German Shepherds Forum banner

Kenneling my GSD -- need feedback

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  middleofnowhere 
#1 ·
You're going to think I'm a nut. And I am. We've had our GSD -- adopted from the military -- since May '13. So not a full year.

I travel here and there. And the plan is to go away for four nights and leave our dog in a daycare/kennel situation. It's small, family-owned and has devoted clientele that takes their dog regularly.

I've taken my dog five or six times to acclimate him. He's always very happy to get there. Jumps right out of the car and trots off w/ staff to "play with his friends" as the staff puts it. Five or so friendly dogs are in various yards and play. The staff gets to know the dogs and their personalities. Unfriendly dogs are kept on their own. The owners/staff seem very caring.

Also, the owner does her share of rescue and adopting out dogs.

Here's my problem: since we've only had our GSD for nine months now. . . I'm worried about leaving for four nights. I'm irritated at myself that I didn't give him one overnight -- that he has to start with four just sounds like a lot.

Because he comes from the military, I'm afraid he's going to think we abandoned him. My plan is take one of his blankets, a pillow, his puzzle bowl and a favorite toy. I'm hoping he knows we're coming back for him and his things.

I'm talking to my husband about reducing our trip to two nights. He's okay with it. He picked our dog up in Texas and is bonded.

Do you think we should reduce our trip to two nights? Our kids are mad about it, but I'm not sure it's right leaving him for four nights.

What do you think?

Alley

See less See more
#2 ·
He will be fine. I have been Boarding my Dogs for 30 years. They are happy and exited when they get to the kennel and when I pick them up they are always glad to see me. While they are there they are busy playing with the other dogs. I wouldn't change your travel plans, he will be just fine.

#6 ·
I had to board Viktor 2 months after I rescued him. He was used to the place as I was using it for day-care since day one. The only problem was, when I called to check on him, he wasn't eating. He will generally only eat when I am there. :( So, I did cut my trip short and come home early. :wub:

#7 ·
I agree with everyone else. We kennelled out 11 month old with our trainer for a week in January when we went on a ski trip. He posted videos of her and the other dogs playing together so we could see while we were away that she was having a great old time. She was happy to see us when we came back, but she had a great time while she was there.

The week before our trip, I took a wool blanket and had each member of the family sleep with it for a couple of days each, and she slept with it while we were away.

You're a great fur mom for worrying, but enjoy your trip!

#8 ·
All dogs are different. We've only done day boarding at our vet with our dog and she gets colitis by the 3rd day. She does not rest or sleep at all and comes home exhausted. According to the vet tech many dogs get GI upsets. With our previous dog, we left her with a family friend for 3 days at a time. She did OK the first couple days but the friend said by the 3rd day she started missing us.

If you still have time, I'd do an overnight with your dog at the kennel as a test.

#9 ·
I have time to help him "practice" with overnights -- my trip was cancelled at the last minute. I'm kind of glad because I wasn't ready to leave him.

I'd like to give him several "one-nighters" before we leave him alone for four nights.

I really appreciated all your help -- and I love the wool blanket idea that's passed around to each family member.

Alley

#10 ·
When I visited an older friend, I boarded my youngest dog - she was 1.5 to 2 yo at the time. She thought it was a blast! I walked her daily. She loved seeing me but she also loved returning to the kennel (& probably bragging to all the other dogs about her great adventure.) She really did, she pulled to get back to her kennel. (She was an amazing dog. She loved the vets - I only had one other that liked them as much.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.