Military Working Dog Adoption - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Military Working Dog Adoption

I would appreciate it if the mods could make this post a sticky to stay at the top of this section for handy reference to people considering adopting a retired Military Working Dog (MWD).

As of November 6, 2000 House Resolution 5314 section 2582 allows for the first time for retired military dogs be adopted by qualified applicants.

http://www.uswardogs.org/id19.html

Here is the adoption form and contact information
:
http://dodmwd.lackland.af.mil/index.htm
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Military Working Dog Adoption

I would really appreciate it if this could be made a sticky so I'll ask again. This doesn't belong in the rescue section IMO because adopting a military dog is a very different thing than other rescues and so the focus should be here in this forum which may capture the interest of people already familiar with these dogs and so be more prepared for the special needs they would have.

Please make this post more visible and at the top of the Military dogs forum so that perhaps more of these retired dogs can find homes.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

They have 4 dogs listed. Three available (1 GSD/2 Belgian Malinois).

Djinga "Della" von Rokanhaus
http://www.DELLASDIARY.COM
CWhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should send a pm to ladylaw203 since she's the only mod for this topic.
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Very cool. I called the number. The list on the web site IS NOT up to date. They are sending me the up to date list of dogs and the application. Ther is no charge for this but you must go to Texas to do the Meet and Greet. If that turns out fine, you go home with the dog. The ones for adoption are retired dogs that have aggression training. They do not know how the dogs will react to other dogs or children. That is a downfall. I will look into it though. I would love to have a partner for my Hailey.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am a Police Officer in Oklahoma and have been trying to get in touch with Lackland through email for a while now. I have used the above web page trying to find info. but every time I try it comes up as a error.Has anyone else had this problem? I am trying to get a dog for our PD. if anyone can help.
Thanks.
mg260 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've noticed that the website does seem to go down pretty randomly. Sometimes it works (it's been working fine for me the past couple of times I went to it), and sometimes it does not (it's not working now).

I went to the main Lackland AFB website at http://www.lackland.af.mil/ and that is working fine, just the MWD site is not. However, I found this on the page for the 37th Training Group on the Lackland AFB site

Quote:
Quote:The squadron occasionally has dogs available for distribution to police departments. This is due to either medical or training failures. In most cases, these dogs would make excellent working dogs but, due to time restraints we are unable to continue training. If you are interested in more information please call at 1-800-531-1066.
That number should get you in touch with the right people. Good luck!

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I have made contact with the base. I think I will be making a trip to TX. soon. There are some hoops that the base wants you to jump through before you are even aloud to go down and look at the dogs they have available. I was hoping to see what was there before I made the 8 hour plus drive.
mg260 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:There are some hoops that the base wants you to jump through before you are even aloud to go down and look at the dogs they have available. I was hoping to see what was there before I made the 8 hour plus drive.
You would not be able to get a better "picture" of what they have available before going to the base even if the site works.

All the site has is a listing of dogs that are available on the law enforcement give-away plan. The listing is just that - a list of dogs giving their name, breed, tattoo number, gender, and date of birth. No photos, no in-depth information.

As far as the hoops ... well, that's dealing with the military for you. They have to make sure you're who you say you are and all that.

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

MG260,
If your still looking for info, PM me.
K9 Osci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.