Anybody competing in Nosework? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGSD View Post
What behaviors are acceptable as an "alert"? Or what do most folks teach as an alert?
As others have said, anything the handler can recognize as an alert is acceptable according to the K9 Nosework rules.

Our trainer teaches the sit and stare at source that Renee recommends. You can see an example of it in the video of Ruxpin that I posted above.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #42 (permalink)

Yes, I understood that the alert ,per se, was not mandatory however, not having one can increase false alert issues. Just trying to help. I like to encourage this new thing because at least it shows a bit of the dog's capability of using its nose plus I think folks might enjoy it.
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #43 (permalink)

We had some trouble with Halo looking back after finding the scent and had to work on getting a few seconds of duration with the stare, so if she looked at it and turned around we'd wait for her to turn back to it again to reward.

She also tends to offer a down rather than a sit, which is okay as long as the scent is low enough, but could be a problem if it's higher up. Down is her strongest default behavior so that's what she'll do if I don't cue something else. We did start out cuing the sit once she was indicating on the scent, but need to fade that out so she does it automatically. She's still a work in process.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #44 (permalink)

It takes time for you to get 100watts on that lightbulb..... haha
The main thing we use to get that solid sit/stare is the desire for the reward. Once they understand that the only time they get their reward is when they exhibit the response that you demand,they will be solid.
just never compromise. Always remember,when we work dogs it is a contract. The reward is their paycheck. Exhibit the behavior that I want and the dog gets his paycheck. Nothing less gets him paid

where are the rules for this? cannot find them . I have some friends interested.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #45 (permalink)

Here's the rulebook, there were some changes made in November: National Association of Canine Scent Work (NACSW)
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
Well, FYI, standing and looking at you can cause you problems. I would suggest going with the sit if you want passive. Stopping and looking back in distracting venues could be misinterpreted by you. A sit /stare at source would be easy to you to do Also,FYI for those training in this,you will be faced with the same maintenance training issues that we cops have with regard to false alerts .
Aggressive alert is also easy to train and maintain
I guess it all depends on the handler/dog. Frag never stops looking and I just "know" when he stops and looks at me after catching a whif that he's found it. It's the only time he stops!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I guess it all depends on the handler/dog. Frag never stops looking and I just "know" when he stops and looks at me after catching a whif that he's found it. It's the only time he stops!

Well, the fact remains,that if his drive for the reward is high there is a very large chance that he WILL eventually try to false alert. It is just what the majority of scent detector dogs do. I understand that you have not handled a boatload of detector dogs so you are not necessarily understanding what I am saying but trust me, they do it. Now the exception are the dogs that are not real bright and are so driven for the reward that it is there or it is not. I have two labs that way. Too dumb to figure out the false alert game. Depends on the dog. Also, since you are inexperienced, FYI, handlers can inadvertently cue the do to alert. This manifests itself in false alerts and/or dog only alerting when the handler cues. This is why we set up blind searches meaning that someone else sets up the scenario and the handler does not know where the aid. As I have said,this type of training will create the same issues that we cops and military handlers deal with because they are dogs.. LOL
Old 02-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Here's the rulebook, there were some changes made in November: National Association of Canine Scent Work (NACSW)

thank you! Notice that on the NW2 a definitive final trained response will be required and that it appears that the rules changed to present the possibility of a blank area. The blank area is where the false alert situation will come into play. Is AKC moving toward recognizing these titles?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

What I don't like is that you can't trial multiple dogs at the same trial... that really sucks when you live in an area where trials are rare... great...
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #50 (permalink)

too bad. unless they are trying to limit the number until they get well established
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.