I had to reminisce... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I had to reminisce...

Found some of my old videos I made when I was like 20 of Chari and Kodi playing, Klondike was attempting to join here and there. Klondike was my golden girl :3 She and I learned alot from one another. I had Klondike since I was 13 years old and she passed away just over 2 years ago...and now there is Chari. I wish I took more videos and pictures...I never realized why my mom was so big about cameras and videos but now I do.

They're stupidish...but what I captured in them was cute...

beware this is ridiculous...remember I was a 'kid' when I made this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXvqpCwh9y4

They're a little rough with one another in that last one XD But it's cute..they were so close to one another!

Kodiak (called Kodi)-born summer of 2009 (4 years old)
FortheLoveofChari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

especially of them sharing the duck!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm noticing how cold the house is without her here. Lucy, Chari's 'baby', our cat seems to be freaked out now. When Chari was here she didn't care about being in the new house, but now that Chari has been gone for nearly two weeks she's been doing nothing but hiding. It's been a bit of a battle coaxing her out.

Kodi seems to be coping well, he's a little depressed here and there, but for the most part playing and walking him keeps him distracted.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I thought Kodi would do well especially when you are playing and walking him as usual - he may even enjoy the extra attention but doesn't want to show it because he senses you are sad. For Lucy, it is going to take a full month for Chari's scent to go, so that could also be confusing for her. If she doesn't get better when a month as passed- you may want to consider adopting another cat for company for her - if she is good with other cats. Since you are planning on getting a puppy - another dog who likes cats may not be a good idea. The other idea would be to get a puppy sooner - at least that would distract her and give her something to watch and also help you. My cat Shadow kept crying when the other cat Tabby died - after a month, I went to the Humane Society and adopted a quiet older cat who liked dogs - Shadow was finally happy and gave me a look "what took you so long"
Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Kodi is doing well, I know he would be happy when we do get our puppy in June.

Lucy's biggest thing is she would sleep and nuzzle into Chari all the time, Chari basically raised her as a kitten (5 weeks old, abandoned with her brother). Her brother and her would suckle on Chari and Chari would oblige and even sleep while they did that.

Lucy isn't alone in the house, we have two other cats, but she isn't a cat's cat. They all get along well, but Lucy is a dog cat in my honest opinion. She even still suckled on Chari in her adult years.

It was odd last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with her on my stomach pawpanting my chest and making suckle noises in the air..which was awkward to say the least. She'd never done that to me before. It hurt, as it was the pain that woke me, and I wondered how Chari put up with that let alone napped through it.

I'm just not sure how to redirect that behavior in a cat because I would need to if she continues that behavior.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Poor Lucy - she is looking for comfort. Maybe a cuddly big soft stuffed toy would work. If you put it on your lap and encouraged her to knead that with her claws -if she likes catnip you could spray some on it to also encourage her. You could try posting or searching on Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you!

I knew it was a comfort thing for her, so I let her do it, I just tried to reposition her to a part of my body that wouldn't hurt as much XD

I had been thinking what could I do to give her a permanent solution to her need to suckle or just pawpant on something. She seems to prefer living objects it seems..and female ones as she doesn't do it to Kodi or my fiance.

Kiara our other cat just does it to a certain blanket which she had never done until we got said blanket..I think it is just the texture as it is a very soft fluffy blanket.

I am going to check out the cat forum, I'm sure it will be a GREAT help with my other cats too :3

Old 12-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have 4 cats and my Oliver, who I hand-reared from 3 days old, is a very big "pudger" or kneader of people and blankets and stuffed animals - I think kittens who were without their mothers from too young do this as adults more than other cats. Sorry to hear about you losing your dog, the video was so sweet (i love that song) and it would be nice if your cat can bond with the puppy when you get him. Thinking about your cat being lonely makes me so sad; it's heartbreaking when they seem to be looking from room to room and can't find their friend
Sookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.