyHans-someBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

How cool is that..good for you and Halo...love the leash..
ksotto333 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Congratulations Debbie and Halo!!!!

Never saw the explanation of points previous - three of mine do flyball in Buffalo/Canada...2 Basha sons and my imported Xito granddaughter who also lives with them...I don't think she has run in tournaments yet and the boys are getting up there in years....Trish and Kevin have titled 3 GSDs in Flyball and Panther will be the 4th...I have NO clue what levels/titles they have tho....I know it takes alot of time, energy and a very very VERY stable GSD to perform in that chaos!!!!

Good job!!!!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.