Beginning Nosework (With Video) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Beginning Nosework (With Video)

Personally, the first session of the nosework class I'm in was a bit of a let down. The instructor set up a bunch of boxes, put a treat in one of them, and then had our dogs come in and attempt to find it. Luckily, this is (more/less) a game I've played with Pimg for some time, so it wasn't too tough for us. But she would try to trick the dog by acting like she was throwing treats into wrong boxes. I think that's pretty crappy. Way to set the dog up for success...

Anyway- I don't feel I got a ton out of this first class. I'm pretty bummed about that. I figured until I can get some birch oil (the first scent) we'll have to continue to search for treats. I also figured I'd put a single box out and have Pimg drive to the box (she had no problem here). I figured that would build an understanding of the game- "see a box- go sniff it." Then I set out two boxes, then three. At three boxes, it was clear Pimg understood she needs to go look in the boxes. So I put out all six that I just bought. That's when I started the video camera.

For now, I guess this is how we will have to train. I'm not thrilled about it- I don't think there's a whole lot of training happening here, but I guess it does set a foundation for transferring over to the oil scents...

I'm also saving up for the Andrew Ramsey DVD from Leerburg as I think I'll learn a considerable amount more from that. May has proved to be an expensive month for my training budget, and it's beyond depleted right now. Soon enough, I'll pick up that DVD though. Even so- I guess the class time is good socialization for Pimg. And we'll certainly learn at least a few things.

Anyway- here's the video from tonight. This is the first official "nosework" training session I've done with her.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training

Last edited by wildo; 05-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have heard good things about the Ramsey approach from other detection dog handlers..........so I am being open minded about seeing how this all develops.

Have thought about springing for the DVD but those darned seminar fees and hotel rooms add up (NAPWDA this fall, The Graves Seminar in VA, the Body Farm seminar in NC)

We have a progression but it is a bit different than starting with boxes, but I think the nosework program is adapated to a wide variety of dogs of differing drive levels etc.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Willy. I have been working with both my dogs this week on the nose work. Dallas picked it up right away! Anyway, around the house with Willow we have been working with as many as 7 boxes and she is doing really well. I took her to an empty church parking lot this afternoon and I scaled back on the boxes. She did good the first two searches and then not so hot on the last few. I will take her back tomorrow and see how she does.
As far as the actual class, I also didn't like how she was doing it. Of course if the dog is standing right there the dog is going to know where you are leaving the treat. It seems a little weird but I am willing to stick it out because I think it is good for Willow to go to new places and learn new things.
Couple of other things: I took your advice and bought a tug toy for Willow. It arrived today. I got a couple of good tugs from her and I will continue to work on it with her and see if she will really engage in the tug. Second, I met with Connie today for an hour and a half. She is going to try and arrange a get together if you are interested. I think that will be fun.
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
cshepherd9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepherd9 View Post
As far as the actual class, I also didn't like how she was doing it. Of course if the dog is standing right there the dog is going to know where you are leaving the treat. It seems a little weird but I am willing to stick it out because I think it is good for Willow to go to new places and learn new things.
Sheww! I was a bit nervous posting since I know you're on here, but I'm glad you also found it a bit strange. That eases my thoughts a bit! I'm also going to stick it out. Like I said- I'm not so naive to think I have it all figured out, and I'm sure I will learn a few things in class. I just want to see more actual "teaching" and less "getting lucky with the dog figuring it out in their own."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepherd9 View Post
Couple of other things: I took your advice and bought a tug toy for Willow. It arrived today. I got a couple of good tugs from her and I will continue to work on it with her and see if she will really engage in the tug. Second, I met with Connie today for an hour and a half. She is going to try and arrange a get together if you are interested. I think that will be fun.
Oh! That's wonderful! I really think that building a tug drive in Willow will reap LOTS of rewards for you! Much higher arousal levels in training will almost always yield more a more operant dog. Just remember to not get her too high. Connie also emailed me about setting up a training session. I think that would be loads of fun! I'll talk to her more about it on Monday at my shaping class.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wildo , this could be so much fun.
The dog has too much obedience that cuts into the drive , the wait in the hall way , and jumping ahead here , the grip and release and platz at the end . Take your control out of there .
Dog finds , click, and keeps looking. Dog has not made a strong indication, or any indication -- too much talking and good dogging when the dog is away from find and indication. There is nothing different in the dog from mark 08 to 16. She is just wandering around .
Don't do this when you are tired . When your voice is flat and lacking enthusiasm it works against you.

When you do agility the dog takes direction from you. When you do detection the dog needs to work on her own . The approach here is pretty much directed and controlled . There was not enough "pay" when the dog found it .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You think I sound tired and flat, lacking enthusiasm Carmen? I've been told this before by one of my agility instructors, but I really don't get it. I don't feel any of that. I do have a loud, deep voice that carries. I was talking to myself while rearranging the boxes... Maybe you confused that for tired?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

The more I have been working on this through the week it has become apparent that I have the wrong dog in the class. Dallas is LOVING this. Willow, as she always seems, is just going through the motions.

I feel bad for Dallas because she would have been a great "sport" dog when she was younger. If I had known then what I know now. But I really think this is something that she can still do even though she is older.
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
cshepherd9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.