Ghost Sounds After Loss - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Ghost Sounds After Loss

It will be 3 years this July we lost Rocky to a ruptured tumor on his spleen. We tried everything we could to save him. He was 13 yrs. when he passed. Truly one of the best dogs I've had. Gentle, smart, strong, protector, fun, just a great companion. My wife misses him the most probably because he was a momma's boy. He loved his momma. We were all present when he received the shot. I myself will never forget the look on his face when they gave it to him because he was looking directly at me when he went. We all had the chance to say goodbye.

After his passing, it was extraordinarily tough. Rocky stepped into our lives as a replacement from our breeder for another pup who tragically passed on us. He filled a hole. He filled that hole in our lives and then some. Rocky himself had been rejected from another buyer who was intended on breeding him. But one of his testicles failed to drop so he was returned to the breeder. Then we came along. It was like we were destined to be together. We had him fixed and all was good for 13 yrs.

We had the same routine every morning. Rocky was so woven into our daily lives we didn't noticed until he wasn't there anymore. He had a full run of the house, whether we were there or not. He was a great dog. So he was everywhere with us. He was part of our morning routine as well. I usually got down to the kitchen first and he stayed with my wife while she got ready for work then they both came down the stairs. I knew she was about to come out because he would shake his head setting off the jingle from his tags before the door opened. then he'd come down and outside to potty. The morning after and continuing for several months, I would still hear the jingling sound before my wife came downstairs. I could still hear his usually "huff" when he laid down in our bedroom. It just made the letting go part harder, but at the same time, sometimes easier. Hard to explain really.

Do I believe in "the Rainbow Bridge"? I don't know. I think it's there to help cope with the loss. Do I believe in an existence beyond our world? Without a doubt. I've been told by people who I've shared this with that the sounds are a product of so many years of routine. But, I refuse to believe that. I think Rocky was still around after he left. Even though they have faded, I still hear things sometimes and it's almost 3 years now. In my mind, he's still around. I think the emotional ties are as strong now as they were then. I've had a lot of other dogs, mostly Shepherds. Rocky, was one of those dogs, that was just different. He was special.

Has anyone else heard sounds after a passing or still are? Or am I certifiably kooky?
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not kooky. After my heart dog died I swore I would never get another dog, for a long time after I could feel him lie down next to me, hear him jingle, I even swore he was messing with the cat, and all of this happened even after I got another dog. When that dog passed last year due to cancer I heard his toenails on the floor all the time, I could feel his presence at night, and I swear he was the one who led me to adopt the dog I have now. I think if they are in your heart, they will always be around!
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am sorry you had such a loss and I know it must have been so difficult, I cannot even imagine my life without Titan, but I imagine I will be making a similar post when the time comes.

I haven't lost a dog yet.. not at least to that extent. I lost a puppy once and she hasn't been replaced yet.. but she wasn't yet woven into my daily life at the time.. we were still bonding.

I will comment on my beliefs though.. I do believe in an afterlife of sorts. I am a Christian and fully believe that God sends down spirits (or whatever) to look after us/comfort us/ etc. I fully believe this to be true even when it comes to a loss of an animal and don't think you're crazy. To me, and my beliefs, it says that God has sent Rocky to be a guardian of sorts and he makes himself aware at some points, jsut to let you know he's still around... now you can call me a kook but your story sounds nomal to me in that sense.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
dOg
Elite Member

certifiable, no doubt...
but take that with a huge pile of salt from a fellow kook who still talks with creatures large a small who no longer grace this plane with a meat coated skeleton! we lost a way too young little one a few weeks ago, and I swear I felt her nestling in the crook of my bent knees as I napped as she always would jump up there and fluff about before joining a snoozefest...it woke me up, made me tear up wondering was I simply having a psychotic episode, or what was it? nobody knows for sure, and it was the realization that can't really happen anymore that made me sad. Our memories will only become more cherished as time goes by, and after hosting dogs for over 4 decades, I've gone through this several times. It's the unexpected too young to go tragedies that are the most shocking, but they all shake our imagined realities to the core and rattle our routines. Once I kept finding myself staring into an open fridge, until I realized that very interested nose nudge simply wasn't going to happen, no matter how many times I tried...
if we are nuts, at least it's good to know we have lots of company!

