Walky Dogged Todayyy!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Walky Dogged Todayyy!!

I'm so excited to share this. I wish someone could've taken pictures of us but it's just me and my pooches.

Filled the bike with air then I took Smokey out on the Walky Dog today (inspired by a recent post on here)! He is so in his element being a husky and pulling and running. It's wonderful to watch the air blow through his hair, his ears back, eyes alert and just running free with me

Then I took Zeeva on the Walky dog for the FIRST time. She walks on my left and the Walky Dog is on the right so she was confused for a good 30 seconds before she caught on! She ran! She was still confused; kept looking at me like "mamma is this ok to be running so fast; are you ok with this?!?" but she enjoyed it very much.

Now they are tired happy dogs! They make me so happy! Bless them. I hope I make them happy as well! <3
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Someone has a signature "a Tired dog is a happy dog". Glad you guys had a good time.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can I ask something here? I don't wanna post a new thread.

When is it too hot to bike ride with your dog? It's a balmy, humid 82 right now.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

82 shouldnt be to bad . Its when there is a heat advisory . I think humidity plays a part but not sure if it temperature. I was told recently that being on blacktop/cement in the full sun can add an additional 15 to 20 degrees.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Can I ask something here? I don't wanna post a new thread.

When is it too hot to bike ride with your dog? It's a balmy, humid 82 right now.
To me that's too hot. I go out around 6:30am when the sun isn't hot, still kind of cool, specially if your running them.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
To me that's too hot. I go out around 6:30am when the sun isn't hot, still kind of cool, specially if your running them.
Ok. Not at night either. To dangerous for us newbies! Can't wait till tomorrow morning!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't forget that is hotter on the pavement at the dog's level.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It depends on the dog too, how your dog does with the heat. Some dogs do okay and can run with no problem, others don't. Personally, I'd wait until evening or wait for cooler temps. If you do take them out keep an eye on them, and watch for overheating or tiring.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
It depends on the dog too, how your dog does with the heat. Some dogs do okay and can run with no problem, others don't. Personally, I'd wait until evening or wait for cooler temps. If you do take them out keep an eye on them, and watch for overheating or tiring.
Are you from Chicago?!? It's been pleasant lately no? With the balmy misty weather. I've been taking my dogs out individually for the last 2-3 days for on the walky dog! They love it!

How can I keep an eye out for over tiring? My husky has stamina like none other when it comes to running but my GSD, I'm not sure....
Old 08-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Are you from Chicago?!? It's been pleasant lately no? With the balmy misty weather. I've been taking my dogs out individually for the last 2-3 days for on the walky dog! They love it!

How can I keep an eye out for over tiring? My husky has stamina like none other when it comes to running but my GSD, I'm not sure....
Yep I'm from Chicago! The weather has been great, I was so tired of the heat we'd been having. We can finally open the windows and turn off the a/c!
For overheating, check for their tongues hanging way out of their mouths, excessive panting, dry nose/mouth, noisy breathing, bright colored gums, drooling, and starting to slow or lag behind the bike a lot.

If you are still working on getting your dogs' stamina up for the biking, you also need to watch to not overdo things too much too quickly. Some dogs will keep running until they drop if you let them so if your dog is like this you may have to keep a closer eye on them for signs that you need to stop them. Other dogs are better about regulating themselves and will start to slow down and stop before that point.
I watch for them starting to lag behind more, for their tongues hanging, or panting in cooler weather, or if you give them a break and they are reluctant to get moving again. It's also a good idea to take breaks and check their paw pads for wear or abrasions, especially if you're biking on a hard surface or pavement and they're not used to running on those types of surfaces. Those breaks are also a good time to give them some water.Of course not TOO much water because you don't want a dog stopping to pee while you're biking (I've had that happen!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.