tennis Ball sport? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

My pup is starting flyball!

One thing though, my trainer does not allow the dogs to play with balls on their own. The tug at the end has to be the higher value toy. I thought being ball crazy was a good thing for flyball, but you really want them to be tug crazy, because otherwise when they get the ball off the box, they might give up once they have their prized possession. you want them to book it back to you with the ball and drop it in favour of the tug.

My pup is just 4 months, so I can't really do any jumps with her yet, but we tried her a couple of times through the chute with the jumps low so she could try the striding. She went wild! She just loved it!! I can't wait until she's older!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Awesome, blackshep! We start them young too - Halo was already 2-1/2 years old when I found a class, but several people in our club have young puppies. We had a mini training session last night with just a couple of people, and the 6 month old puppy did passing recalls on the flat (no jumps), and then we staked the jump uprights but took out the jump portion, and he did chase recalls down the lane with Halo. The 10 week old puppy just did short restrained recalls for a tug reward.

Halo is a little too ball crazy, which is something I've had to work on with her. She loves the tug too, but at her last tournament a ball from a dog returning in the next lane rolled right in front of her face just as I was getting ready to release her to go and of course she grabbed it. She was running 3rd on the team and I knew there was no way I could get her to let go of the ball, so I just sent her and hoped for the best. She carried it over the jumps, dropped it in front of the box, jumped on the box and triggered it, then carried the RIGHT ball back! Sort of a bad dog/good dog situation, lol!

Because balls are so valuable for her I braided her a custom flyball tug with some Orbee balls on it. Here's a recent thread with some pictures: Halo: FDCh-S (Flyball Dog Champion-Silver)
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Awesome! What kind of times is your dog clocking?

My pup is WL and smaller, and lean, so I'm hoping she'll be fast! lol She ran her little heart out last night, she is too cute! My little wild monkey!

Her breeder is super jazzed about her doing flyball. lol

ETA: It's funny how we got into it. I took her at about 11 weeks old or to a flyball tourney just to socialize her. As I was driving out a lady stopped me in my car and gave me her email and said I should join their team. That there was another team that also had a black GSD and it was an awesome flyball dog! So I thought I'd check it out and the rest is history!

Last edited by blackshep; 08-22-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Halo is WL too, and on the smaller side at about 60 pounds. She's not all that fast yet because we're still fairly new and haven't had tons of experience passing, plus her box turn isn't as tight and quick as I'd llike either, although she's consistently getting all 4 feet on the box, which is good. She's only been competing since April, and started out in that tournament doing just a couple of heats per day over the course of the weekend. In her second tournament she did all 4 heats in each of her races, but she usually only does 3 or 4 races per day. She did get to do all 6 races on Sunday of her last tournament 2 weeks ago.

We did accidentally have a perfect pass at her last tournament, and with a tight pass she's in the high 4s - 4.8 something and 4.9 something. That's either outdoors on grass or an indoor soccer field with artificial grass. I've heard that dogs are generally faster on mats, which we'll see at our next tournament in a couple of weeks. With bigger passes she's usually in the low to mid 5s. Nothing earthshaking yet, but she's solid - she has never blown off a jump in competition or failed to bring the ball back, and she never drops it early either, so all of her heats have been clean.

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 08-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

BTW, what club are you with?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm up in Canada with a team called Border Patrol.

I know their fast team is running under 4 seconds if they are running well. This is on mats, not sure about grass or artificial turf.

Sounds like your dog has all the key components down, it just takes time and practice to get it all going smoothly and getting it faster and to tighten things up. At any rate, if you guys are having fun, that's all that matters!

I'm just worried that my dog will take off to chase a smaller dog or something. LOL
Old 08-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Does your club compete against Buffalo Wings? I know a member of that club from here and another GSD board. I also know someone in Total Anarchy in Victoria, BC, but that's pretty far from you.

Chasing is a really common problem in flyball, so most clubs are going to work with you on it if you do have any trouble. Halo only did it a couple of times in practice, and after getting whacked in the face with a tug by the other owner she realized that's not something she's supposed to do, and she hasn't done it since, lol!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ha ha! Well, I hope my girl learns not to chase as easily as yours!

Yes!!!! It was Buffalo Wings! They come out our way a fair bit, I think. They said someone on that team has an awesome (black, I think) GSD too, that I should watch, but I've never seen them go.

My girl is black too. Everyone thinks she's a Lab cross. lol Not that there's anything wrong with that! But she was a pretty expensive Lab cross. lol
Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

That's Trish (Caja's Mom)! They have several GSDs, Fyurie, Errow, Panther, and Caja: Flyball Tournament Video

At least two of them are black and I know one is a sable, not sure about the other one.

Ooh, found a cool pic of Fyurie: National Flyball Championships - Indy
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Caja's Mom

That's me! Fyurie and Panther are black. We haven't taught Panther anything yet. Caja and Errow are sable. Our next tournaments are our own just outside of Buffalo in Sept and then Can-Am in October. I think a few people are going to Canada in 2 weeks.

Ziberia (Panther) v alten Wingertshaus, BH, AD, CGC

Caja v. d. bosen hohle BH, SchH 1, TR2, OB2, WH, FDCH-S, CGC, TDI.
Caja's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.