The Journey - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2003, 04:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: The Journey

Now that I've finished most of my weeping and snotting I think I can post a reasonably coherent reply. I had to copy and save that piece. Now I can't look at my dog w/o busting up all over again! Puts things into perspective for sure.
JennysMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2003, 05:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to the board, JennysMaster [img]graemlins/hello.gif[/img]

It seems I should have handed out tissues to all who've read this. It is a beautiful and thought provoking read.
Jacqui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2003, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Beautiful and really true ! Thanks for these words! [img]graemlins/hello.gif[/img]
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2004, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

What a beautiful poem. Thank you for posting it.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2004, 10:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

I printed this out and will frame it next to a picture of my GSDs. Thank you so much for posting these amazing words.
NYCdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Wow Jacqui, I just read this now. Thanks for posting it here, it's absolutely beautiful.

rhaya [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2004, 05:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

Words are not enough to describe this post.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

I just saw this, and how very appropriate.. because tomorrow, monday the 12, we will come one journey's end. Our GSD/Border Collie mix will quietly go to sleep and with that, we will reach the end of a 12 and half year saga filled with nothing but love, devotion, friendship and loyalty.

We adopted our Mavrick from a local SPCA 12 and half years ago. We actually had gone to the shelter to look at another dog, but as it turned out, she'd been adopted earlier that day. As we looked through the kennel, we discovered another dog who really grabbed our attention. He was just one year old and he'd been abandoned by his previous owners. We though we'd like to meet him and when we did we knew instantly he was the dog we were meant to have. We made the required arrangements and took him home the following day.

The short story is that for 12 years, Mavrick has been that once in a lifetime kind of dog. Throughout his life, he was never a problem. He was never aggressive, he never growled or barked or nipped. And although we never actually trained him or worked with him, somehow, he always just seemed to know what you wanted or needed. He would come, sit, stay, go to his crate and even leave the kitchen on command during dinner time. Mavrick has been our watchdog, our babysitter, our playmate, our walking partner, and most of all our loyal friend. He always had the time and energy to meet you and the door and let you know how much he'd missed you while you were away. He was always up for a good game of tug of war or chase the ball or hide and seek. And regardless of whatever else was going on, Mav wanted to be with us. We'd had dogs before, but the truth is, it was Mavrick who taught us, and showed us just how incredible having a dog can be.

When Mavrick was 9, he unfortunately got lyme and it really slowed him down. Around the same time he also started to develop arthritis in his joints. But even in a "slower" mode, Mavrick was always happy to see you, always happy to have his ears scratched, and always happy to sit and relax in your lap for some late night tv. He may not have been as fast or as agile as he once was, but he never waivered from being a loyal friend and companion. And every now and then he'd still occaionally chase a ball, play tug of war or jump up and say hello.

Over the last couple of years, Mavrick really slowed down. He was really starting to show his age. It was then we got our first GSD and then a year later got our second GSD. The truth is, Mavrick probably could have done with the Shepherds, but in true Mavrick style, he never complained, never fought, and never caused a problem of any kind. Through the raising of two GSD puppies, he put up with all the playing, all the chasing and all that goes along with having puppies. And through it all, Mavrick, like always, had time to say hello, or snuggle up in your lap.

Over the last month, Mavrick has truly been struggling. It's come to that point now, where there just isn't much more to do. Obviously, it's been very difficult and we've dreaded having to come the place we are now, but in the end, we feel that of all our options, this is the best thing we can do for our Mavrick.

So tomorrow morning, we will all go to the vet's office and we'll sit with Mav in our laps, just like we always have, and see Mavrick off to a better place. I know it will be hard, in fact my eyes are now filled with tears just thinking about it, as they've been pretty much all day. We will miss Mavrick dearly, but at the same time, we'll have his memory in our hearts and no force on earth will be able to take that away. We will always know how much he loved us and how loyal and devoted he was. We will always know it was Mavrick who taught us just how deeply the relationship between a dog and it's owner can go. We will think of him and smile. And we will forever be thankful that we were allowed to experience the things we did with our "mavvy dog"...

Dear Mavrick, we must bid you farewell. Thank you, for everything. And as you set out on this, your final journey, know that we will miss you and we will always love you....

[ April 11, 2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: mavrick ]
Old 06-01-2004, 12:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Printed and on my fridge and by my desk
to remind me to take the time to see the world through their eyes again.
beautiful
Old 06-01-2004, 03:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Jacqui

You have turned me into a blithering wreck !!!!!

Thanks for sharing this - My sisters dog is very ill at the moment I will forward it on to her, it may help.

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.