Another can't replace our angels, but we'll get some new routines and learn some new stuff along the way, and that will help.

When I go to the bridge, it'll be a huge party, no doubt.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Our last gsd Omy loved being outdoors even though she had full access to enter the house. She would make a bed in the leaves outside of the sliding glass door in our bedroom. I heard her crunching through the leaves, turning around and around to pack them down, then lie down in them with that same huff. I heard her do that every night after we had to put her down. I still hear it occasionally and now it makes me smile.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I heard my cat meowing after he died.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Certifiable, and so am I. My Dane, Freeway, still rests in her urn near my bed. For months after her passing I would hear, even feel her brush past my hand. On a few occasions the bed behind my legs would be warm when I woke up.
Sabs urn has now joined Freeways-I joke about my 'dog in a box' collection-and I have yet to move her bed from beside mine, largely because in the window between sleeping and waking I still hear her muttering and snoring. I still feel her head pressing against me sometimes and I am often caught off guard by the sound of her padding along beside me through the house. In fact my husband swears he has seen her standing in the bedroom doorway twice, and he is a definite non-believer.
Someone on a radio show I was listening to years ago said 'Your dog was your best and most loyal companion in life. Why would something as small as death change that?'
I don't believe they ever leave and I think that when we need them they are but a whisper away. All we need to do is listen with our hearts.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For me it was a cat I was deeply bonded to. That cat slept beside me every night while we were together. Every night he would purr me to sleep.

Then after he passed (mind you at the time I was definitely a non-believer in after life) I'd see a small shadow, here and there. I'd brush it off as my imagination. At night as I was dozing off I would feel the bed move, just the slightest movement as of a cat jumping up to settle in beside me.

That went on for several weeks.

Then I had a very vivid dream, my cat (a beautiful maine coon cat) was there in my house, happy, healthy, vibrant. I'm not one to have such vivid dreams that I remember as though it was a movie I had just watched. When I woke up I remembered every moment of the dream and just knew my beloved pet was O.K. and I didn't need to feel so bad or mourn him so much. I still missed him greatly and still tear up if I think about him and it did test my beliefs.

I think we have pets come into our lives that I call 'soul pets'. They seem to connect on a deeper level with their human family.

I have a suggestion Jafo, if you'd like to try it. Get a digital recorder, the type students use to record lectures and such. At the times you hear the sounds run it for awhile, then play it back and see if you can capture the sound. Then you'll know it's not just your imagination if it can be recorded.

Or....you can just let it be a nice reminder of your Rocky....too.

Thanks for sharing Rocky's story.

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 04-18-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks for sharing. I don't know the genre of music you all listen to, but mine is mainly rock music. There is a group called Alter Bridge who's lead singer Myles Kennedy wrote a song in remembrance of a mentor. It's called "Blackbird". It's a very emotional song, but there is a verse that is in the song I'd like to share that to me is very strong with emotion.

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again.
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default If you are kooky, I'm ready for the bounce house

After our Jack passed, I heard nails on the hardwood floors, the jangle of tags, and his sigh from when he would flop down for a nap. Heard the sounds for months and months. I would wake up swearing I'd heard his nails on the floor and thinking, "he needs to go out." I'd be in the kitchen ready to open the door before I remembered he was gone.

It made our house so sad and lonely to hear the ghost sounds that we hating being home without Jack and found lots of excuses to not be home. 6 months after he passed, we sold the house and moved! While there were a few other reasons for moving like wanting more space, being tired of the rental across the street-- a full 50% of the reason for moving was the loss of the dog.
Oliver'smom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.