German Shepherds Forum banner

Trieball

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  gmcwife1 
#1 ·
I've been looking to do some thing low impact w/ Daisy,who has i think herding desire and instinct but hasn't used them, I want to get a couple of trieball and teach her touch and push. it would be low impact . read the threads on here and watched the how to video on you-tube. Daisy could get exercise in our large backyard has walking her requires lifting to truck(HipIssues)and this might help her gain back some muscle.I checked Amazon ,Fosters.ZAZZLE cant find the balls. Anybody know where I can get them. Ithink since Lucky dominates fetch this could be her time w/ me.I would also like Lucky to learn but Daisy first. Any comments or ideas ?

#4 ·
Probably a stupid idea but can't you just use exercise balls?

Pic for reference of what I mean:

Although to be fair, the sneaky little fart did realise how to pull the plug out and deflate it pretty fast!

#6 ·
That exercise ball is a good idea, if it isn't too easy to pop, I think Lakota would love it.

#7 ·
Jamie - I really don't know, but I let Molly have a play with mine everynow and then and as long as it is pumped up enough she has not been able to pop it!

#9 ·
We tried it with exercise balls, I think they were called Body Balls. Got them on sale at a sporting goods store. Annie killed them all really quickly. Partly my fault, I let her play with them instead of just using them for training.

I just ordered some from ValleyVet and ordered the covers for them too, thought that would help. These are for horses, hopefully they can survive Annie. :) Not sure this is the exact link, I ordered the 25" ones. They have a pretty good selection of sizes.

Search Results - Navigator

They should be here today or tomorrow, will let you know how they are.

#10 ·
Thanks Guys. There used to be this thing in the late seventies called monester ball.at camp we used it , it was canvas and wire and about 3 and half feet wide.It was teen ager proof so maybe it could stand up to Daisy.I'm going to the link you guys provided when I get done w/work.
Maggi

#11 ·
Thanks Guys. There used to be this thing in the late seventies called monester ball.at camp we used it , it was canvas and wire and about 3 and half feet wide.
I remember having those in gym class they were huge! They were a lot more fun than those stupid 10" balls that felt like rocks when they hit me in dodge ball.:)

Not sure if you know about it, there's a Treibball group on Yahoo.
treibball : LWD Treibball

#12 ·
#14 ·
OK I ordered a Equine Jolly Mega ball from valley Vet. I think I'm going to order another two balls from School Discount. Thanks kiya and Whitesheperd. I'll see what Daisy thinks in about 7 to 10 days.

#15 ·
Our Equine Jolly Mega ball from Valley Vet came in. Nice quality, looks like it's going to be pretty rugged. A lot thicker material than the exercise balls I had.
We got the cover too so I know that will make a difference. I didn't blow the ball up all the way (almost though) so the cover is a little loose but it gives something for Annie to grab onto so she can shake it. (she loves it)

#16 ·
Cool.have fun Annie.This weekend we are going to work on push w/ the closet door. OK thats my plan ,Miss Daisy may have other plans.

#17 ·
OK got the dogs out to try trieball. Daisy was more interested in eating grass, walking her fence line and meeting the husbands friend who came to look at the mower. Lucky was interested and actually herded a little(three feet)I started pushing it and he would run next to it kind of pushng w/ shoulder but then out came his teeth and paw. As I said no he swiped and the ball is now flat. He probably nailed it w/ his teeth to. Now I see the point of the mega ball cover. Will get one and another ball.Need to work w/ Daisy alone ,which will make Lucky howl and cry of course.I think we will try touch again with her tommorrow w/ Luck outside. See if I can get her interested.Wish me luck.

#18 ·
Cool, post some pictures. I broke it to my husband last night that I want to get one. I just have to wait till he gets over the order of dog stuff I just got (deer antlers, tug toy, flea stuff) and now I want to get them a big ball....I can hear him already.

#19 ·
For Treibball, you should teach them the "touch" command with your hand to get them used to touching things with only their nose. Then you can migrate it to the ball so they learn that they can touch things without the use of their teeth. This specific funtion is called "targeting".
I am an obedience instructor and teach the "targeting" technique to teach a dog to Heel. Also, I teach my students to "bowl" with their dogs using plastic pins and balls. The dog learns to roll the ball across the floor, into the pins. It's a lot of fun and very similar to the training techniques for Treibball.

I hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.