Any frisbee dog people? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Any frisbee dog people?

I have a small shep she is most likely not pure pred but half GSD or more. Anyways she has started jumping for the tennis ball and is getting really good at it and looking good. She is going to be 12 months in a few weeks.

She is 22" and 45lb. I think she will be 50lb once she fills in more. Good size for frisbee.

Anyways just wondering if anyone has a frisbee dog. My dog loves fetch but temds favor the tennis ball over the frisbee we have. But the frisbee I have is more of a chew toy kind of heavy does not float. I bough a Jawz frisbee and it will be here tomorrow I can't wait. I love to play frisbee and I hope my dog will enjoy it too. So far she likes it but is not crazy about it yet.

Any other little tips to get my dog to like the frisbee over the tennis ball? I am going to feed her out of the frisbee and just make it super positive.
Pepper311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Am currently working on my 9mth to retrieve her ball, but lie down next to a frisbee..... Still trying to find a trigger for speak so I can add the mark!

Am hoping it will speed up the time to find the wayward drives on the frisbee golf course!!

Java - GSD Rescue Pup (01JUL2011)
RamRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I've read that you're supposed to get them interested in it (perhaps by playing tug) and then toss it for them. No matter what I do my dogs won't catch it.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Interesting. Haha good idea to get your dog to find the frisbee for you when golfing. How I taught my old dog to speak was with a harmonica. The sound of the harmonica would make her bark eveytime and I used that to train her to speak.

We are working on getting cookie go catch. I hold the frisbee out and give the cammand catch when she jumps and grabs it from my hand. She is getting good at that. She is enjoying the frisbee. The one I have is more of a chew toy it does not glide. With the other frisbee I am getting I should be able to throw it right so she can catch it. We will see. She cases the frisbee so we are off to a good start.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

play tug with the frisbee and throw it short distances
in the begining.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

hmm interesting thread... since the day Jinx saw a frisbee at around 6 months she instantly loved it and just instantly chased caught and brought back however she already did this with sticks balls and basically anything else we threw. We taught her as a young pup to catch things thrown to her not sure if that had any bearing as she got older on her instant interest and ability to catch and bring back anything we throw.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Karlo and Onyx love, love Frisbee!
But I limit it to low fly's because I am so afraid of injury. We don't play often either, I'm too paranoid.
I use the Jawz Hyperflite and they last forever. But they are hard on the teeth, and don't float.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Jane I'm the same way it has to be no higher then her head maybe a TINY bit over on a bad throw. I try to limit fetch in general because she is so crazy about it I'm worried about injury no matter frisbee ball stick or a stupid leaf lol. When I do frisbee's its the cheap .99 ones from petsmart nothing fancy
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got my boy interested in frisbee by first getting him to jump up and grab a ball from my hand on command, with a little running head start. Then I got him to chase a ball as I threw it, he loved chasing the ball. I transitioned over to a frisbee and had him interested in jumping up and grabbing it in his mouth then running around with it.

After establishing familiarity with a frisbee I started throwing it, but the concept was totally lost on him, I would throw it and he would run in the direction but watch the ground the whole time, then the frisbee would land somewhere next to him and he would snatch it up, this lasted a while and he wasnt getting the idea of looking up.

I ended up having to put him in a sit about 10 to 15 feet from me, then throw the frisbee towards him just like I would throw a ball to him. he had no problems tracking it in the air then and it was just a matter of time until he could catch it well. I changed it up again and instead of throwing it at him we faced each other about 15 feet apart and I threw it to forward and to the side so he had to take some steps to get over to it and catch it.

That was how we played the game for a couple months, then one day I threw it out far and he tracked it the whole way until it landed; I knew he was going to be able to catch it in mid air within a few more tries and he sure did! It was like a switch clicked when he first caught it out of mid air and he became addicted to frisbee. Now he is good at running and catching it. I can wind up and he begins his take off, then I throw it around 100 feet (not quite sure the distance), and he is already on the move, looking up to locate his target and adjusting to whichever direction the disc is heading, it all culminates in a sweet aerial catch and them him prancing back to me with the disc in his mouth all proud.

I keep the frisbee up on a ledge outside my door and every time we go outside he turns around and stares at the frisbee then at me, just aching to play... Even if its midnight and pitch black outside...
TheNamesNelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes cookie is doing great with the frisbee. She even caught it as it was going down 2 times. I made a big deal about it told because I was so excited. She is getting the hang of it. She wants to catch the frisbee but has not got the hang of it yet. She will try and kind of jump on the frisbee when it's low and about to fall. It's like she is snaking it down to the ground. She will get there. I too think soon it will just click for her.

I am still working on the catch I have to get better at throwing this frisbee is a bit heavier then ones I am use too. But it still flys well.

Last edited by Pepper311; 04-07-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.