German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Miscellaneous Dog Sports (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/miscellaneous-dog-sports/)
-   -   Starting Nosework today! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/miscellaneous-dog-sports/409618-starting-nosework-today.html)

Okin 02-11-2014 08:40 AM

Starting Nosework today!

Not really sure what to expect but we are excited to start the intro to Nosework class tonight!

MaggieRoseLee 02-11-2014 04:54 PM

Have fun and we'd love to see pictures!

Momto2GSDs 02-11-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okin (Post 5003258)
Not really sure what to expect but we are excited to start the intro to Nosework class tonight!

You & your dog will have a GREAT time!
Take some HIGH value treats!
Moms:)

Okin 02-19-2014 08:55 AM

First day of Nosework was a bit odd. She really didn't know what to do at all. I think she was a bit confused by all her previous classes being Obedience so she kind of just looked at me as if she was expecting me to give her a command. We switched from a smelly treat to boiled chicken and worked on it at home. Last night she rocked at Nosework! She was flying threw the boxes and finding everything, knew what to do and was starting to trust her nose! By the end of the second class the teacher said she was already to a week 4-5 level! She was already finding things in boxes and mixed with things hidden in the enviorment. The dogs seem to have a great time with this!

Two more weeks and Obedience II starts as well!

DJEtzel 02-19-2014 09:06 AM

That's awesome! I love nosework, glad you're having a great time!

Kaimeju 02-19-2014 09:48 AM

Awesome! Sounds like she has a lot of potential!

Msmaria 02-19-2014 11:22 AM

We just finished intro to nosework last week. Dex didnt know what to do first time in the seaech room either..lol. I gave him rhe command search and he ran over to my daughter and started licking her face, then he went down the row of other handlers to say hi to everyone. The teacher then asked me to move closer to the boxes. He came over and then started checking himself in the mirror. Everyone started laughing and telling him how handsome he is. Finally he came across the box with food. Hes done great ever since. He loves the class. Ive seen such improvement in his confidence since he started. He was starting to fear bark at strangers on walks. He doesnt bark anymore. We will be starting the next class in March.

katdog5911 02-19-2014 01:31 PM

We did nosework last year and only stopped because the class time changed to a time that I can't go. But I still have the odor kit at home and we do a search every now and then. I really would love to get back to it!

kbella999 02-24-2014 11:02 AM

Will be signing Rusti up in a couple weeks for into class. Sounds like everyone really likes it.

Okin 02-24-2014 11:31 AM

My trainer said the first rule is that the dog has to have fun. They want to push your dog to go as far as they can but not at the expense that they are not enjoying themselves. There are 3 dogs in my class including mine and they all seem to love it. Each one works one at a time.