The Journey - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 02:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: The Journey

I hope it does help your sister, Jackie [img]graemlins/hug.gif[/img]
Jacqui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2004, 10:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

Jacqui,

A good friend of mine called me Saturday night to tell me it was time for her girl to be put to sleep. She knew that I would want the chance to say "goodbye".

I remembered reading this so I printed it and brought it to her. I know it helped as it has helped anyone who has read it.
Thank You,
Gail Ann
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2004, 08:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

After many many years of owning cats and dogs, about 18 years ago we acquired our first GSD - an adult male. A rescue. And when several years later when we lost him, I was shocked at the total loss I felt. He loved kid's so much, for weeks after, we had neighborhood kid's knocking on the door, wanting to play with him. We then acquired another rescue, this time a female pup, after her mother had been abandoned - lost her a couple of weeks ago. Same emotions. Seems such an abrupt description for a life time of love. A week and a half ago we acquired another rescue, a male, appx. 1 1/2 years of age -and he shows all signs of being a worthy successor to the traits that have endeared those before.
And Jacqui, your post has expressed more beautifully that I ever could, what traits the GS possesses, that could bring out the better sides of ourselves.
Mundt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Very beautiful. Only a true pet lover will appreciate this. Thank you for sharing.
Fletch's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

WOW! What beautiful sentiment! My boys are sitting here looking at me boohooing and trying to comfort me.....That truly says it all.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2004, 08:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing it with us.
srfd44-2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2004, 10:14 PM   #27 (permalink)

I wish you strength and courage for what you have to go through tomorrow... Saying good-bye is the hardest thing to do... My heart is still aching from the loss of my Timber... I don't know what else to tell you...
obadiamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2004, 09:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Maverick,

I too had a special dog in my life. His name was Czar and he was my first GSD.I was very lonely at that time in my life and he was my buddy who did everything with me.I got married and became pregnant with our son. I guess Czar figured I would be okay now and not lonely. He ended his journey with me and began his new journey. He was six and developed Lyme and in the end it was an abdominal mass that claimed him.
I have just gotten my second shepherd since Czar. My first after Czar was Ringo and he was my son's protector if he needed it or not. He left us after 13 years for his journey. The new puppy, Kai is 6 months old and just a bundle of fun. They all have lessons for us to learn and Kai is teaching us how to have fun and enjoy life.
Think of Maverick often and he will let you know that he is around by little things such as the breeze blowing or a bird or butterfly that comes out of no where. They will always be with us and we will always feel their love.
srfd44-2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2004, 10:57 AM   #29 (permalink)

Thank You, That was absolutly beautiful.
MASONSTORM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2004, 09:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

This is another one that I like:

Living Love

If you ever love an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember...
The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your young new friend. You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed. You may have asked numerous opinions of many vets, or done long research in finding a breeder. Or, perhaps in a fleeting moment, you may have just chosen that silly looking mutt in a shelter--simply because something in its eyes reached your heart. But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch it explore, and claim its special place in your hall or front room--and when you feel it brush against you for the first time--it instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through the many years to come.
The second day will occur eight or nine or ten years later. It will be a day like any other. Routine and unexceptional. But, for a surprising instant, you will look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth. You will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy. And you will see sleep where you once saw activity. So you will begin to adjust your friend's diet--and you may add a pill or two to her food. And you may feel a growing fear deep within yourself, which bodes of a coming emptiness. And you will feel this uneasy feeling, on and off, until the third day finally arrives.
And on this day--if your friend and God have not decided for you, then you will be faced with making a decision of your own--on behalf of your lifelong friend, and with the guidance of your own deepest Spirit. But whichever way your friend eventually leaves you---you will feel as alone as a single star in the dark night.
If you are wise, you will let the tears flow as freely and as often as they must. And if you are typical, you will find that not many in your circle of family or friends will be able to understand your grief, or comfort you.
But if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through the many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul--a bit smaller in size than your own---seems to walk with you, at times, during the lonely days to come.
And at moments when you least expect anything our of the ordinary to happen, you may feel something brush against your leg--very very lightly.
And looking down at the place where your dear, perhaps dearest, friend used to lay---you will remember those three significant days. The memory will most likely be painful, and leave an ache in your heart---As time passes the ache will come and go as it has a life of its own. You will both reject it and embrace it, and it may confuse you. If you reject it, it will depress you. If you embrace it, it will deepen you. Either way, it will still be an ache.
But there will be, I assure you, a fourth day when---along with the memory of your pet---and piercing through the heaviness in your heart---there will come a realization that belongs only to you. It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with each animal we have loved, and lost. This realization takes the form of a Living Love---like the heavenly scent of a rose that remains after the petals have wilted, this Love will remain and grow--and be there for us to remember. It is a love we have earned. It is the legacy our pets leave us when they go. And it is a gift we may keep with us as long as we live. It is a Love which is ours alone. And until we ourselves leave, perhaps to join our Beloved Pets--it is a Love that we will always possess.
-Written by Martin Scot Kosins,
Author of "Maya's First Rose"
Romanoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.