Push Board, day 1 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Push Board, day 1

I found these instructions for a push board off Lies website and since I think my foster would be awesome at it I decided to try it out and let Bentley play with it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa9X...&feature=g-upl

btw: I really have no idea what im doing I just kind of copied what I saw others doing
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice! If you intend to do flyball later on, especially for your bigger dog I would consider raising it up and using a prop. The dog needs to understand to launch on and off, otherwise they will slide straight in which can be really damaging for a larger dog. But for the first session I think what you did was good, getting them used to the board and turning tight. Another thing that I like to see big dogs do is make the turn onto the board and not off of the board. What I mean is, a dog Nikon's size or bigger cannot possibly make a tight enough turn in the width of a flyball lane, he's going to have to move over and curve onto the box one way or the other, so I use props to force my dog over to the left (my left if I'm facing the box) so that he has room to complete the turn onto the box, and then I setup a prop on the right side of the box (my right as I'm facing the box) so that he's forced to come off the box straight down the lane. Does that make sense? If a large dog comes off the box too wide, he might miss the first jump or have to slow down and collect a big going into the first jump. I'd rather have the dog learn to naturally move over to the left side of the lane as he's heading into the box so that he can complete the turn and come straight off the box, then head straight into the box and have to turn coming off the box. Just something to think about when you are standing at the board and having the dog go around the leg. If you need to "push" him one way or the other with your body, if you are facing the board you want to be slightly more to your left than your right.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here's what I mean. The red is the "bad" path, the green shows the "good" path (obviously you'd reverse this for a dog turning the other way). I use a cone in front of the box or board and a ring gate or some other prop on the side of the board/box to force the dog to turn tightly off. In fact in flyball training Nikon and a few other dogs *always* have a gate on the side of the box, the only time it's removed is in competition.

Again, your video is a great start, I'm just mentioning this in case you want to compete later. It's much easier to start with a nicely shaped turn from the beginning than have to fix it later on.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Did you do some dead ball retrieves first to determine which way they each turn naturally? That would be the very first step, so hopefully you've already done that. Our club uses push boards quite a bit, and Lies made hers based on some pictures and videos I had posted of Halo's training.

I'd also suggest doing some over and back jumps using a length of gutter - we duct tape several together so it's at least 8" high, if not more. Luring onto a push board is good, but I'd like to see them jump on and off it rather than just step around your leg. You can use a cone to lure them around too. We use a target stick for the over and back with a gutter, and also onto the push board. Some people use a tug toy lure, which is held over the push board (keep it up high), and then whipped back as the dog hits. You want to build some drive and speed in the push off the board.

This website has some short videos showing the gutter: Turns

They refer to it as a ramp, but it's basically the same thing. You can reward with food or a tug toy, whichever your dog prefers. Here's one of my early videos of Halo - I'm sending her to the board from 5 or 6 feet away, and I've got the gutters in front, to get her to jump on the board and remind her to get her back end up:
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Here's what I mean. The red is the "bad" path, the green shows the "good" path (obviously you'd reverse this for a dog turning the other way). I use a cone in front of the box or board and a ring gate or some other prop on the side of the board/box to force the dog to turn tightly off. In fact in flyball training Nikon and a few other dogs *always* have a gate on the side of the box, the only time it's removed is in competition.

Again, your video is a great start, I'm just mentioning this in case you want to compete later. It's much easier to start with a nicely shaped turn from the beginning than have to fix it later on.

Great visual!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here are all the props we were using with Halo after we'd transitioned from the push board to the box, and added the ball:

There's a high prop in front of the box and the barrels in front of that, which make her start her jump further from the box and get her body up high. The prop on the right helps with rotation. We started with that further to the side and then gradually moved it in closer. If we moved it in too much at once, she'd just jump over it as she came off the box, we had to figure out where it needed to be to make her turn inside it.

I like this picture because you can really see her butt flying up in the air:

Of course, all those props need to faded eventually, because you can't use them in a tournament. But we always use them at practice and in warmups, in order to maintain a good turn.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the visual Lies. I can see a couple times where they turned too wide and slipped on the hard wood floor because of it.

Even though Bentley wont be competing or doing a ton of training for a couple reasons, Ill try putting a cone or something there to try and get him to on the board.

This session was to get them both used to the board. You can see in like the 2 clip where Bentley backs up and sits on it, my foster (second dog) did the same thing. Just trying to teach them that thats not what were doing anymore
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah it looked like they wanted to offer some nice agility contact behavior!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.