German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Miscellaneous Dog Sports (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/miscellaneous-dog-sports/)
-   -   Weight Pulling (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/miscellaneous-dog-sports/454305-weight-pulling.html)

HarleyTheGSD 05-26-2014 05:49 PM

Weight Pulling

I want to get Varick involved in weight pulling.
How do I start? Could I begin at home?
I'd like to know more about it.

Tiffseagles 05-26-2014 06:19 PM

Yes, so can get started at home. The first thing you need is a harness. Check out:
BrownDog Design Harnesses

There are many other makers. You can search for reviews online too. There are also facebook fgroups dedicated to weight pull that can offer some advice.

You can get started at home. You don't need to join a club/group. The first thing you have to do is get your dog comfortable wearing the harness when it arrives. Make the association between harness and treats. The first several times you put it on, don't attach anything. Let him just get used to the feel.

The next thing your dog has to get comfortable with is the idea of something following behind him. People will usually recommend using a light jug with pebbles or change to make noise. Use lots of praise.

Once he's comfortable with that, start using lengths of chain as weights. I'd suggest starting off with around 5#. You can increase from there depending on how your dog is doing. Don't make it so heavy he has to struggle. In the beginning you are just building confidence and endurance. If you are not going competitive, you don't have to go any further. Remember, if you increase the distance you're pulling, don't ask for your dog to pull more weight - only increase one challenge at a time.

HarleyTheGSD 05-26-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffseagles (Post 5567146)
Yes, so can get started at home. The first thing you need is a harness. Check out:
BrownDog Design Harnesses

There are many other makers. You can search for reviews online too. There are also facebook fgroups dedicated to weight pull that can offer some advice.

You can get started at home. You don't need to join a club/group. The first thing you have to do is get your dog comfortable wearing the harness when it arrives. Make the association between harness and treats. The first several times you put it on, don't attach anything. Let him just get used to the feel.

The next thing your dog has to get comfortable with is the idea of something following behind him. People will usually recommend using a light jug with pebbles or change to make noise. Use lots of praise.

Once he's comfortable with that, start using lengths of chain as weights. I'd suggest starting off with around 5#. You can increase from there depending on how your dog is doing. Don't make it so heavy he has to struggle. In the beginning you are just building confidence and endurance. If you are not going competitive, you don't have to go any further. Remember, if you increase the distance you're pulling, don't ask for your dog to pull more weight - only increase one challenge at a time.

Thank you! I'm not sure if I want to compete yet, I think I'll wait and see how it goes. :)