German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you want to join the 2013 Trick Dog challenge?

Trick Dog Challenge 2013!

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Merciel 
#1 · (Edited)
Puppy and I are doing her Trick Dog titles. My lack of work-life balance makes it impossible for me to do any classes with her this year, or get into any sports that require regular, committed practice. But this is highly doable. I've always been jealous of all the fabulous dogs on this board with a string of titles behind their names, so we want to join them this year!

It's really a very easy title to receive - you just need to do some tricks with your dog at home, have a witness sign them, and send the form in. The cost per title is $20 with the form.

I want to challenge everyone who isn't engaged in a sport with their GSD on this board to join me. We can keep each other accountable, and give each other advice as we progress towards our titles.

For the first title, the Trick Dog Novice, all you need to do is 15 easy tricks in the pdf below.

http://domorewithyourdog.com/downloads/trickdogtitle.pdf

To Join:

Please reply to the poll. The results are public to the poll, so that we can keep each other accountable, and know who signed up. Please reply to the thread to state what the title you intend to achieve is.

At a minimum of once every two weeks, please post an update (text or video) or your progress!

Good luck everyone! Happy Tricking.

Here is an example I stole from Falon, who is a member of this board. This is her dog Eden demonstrating the Trick Dog Novice tricks.

See less See more
#4 ·
I have seen the books at big box pet stores (pet smart, petco).

#6 ·
2 week update for Puppy and I

Yesterday we made a breakthrough in our figure 8 weave, which was the trick we have been working on these past two weeks. I had been luring her, and gradually fading out the lure. But yesterday, she only looped around one of my legs before running to grab a piece of food from the floor in front. I had given up on that repetition of the trick, when she ran back and completed the second weave by herself. After that, I knew she clearly understood what I am asking of her, and our repetitions following have been much better!

I would say our Figure 8 is almost ready!

#7 ·
Oh fun!

My crazy mutt puppy Pongu has his TDCH. It's a very fun program and a great option for people who feel intimidated by other sports, have reactive/fearful dogs who don't do well in the competition-ring environment, or who are just plain looking for something new to do with their furry friends.

Plus once you have all the foundations done, you can use that as a springboard to invent new goofy things to amuse yourself and your dog. In that sense, it's a superb investment of training time -- you might not be able to make it out to the agility field on a busy day, but you can sure spend a few minutes teaching a new trick.

I really like the program and am all for more people giving it a try. :)

#9 ·
It's not an AKC title, if that's what you're asking. The organization is totally separate.

I think it counts toward Versatility titles, but that may be dependent on your breed club. Sorry, I don't know much about that!

Here are a few of Pongu's "expert" tricks.

Backward stairs:

Easter Egg hunt:

Margarita trick for my dad's birthday (we did a video compilation for his 60th; the joke here is that he likes margaritas but frequently forgets how to make them), co-starring my Akita mix Crookytail:

#10 ·
I've seen this before on another thread. Frag could easily get a few of the titles, but I just don't have the money for it. :(

#12 ·
Thanks! :)

If anyone is wondering how to teach them, I posted write-ups on my dog blog here:

Merciel's Dog Blog: Dog Mob: Assistant Bartenders (the margarita trick)

and here:

Merciel's Dog Blog: Happy Easter Egg Hunt! (the Easter egg trick)

I don't have a writeup for the backwards stairs one, alas.

It took about three weeks to teach the Easter egg trick from nothing (we didn't even have a basic retrieve when we started) and two weeks for the margarita trick, mostly because Crookytail is not that bright and takes a long time to learn stuff. Pongu had his part down in two sessions, but Pongu also already had some prior familiarity with scent discrimination, so it was easier for him.

#13 ·
More frivolity from Dog Mob:

My camera work is pretty bad on this one, sorry! I had a hard time keeping it focused while fixing the box lid.

Also, the very brief (and possibly unnecessary) background is that Pongu is and always has been a huge spiteful jerk to poor long-suffering Crookytail. Some of that is founded on their actual interactions, some of it is embellished for entertainment value, but it's been a running storyline between my dogs for a while now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.