The Recovery Process - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: The Recovery Process

Quote:
Originally Posted By: kelsoIt took me a whole year to not cry when I thought about or brought up or looked at pics of our old gal.
What brought me to post this thread was a conversation I had with my cousin who knew of Eich's death but did not know the story. I got as far as one week post-op. When I got to the part where I noticed his dramatic loss of stamina, I lost it.

I can see myself going a year before I am able to really talk about it.

I just noticed that this thread got stickied - I am truly humbled and I hope many others find it for relief from what has to be one of the toughest human experiences.
Eich 3/4/01 - 9/30/08 (HSA)
rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Eich's best dog-friend was a male sable who belongs to a good friend of mine. They were only 6 months apart in age and became fast friends. I was over at 'Romulus's house last night for the first time since losing Eich. I brought him a tennis ball from Eich's collection.

After settling down I tossed Rom the ball. His reaction was unexpected. He caught it, but immediately put it on the ground and sniffed it for a good 15 seconds. He then picked it back up gingerly, unsure, held it for a few seconds, then put it back down and looked at me. He had never hesitated over sharing a toy before. I swear he knew. We ended up playing with the ball all night, and I felt a **** of alot better for the time being. I guess I'll be needed a few more 'playdates' in the future.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Paul drives the garbage truck for my town; he's been picking up my block as long as I've been there. Paul had GSD's in the past and would stop and play with Eich whenever he could, always recalling his beloved female.

This morning I was leaving early and ran in to him. He asked, "How's the 'Big Guy'?", referring to Eich. I gave him the news and felt like I ruined his day. I said "It's been two months and I can still hardly talk about it." Paul said "It's been ten years for me and I can't either", as his eyes watered over.

Is this madness?? I've lost family members haven't felt this lousy. At least seeing others feel the same way makes me feel like less of a mental case.

We had a couple of 60-degree days here this week. During one of them I was walking into the back door at work, thinking what a nice day it was and how I should be outside, when Eich ran past me on the right side and looked up at me with the look on his face he always had after being asked "You want to go in the car?" I actually said 'Hi, Eich' before walking into the building. It was a good thing until I tried to tell Rhonda about it.

Here's to better days ahead....
Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hi I lost one too had her for 15 yrs
Mitchooooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hi I lost one too had her for 15 yrs. good news it has been 8yrs, an now i'm getting 2 females dec 10
Mitchooooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This coming March it will be two years since I lost my Tamsen.

It's very silly but I have a bottle of her vitamins in the cupboard
still. When we got new girl Sierra the vitamins would still have
been good and I could have given them to her but I didn't. I
can't seem to throw them out now that they have expired, either.
They are just there in the cupboard and I look at them every morning
when I take my vitamins. Just look, and think. With a big ol' lump
in my throat. I still miss her so very much. Yes, I do think of happy
times sometimes and that's nice but I just mainly miss her.

Tamsen's Dogster page:
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=27525
valb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had my boss, a vet come to my house to put Ringo to sleep 5 years ago. It was peaceful with Ringo's head in my lap the whole time. My husband, who never had a pet growing up until we met, cried as he passed. He told friends that he had cried harder for Ringo then when his own father died.

We now have Kai. He came to us three weeks after Ringo passed. I had been on the computer researching kennels for our new puppy when we were ready. Heidi Theis emailed me a picture of two puppies that she had and if I was interested. I am a big one for " it happens for a reason". I think Ringo and my first shepherd, Czar sent Kai to us knowing our house would not be complete without a shepherd in it.

When the right time comes your house will be filled with another shepherd who will not take the place of your last, but add to the love for the breed. Peace to you all.

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
srfd44-2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Cary, I'm so sorry for your loss. You will know when you are ready for a new pup to run around your house, but as of now it sounds like you need to recover from the loss. We lost our Ari almost a year ago and there are still thing here that bring tears to us as we have Ari's sister Aspen and she does so many things thing that bring Ari back to us. You will know when its time.
shepherdbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Chuck-- take all the time you need, Cary. Eich was so close, and is still so close, to your heart.. as he always will be.

What I learned after my last GSD passed away at age 15:

Be careful listening to others say that they had a "Once in a lifetime dog." It sure is tempting even for me to think this, too, of my departed Chell. But: They are all special, and yes, sometimes one or another is a better "fit" for us, but assigning a designation like a "once in a lifetime" means we can be blinded to the specialness, the depth of devotion, of the next pair of deep brown eyes gazing up at us, trying so hard to guess what we wish of them.

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Brightelf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hi Cary -

I know it's extremely difficult to recover from the loss of a special furkid, and I agree with taking all the time you need to grieve and heal from the loss.

But I also believe there's a time when you just have to come to the realization that the love you had for Eich, and the emotions that you're still feeling over his loss, could be transferred into love toward another dog out there somewhere who is looking for someone just like you.

Believe me, I know all too well the pain of losing a special furkid, as do many of the others here, and I am in no way telling you how to grieve and heal, nor am I suggesting to get another dog to replace Eich - that would be impossible. But you have to know that Eich would not want you to continue to feel so bad - and he knows you'll always love him. He'd likely be very proud to share you with another lucky furkid and would understand. And that new lucky furkid might be looking for you right now and asking for a chance to share your life if you'll let him/her do so.

Take care, Cary.

Kaiser - 8 yrs old

Ray (Radar) - 8 yrs old - At the Bridge
raysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.