The Recovery Process - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 04:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Recovery Process

I lost a heart dog this past September and have had one **** of a time getting back into the swing of things. When Eich was sick and in the days following his death I found solace in this forum every day, sometimes several times a day. It's been almost two months since he passed but it seems like much longer.

It's getting easier to do the little things that used to cause tears, like getting ice from the ice dispenser, walking up to the mailbox, or shutting off the tractor blades; Eich would charge into the kitchen for his icecube whenver he heard the dispenser run, would always accompany me to the mailbox, and came running when he heard the tractor shutting down as he knew I was finished.

I caught myself selecting the lockers in the gym numbered corrosponding to the number of days since his death and forced myself to stop.

There have been random thoughts and some conversation about another dog, but neither of us are anywhere near ready right now. I'm sure it will happen someday... I just can't say when.

Anyway, I thought I'd put this thread up for those of us who just need to check in for one another from time to time. Your comments are welcome.
Eich 3/4/01 - 9/30/08 (HSA)
rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: The Recovery Process

I'm so sorry for your loss and can understand your grief. I have lost dogs in the past and I am unfortunately embarking on that journey sooner than I'd like to admit. I have one senior with cancer whose life expectancy can be measured in months and another that is nipping at her heels. It can be overwhelming and devastating. My heart goes out to you and I know that many of us can relate.
Ilovealldogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Cary thoughts and prayers for you... it's rough going! loss can be unimaginably hard to deal with, but glad you can take some comfort here on the forums. i'm sorry for your pain- i cry reading the stories here all the time. I wish i could give him back to you... but sounds like you are doing well by reflecting on the good things he brought to your life!

sprzybyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

It is so hard when you lose a dog that you love more then life....
I know it really sucks

But in his memory and for your well being get another PUPPY
It will help you get through..... Yes you may compare but having another to take care will ease the pain

There are so many good breeders here to get another from or do a RESCUE.... I am so happy I got Jack after Ernie. Ernie was the love of my life so wonderful and so easy to train etc..... And now I have this wild child that I adore he is hilarious and while he can never replace My Ernie he is so great to have
Old 11-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

I wish I had words to help you with your grief and sadness. It is a terrible thing to go through-losing a beloved dog.

I also lost my heart dog to hemangiosarcoma. This was on 6/25/07. The grief was devastating. Beau was not only my 1st gsd but my 1st ever dog. He taught me so much.

A month after his death, I happened to be at the shelter when A/C brought in a young gsd in a humane trap. Bald from the neck down (demodex) and extremely dehydrated, the shelter thought she was feral or just extremely fearful. There seemed to be only one option until I was asked to foster her.

Even though I wasn't emotionally ready, I said yes-how could I not?
Thus began my journey with Duchess, as opposite from Beau as you could imagine. There were many times I thought I was in way over my head but Duchess has made a lot of progress and I love her dearly.

I like to believe that everything happens for a reason, and that Beau left me so I could help Duchess and Duchess could help me.

My wish for you is that Eich points you in the direction of a dog in need.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's been almost a month since I lost my Ginger and I'm still having a lot of trouble getting anything done... Every time I come up to enter the front door I expect to hear her on the other side.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hello Cary,

My first Shepherd passed away back in 2001, Mar 28. I still remember everything.

I still hurt when I think about her. I still get that lump in my throat. I still fight the tears back.

I miss her so very much. I talk about her. While I do not compare my Janka to Sarah, I do enjoy seeing the differences and similarities between both Shepherds.

I am not as devastated, but that whole time heals everything saying ... well, my loss and pain are still there. But I will not trade it for the world, because I treasure the wonderful memories she left me with to honour her.

The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Again, so sorry for your loss. Eich was so handsome and thanks for sharing his story and pics.

It took me a whole year to not cry when I thought about or brought up or looked at pics of our old gal. Funny this was posted today as she passed 2 years ago to this day as a matter of fact Not that it is still not sad, but I think after that year we began to smile and laugh more about Meeka than cry. She was the first dog I had ever lost in my adult life so I had no idea that it was going to be that hard, and so emotional. As wierd as it sounds it really took me by surprise. I am not sure that some of the raw feelings ever go away completely...

Memories do live on forever..we still talk about her all the time

hope you and your family are doing great, and my thoughts are with everyone that has had a tough time with losing their best dog friend recently and in the past.

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For me, The pain of their death is intense but it is exceeded by far by the joy of their life. My youngest at 10 is a cancer patient, my eldest at 13 has a bad back and a heart condition. I look at them and smile and laugh mostly. I look at them and I remember good times & how they made me laugh -- dog stories. I look at them and I remember dogs past. I remember their deaths, I remember much more their lifes.

When to get another has varied from dog to dog.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i lost my youngest dog due to heart failure without warning. this was one of the darkest times of my life. i cried constantly for weeks,i was inconsolable. then we went to the shelter in detroit which is **** on earth. i saw a tiny scared puppy there that looked nothing like the dog that passed, he was so docile. we adopted him and carried him around like a toy for months.he gave me joy again, a reason to get up-now travis is year and half and a joy in my life. he didn't replace cesar who i still miss terribly but he did even out the grief at the time. he needed a home and cesar's loss opened a space. losing cesar was one of the hardest things in my life but life does go on and frankly there are more dogs to love-shelter dogs who need homes,dogs in rescue that need homes, dogs on the street that need homes and believe it or not you end up loving the next one too.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.