German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Miscellaneous Dog Sports (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/miscellaneous-dog-sports/)
-   -   Barn Hunt (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/miscellaneous-dog-sports/391914-barn-hunt.html)

kbella999 01-06-2014 08:38 AM

Barn Hunt

Rusti had a great time at a barn hunt seminar yesterday. It was fun for me too except it was really cold. There are usually 3 tubes, one is empty, one has bedding, and the other has a rat in it. After they introduced the dogs to the rats and Rusti caught scent of it, she was ready to get that rat. I think this is going to be a really fun sport for her. Here are some videos from the seminar.

This one simulates an Instinct test.

This one simultes a novice test

ksotto333 01-06-2014 09:36 AM

I have a friend doing this with a local group. I'm considering it, sounds like they have a great time.(except for the cold..;0...)

Merciel 01-06-2014 10:51 AM

Thanks for the videos! :)

I'm planning to give Barn Hunt a try this year. I think it'll be a fun extra thing to do with my dogs that won't take up a ton of extra training time, since it's mostly an instinct game.

I'd hoped to do our first fun match on Saturday, but my current foster dog ended up arriving at 2 am Saturday morning, so that kinda derailed those plans. Looks like I'll have to hold off until March/April now.

From what I gather, this is a new sport that's just starting in a lot of areas, so if it's offered in your region and you're at all interested, go out and give it a try! New sports can use the support. :)

Tiffseagles 01-06-2014 12:55 PM

I want to do this so bad! I think our little dog would love it and maybe the GSD too. Thanks for posting the videos - they are great :)

dogfaeries 01-06-2014 02:34 PM

I really wanted to take Sage, but they were filled up until March! So, hopefully I'll get my entry in in time to do the next available one.

kbella999 01-06-2014 03:13 PM

Wow, I was hoping you would be able to get into the Feb seminar. They sure seem like they have a lot of interest. I think they are going to try and start doing trials up here also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfaeries (Post 4782946)
I really wanted to take Sage, but they were filled up until March! So, hopefully I'll get my entry in in time to do the next available one.

dogfaeries 01-06-2014 03:15 PM

That would be great! I got an email from Brandi yesterday with info on the seminar in March. Sending it in!!

kbella999 01-06-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfaeries (Post 4783266)
That would be great! I got an email from Brandi yesterday with info on the seminar in March. Sending it in!!

Great! Send it in asap as the classes fill really fast. Everyone seems to be really interested in it so they could definitely hold more classes. I hope you get into the March class.

dogfaeries 01-11-2014 01:31 AM

Sent in my registration for the March barn hunt seminar. Going to try out silly Sage!

Stosh 01-11-2014 02:10 PM

Our training club is hoping to host barn hunts this year. It's in Tyler TX