easiest dog sport title... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd say CA lure coursing title. Either the dog likes to chase the lure or not. No training involved. Just let go of the dog and catch them at the end and you have earned yourself a leg. I would say it's the easiest and my dog would say it's the most fun he's had earning a leg towards a title.
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
ShatteringGlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would start with the CGN/CGC and HIC. Those are the easiest in my opinion. I wouldn't call the BH easy, really. Lure coursing aptitude definitely fairly easy to get. I haven't tried yet, but I think dock diving can yield an easy title?

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteringGlass View Post
I'd say CA lure coursing title. Either the dog likes to chase the lure or not. No training involved. Just let go of the dog and catch them at the end and you have earned yourself a leg. I would say it's the easiest and my dog would say it's the most fun he's had earning a leg towards a title.
Coursing is Nikon's *absolute* favorite! It's "easy" because there is no training, but at the same time I've seen plenty of dogs fail for any number of reasons (even other herders and sighthounds). Also when we course it's usually at a combined event and when a dog puts as much into it as Nikon I have to be careful because it takes a lot out of him (when it's so hot and humid). You can't tell a dog to hold back because they have five other events later in the day when they love coursing that much! I didn't course Nikon at all at the UKC Premier and am glad I didn't (don't tell him that!).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Another advocate for coursing! So much fun. If you're doing it in tandem with conformation be sure to run after you're in the ring for two reasons; to conserve energy AND so you have a chance to check with other coursers to be sure nobody had their paws torn up. It's a hazard; I won't course my conformation dogs for that reason. Premier was horrible this year, and Perry's AKC cluster tore up three my AA's paws in one run. :/
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

The last UKC show I did my dog went straight from the course into the conformation ring (like we literally ran from the course to the ring) and he was so tired and panting. Much to my surprise he beat the other champions for his first GRCH leg! We went to the event to course and ended up entering conformation for fun but it was a success.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 07-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd say that the UD may be one of the hardest to obtain. It may be easier to train for than some others (like the HGH or the ScH3), but to actually go out and pass 3 times can be very, very difficult. There're so many ways to fail. On the other hand, you could (theoretically) do all of the training in your own basement with easily obtained equipment

I think the ScH3 is one of the hardest to train--many, many, many hours of work go into it--and driving to get to training and trials here in the US is very challenging. I suspect the HGH is similar as far as time commitment and hours of training required.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

I agree. For me the hardest part about SchH is that I just don't have access to what I need in any of the three phases. I live in the city, there is not acres of land for tracking. I can literally heel 5 steps in my yard before I have to turn. There's no A-frame or jump. I drive 2.5 hours for good helperwork. There are multiple clubs with good helpers but all seem to be 2.5 hours away. That is impossible to do more than once a week and lately it's been more like once a month. If I had access to what is needed for training, Pan would be titled by now and Nikon would be finished/SchH3.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
That is impossible to do more than once a week and lately it's been more like once a month. If I had access to what is needed for training, Pan would be titled by now and Nikon would be finished/SchH3.
(Deep sigh...)

I, oh so! feel your pain...
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Some of the weight pull titles are also easy to obtain.

CA has been the easiest for us, but if you have a dog with little chase drive or that gets overwhelmed in that environment (like our other girl) it can be difficult or impossible to get.

Dock diving also can be 'easy' or 'difficult' depending on the dog. Our dog currently just takes an awkward flop off the dock. It will take lots of training for him whereas other dogs may be naturals at it.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

An easy title would be the RN. Think one of the hardest has got to be the GMOTCH (Grand Master Obedience Trial Champion), as it should be. There are several requirements for legs. One of my friends has been trying for two years for her dog's. This dog was in the top 10 all breeds last year and is ranked in the top 10 all breeds this year as well. She trials A LOT, and qualifies. She's many times over an OTCH, the sticking point is the minimum score.

The requirements:
-must have a MOTCH title.
-a minimum score of 195 points in both the Open B and Utility B classes at the same trial at ten (10) separate trials.
-pairs must be earned under a minimum of ten (10) different judges. Pairs may be counted under two (2) different judges, provided itís the same trial.
-a high in trial with a score of 195 or higher out of the Open B class.
-a high in trial with a score of 195 or higher out of the Utility B class.
-the High In Trial do not need to be earned as part of a pair.
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.