Hunting/Flushing/Retrieving GSD's??? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

GUN DOG SUPPLY: Hunting Dog Training Collars & Supplies for Retrievers & Bird Dogs. plenty of DVDs for training. I hunt test my goldens and labs. This is where I buy equipment:-)
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

I plan to train my next pup to retrieve birds, I see no reason why they can't learn it, and be better than a lab (my boyfriend has wanted a lab all his life lol). Gsds typically love to retrieve, have amazing scent capabilities, very good watching and taking direction skills, are good swimmers and can handle cold weather. What's more to want in a bird dog? Except the soft mouth, hence why you should start with a pup.
Find some good bird dog training info and tools and go for it
Sweetie - APBT CGN
Mikelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

GSDs definitely don't have a soft mouth. You can train them to point and track but its almost impossible to get the bird/squirrel back without it being crunched. I've worked with Freyja hoping that she would learn to retrieve birds since she carries the cats around the house without harming them, but she still has to crunch the game upon retrieval. Good luck.
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
Caitydid255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

Out of curiosity, I tried a bit (I just wasn't going to admit it, because I didn't want folks here to think I'm crazy). I don't know if she'd ever be a better hunting dog than a good lab, but she can outrun--or jump over--most labs trying to be first to a dove.

Z will retrieve. As folks have said, very hard mouthed, but that isn't a constant--she can bring me my cell phone without damaging it, so I suppose with enough work she could learn to be softer-mouthed on birds.

I sent her through some tall grass in hopes of flushing a pheasant. She found one but basically herded it back to me. Then she got mad because I was laughing so hard . . . .

She tracks well enough she could probably follow-up on a wounded animal once she got the idea of what she was looking for.

Definitely get an orange vest for the dog, especially if you've got a sable. Folks aren't used to seeing a GSD in the field, and we wouldn't want to hear of any accidents.
JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Your last post cracked me up.

Personally, I think you can train your GSD to do pretty much anything. Whether or not it will EXCEL at it is a whole new ball game.

HUNT? Why not? All dogs want to hunt / chase, etc. It's what they do with it when they actually catch it!

Flush out? Again, something that could be taught ... retrieve? In one piece ... well someone on here (I think it was hunterisgreat) posted a pick of the dog holding a raw hamburger in his mouth ... so the dog can be taught to have a soft bite LOL at least for 10 seconds!

Good luck!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.