Farewell, beloved Simon - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Farewell, beloved Simon

At the age of 11.5 years, my beloved Simon crossed the bridge yesterday.

About two weeks ago, we got the devastating news that Simon had a bone tumor in his front leg, near the elbow. We thought we were going in that day for xrays that would show some arthritis, or possibly some elbow dysplasia, that was causing a new limp in the front. Instead the xrays showed a tumor. After consulting with the state vet school's radiologists and oncologists, all agreed -- cancer. Then other tests confirmed it. We were still waiting on the last biopsy results to determine whether it was osteosarcoma in a very rare location, or synovial or histiocytic cancer instead. None of those would have been curable, but it mattered for treatment to know what kind of cancer it was.

Working with the oncology department, we were prepared to do radiation treatment and chemo once the type of cancer was identified definitively, as they thought it might give him as much as a year with great quality of life. He had a good acupuncturist and holistic vet on his team to give him excellent integrative care while going through radiation and chemo. Our university-based team devised a cancer-specific home cooked diet for him. The new integrative medicine program at the vet school thought Simon was a great candidate to show the power of acupuncture and Chinese medicine to extending quality of life in combination with full cancer treatment (radiation and chemo). He was going to get everything they could offer to extend his quality of life as long as possible. The team thought he'd do great with the treatment protocol they were developing for him. We were so optimistic last week that we'd get more time.

Alas, the cancer didn't give us a chance to fight it. It had a sneaky trick, days before the first radiation treatment. The tumor weakened the bone so severely that the simple act of trying to stand up caused a pathological fracture through the middle of the tumor -- a "worst case scenario" kind of risk with any bone cancer. His tumor was in a spot that bears a lot of weight, an unlucky location with an unlucky disease. The bone fractured, right through the middle of the weakest spot in the middle of the tumor.

Pathological breaks do not heal, as there's tumor and dead bone on both sides. It nearly always means then end, especially in an old dog whose hips in the rear are so arthritic they couldn't handle him trying to be a tripod. He was looking at a future full of a lot of pain, with no good ending. All our plans to fight the cancer collapsed.

I promised him when the cancer was diagnosed that I wouldn't let him suffer, so I had to keep the promise and let him go -- even though I'm not ready to live in a world without him in it. He was hurting, so we had to make the hard decision to say goodbye. He died very peacefully, surrounded by love.

Simon came to us over a decade ago as a young, scared pup, saved by Westside Shepherd Rescue from a high-kill shelter in Los Angeles. A wonderful foster home gave him a bridge to a happy future. When we lived in L.A., he had friends all over town. Past and former employees of his doggie day care place recognized him on walks and at dog parks and came up and greeted him by name. Neighbor kids came running out of homes to see him on walks. He made people he met feel like they were all his special friends. He loved making humans laugh and spread joy as easily as breathing.

I miss my dear friend terribly.

Magwart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh, Magwart, I am so sorry for your loss! It sounds like he was such a special dog... and what a special home he found with you! My condolences to you and your family.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful guy. Peace to you and your family.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am so very very sorry for your loss of this gorgeous boy

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

So sorry for your loss. Such a difficult time to lose a friend.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss of Simon Rest In Peace Handsome boy
Loneforce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What a tragic loss, he sounds like a very special dog.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm so sorry RIP Simon

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
tottie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No matter how long we have them, it is never long enough....the greatest gift of love is letting them go even though it tears our hearts ...

Simon.........may there be plenty of balls and friends while you wait at the Bridge...

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Simon was a grand boy.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.