German Shepherds Forum banner

Another loss to Rainbow Bridge :( Tank, my old poop.

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  wolfstraum 
#1 ·
Hello All, I have a sweet, quirky little Chinese Crested boy, and a wonderful, beautiful German Shepherd girl, who are both youngsters - they will be two years old in October and November, respectively. For 19 years, I had pugs and French Bulldogs in my house. Saturday, my Tank went to the Bridge. He was the frenchie I always talked about with an attitude problem. He was such a old poop. A canine behaviorist reject. He didn't get along with any other dog. Always grouchy, growling at the other dogs, and a challenge to us. But he was loved. He got very sick very quickly. The vet presumed, and I agreed, that it was a liver issue. He quit eating, became more lethargic than usual, his oral mucosa was dry, white, and had a slight yellow tinge. His stools were minimal because he refused to eat, but they were an orangey color (brown stool plus yellow jaundiced color equals orange). His skin took on a jaundiced tint the last day. He was given IV fluids, IM pain meds and antibiotics over two days, but nothing helped. I went to my tried and true boiled chicken and rice, but he never took a bite. My vet here in Costa Rica said exactly the words I needed to hear as a retired Hospice nurse - "quality of life", "burden versus benefit". He was the last of my original pack, which marks the end of an era. Crap. It never gets any easier. I have lost four old dogs in the last year and a half since moving to Costa Rica, and I lost three in the year before that in the States. My vet here told me he had never seen a pug as old as my last one (16 years and four months), or a frenchie as old as my Tank (12 years). He said "Congratulations", I guess about getting them to that ripe old age. I am so tired of this heartache, seven times in a little over two years. Thank for letting me talk - I know that you all understand.

See less See more
#4 ·
So sorry for your losses.I recently lost my little guy too,who was also quite the curmudgeon.They may be tiny but such huge personalities!R.I.P. Tank.

Reactions: maxtmill
#16 ·
It is never easy to lose any of them....a long time friend, even though blessed with many years, is often the hardest on the heart....we love them, we ease their way, and gather the grief tempering it with the love of years....

I am so sorry for your losses.....I really understand and share your grief

Lee

Reactions: maxtmill
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.