Tessa passed away last night - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Default Tessa passed away last night

I don't know if i should be posting... I don't know if this is the right section for what I'm saying, etc. But my head is just spinning and I guess I need to get some words out.

Tessa died in her sleep last night sometime between 2am and 6am. I fell asleep sometime after 2, and I have a medication alarm that goes off at 6 am. I have this OCD thing, I've done it for as long as I can remember, where when my pets are sleeping I look to make sure they're breathing and if I don't see that fast enough I wake them up. So I said Tessa's name, and usually she'd shift her weight, lift her head and I'd hear her collar, etc. Sometimes she's sleeping too soundly and doesn't respond the first time. So I said her name louder, and nothing. Thats happened before too with the pets and I had to touch them. But I reached to where she was laying and she didn't move.. I grabbed her collar and jerked it... It was at that moment I knew. But I just kept jerking her collar...

Ok, fastforwarding before I become a complete mess again. I don't understand what happened. She was only 10. I had a vet appt for her monday because she had been acting like her stomach was upset, and completely refused food on wednesday and so thursday I called the vet. She also refused food last night. About 6 weeks ago she had an upset stomach, I was staying with my bf and she also seemed constipated so I was giving her gas x to see if that helped, milk as a laxative, and feeding pumpkin and egg. So I wasn't too concerned this time, but she wasn't walking much, or running/playing with Emma so I got scared. Then the complete food refusal so I decided to take her to the vet. I had no idea I should have been rushing her to the ER vet...

I feel like I failed her. Like I missed something. I should have gotten her to the vet sooner, 6 weeks back I was going back and forth debating the vet and then she got better.

Now the thing that sent my head reeling and why I needed to get the words out. I'm sitting in bed with my laptop and trying to distract myself, my head is pounding from the hours of sobbing... And I looked over to the blanket where Tessa had been laying and I saw BLOOD. Its not a lot of blood, it didn't soak through the blanket. The spot looks like it would have been directly under where she was laying, not like right where her mouth or tail was. My roommate moved her for me and I wasn't there so I hadn't noticed then. I don't understand what it means... What did I miss?!

I'm not sure what to do with her and I don't want to have to decide but I know I need to and fast. When Logan passed I wanted to cremate him but didn't have the money. He passed while I was at work and they buried him on the property of the riding stable. My roommate said he can bury Tessa here, but I'd have to decide fast due to the rain. Is the ground frozen? Another concern is the backyard here floods severely, so they've buried their cats on the side of the house up front to not be in the flooding.

Random... But like I said my mind is spinning. My roommate asked me where I wanted him to put Tessa in the garage, so I said I'd lay a blanket down and another blanket for him to cover her. When I went out there I couldn't just lay the blanket on the concrete floor. Its ridiculous but I grabbed this foam and put it down first and the blanket on top.

More mind spinning... My mom and I don't get along, there was abuse when I was growing up and she's just a selfish person. I haven't really talked to nearly 2 years because of opening myself up to her after her criticizing me for not doing so, and then her complete lack of reply after. I keep thinking of all the times my mom criticized me and said how I shouldn't have more than one dog, should rehome one of the dogs.... And thinking she'll be "happy" now that I've only got one dog. And I've been criticized by other family members saying similar in the past couple years because I've been struggling.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense. Its still pretty early in the morning so my head is just reeling still and I don't know who to talk to.
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lin, I just want to say I'm sorry for your loss of Tessa. I know it's hard. I don't know what to tell you to help you wrap your mind around this though. I wish I did.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So sorry to hear this.....it's ok to ramble and be upset....I remember some of your old posts and know how much Tessa meant to you....

It sounds to me as if she had hemangiosarcoma...they often have episodes like you describe, when there is a small bleed and then recover....I know of quite a few dogs recently with this same history - one vet even diagonsed constipation on a dog 2 or 3 times when it was hemangio on a friends dog.....when this started happening to Kougar last spring, I knew what was going on, and after a 2 day spell and then he started to feel better, I let him go, knowing a more major bleed was imminent. His mother, grandmother, litter sister, half brother and a slew of other related dogs had hemangio.... another friend and board member just lost a 15 year old and it was probably a similar thing. but there is NOTHING you can do for hemangio....nothing! Do not beat yourself up!

Take comfort in knowing it is not a painful end, it is just tiredness and lethargy....they go quietly and she was where she wanted to be - by your side....

Tessa

<<<hugs>>>

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry for your loss RIP Tessa

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like Tessa's end was quick and relatively painless. You need to block out your Mom and the other people who take a mean spirited joy in harassing you. What is important is the love you had for Tessa and she had for you. If ANYONE hassles you then just point out that you neither asked for nor cared about their opinion.

Right now Just give yourself some time to grieve for Tessa and don't pressure yourself to make an instant decision on how to bury her.

Jelpy
Jelpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

Oh Lin I am so so sorry. *hugs*
GSDolch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am sorry for your loss. I remember when I lost Jackson so suddenly. It was a very confusing time.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh Lin I'm SO, SO sorry. I'll be back to say more, just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you, but short on time this morning. (((Big hug))).
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like Tessa had a good life and like Wolfstraum said, she was where she wanted to be.

Don't beat yourself up, sounds like there was nothing you could have done. We lost ours at almost 9, the youngest ever. I beat myself up for a month or more thinking there was something I could have done. Now I've come to realize, she had a good life and was happy. Nothing I could have done would have changed the outcome.
Sp00ks is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss of Tessa I think you are doing the best thing, by not holding it in and talking about it. You are among friends here.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.