The Recovery Process - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: The Recovery Process

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Brightelf.... Be careful listening to others say that they had a "Once in a lifetime dog." It sure is tempting even for me to think this, too, of my departed Chell. But: They are all special, and yes, sometimes one or another is a better "fit" for us, but assigning a designation like a "once in a lifetime" means we can be blinded to the specialness, the depth of devotion, of the next pair of deep brown eyes gazing up at us, trying so hard to guess what we wish of them.
Oh yes!

I've had seven dogs as an adult. Two are still with me. Each one is special - They each have brought me something different & I have loved each of them.

I can look back in sadness at their passing, each and every one of them. But I can look back in happiness at the joy & laughter they gave me, too. May your memories soon start to fill you with joy instead of sorrow.

(PS sometimes you just need to kick yourself in the butt and find another dog to get you out of the pit. I suppose other times it is better to wait. I'm not much of a waiter -- I need a dog in my life. I don't think it has ever been too soon for me and I've gone looking when I felt pretty darned raw. I think it is a good tribute to those I've had in the past that I do need a dog in my life. Afterall, isn't the joy of having them worth the substantial pain of loosing them?)
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: valbI have a bottle of her vitamins in the cupboard
still. I can't seem to throw them out now that they have expired, either.
I can relate. I still have a bunch of Eich's toys next to the fireplace where his 'toybox' was. I will also confess to not being able to wipe the dried saliva off the lower-right corner of my 60" TV; he used to bark at animals on television. Weird, and even a little gross, but it seems comforting in some way.
Eich 3/4/01 - 9/30/08 (HSA)
rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My first dog Massie was an amazing companion. I really couldn't even find words to describe her. Losing her was like losing a vital body part. She died almost exactly a year after my father died and the combination threw me into a depression that lasted a long time. It wasn't until I adopted Basu that I really was able to work through my grief and get to the acceptance stage. I didn't think it would help but it did. Basu was a very special dog and needed a lot of extra work to get over his fear of people. I know that Massie led him to me in order to help with my healing process.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Basu, like lots of other dogs, was and still is a healer.

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Brightelf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
lkm

I remember one beutifull summer day,I packed a lunch and a few biscuits for my shepherd "Lucky".We walked to a nearby mountain and start a great hike,we were heading to the headwaters of the mountainside river.

Along the meandering trail we saw remnants of the past,logging equipment rusting away almost to dust,further trecking up the trail a babbling stream at our sides.We both saw brook trout jumping at the newly hatched mayflower bugs,I rested awhile and let "Lucky" frolic in the warm water pools nearby.A few hours into the hike we came very near to the top and saw more remnants of the pioneer day lumber mills,old saw blades,tattered porcelain pieces from the early chinese labourers.

Along the trek we said hello to the other hikers mostly passing us,in the mountains the weather can change in minnuts,a major rain storm started.I along with my wonderfull pet dog,both went under a large Fir true to stay dry.I looked at Lucky face and thought to myself what a wonderfull dog....

The rain stopped and I decided was time to walk back home due to the weather concearns,we were mayby minnits away from the top,which was our destination.

I write of this most wonderfull summer day,for a few days later,Lucky was no longer with us,maybe for this accident prone german shepherd the name "Lucky" was not apre-pro.Though she made my life lucky to have her by my side,even if for a short time. oj not easy for anyone to loose a beloved pet
Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was blessed to have known several special dogs in my lifetime. They come in unexpected packages--an owner surrender.....abandoned by a family.....abused.....a rare blood disorder.....time and time again I thought I had known the privilege of owning a heart dog until I rescue yet another special dog. I feel truly thankful for each one who taught me to relish the small victories of each day.
2dogcrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

Today was the long-anticipated first significant snowfall here in southern NY. Like most dogs, Eich believed snow fell for his sole enjoyment.

After clearing the driveway I spread some of his ashes onto the fresh snow in the backyard. He's still with me.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

2dogcrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #29 (permalink)

Just checking in - things have been getting better, although there are still frequent mishaps that catch me off-guard. Just last night while finishing a chapter in bed before lights out, for instance. Rhonda moved her foot in a way that felt like Eich shifting at the foot of the bed. It's been a rough month between things like that and the first big snow.

Anyway, I wanted to say Happy Holidays to everyone, especially those visiting this section, since I know you're the ones who, like me, need some additional comfort during this time of the year.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

Cary, I visit this section because the bond between you and Eich is inspiring. I use the present tense, because you feel the bond to this day.

You both are teaching me something about life.

Mary Jane
Mary Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.