German Shepherds Forum banner

We Let Him Go...

7K views 64 replies 42 participants last post by  KZoppa 
#1 · (Edited)
My husband and I made the difficult decision to let our boy Riley go. Physically he was healthy. Mentally, we were losing him quickly. I think he just reached the point that whatever war was going on in his head, he was losing it.

Riley came home with us when he was five months old in May 2005. He'd been dumped at the local humane society because he barked. The people who had him before we came to his rescue wanted a guard dog so they shoved him outside with nothing but a dog house and locked in a kennel. We knew even before bringing him home that he had some problems but we were willing to try. After he turned two, we started to notice a change in him. We managed him effectively and did what we knew would reduce his stress and anxiety. He was fine with OUR dogs in the family but other dogs on walks, he would become aggressive. Can't say I blame him any after he was nearly killed by a Saint Bernard years ago. He was content to stay home with us and hang out.

He may not have spent much time around children but when my daughter was born, she grew on him. Riley became her dog in a sense. Then our son was born. He and Riley have never been close but they obviously loved each other.

This last year to year and a half, something clicked and Riley started slipping further and further away from us. Our big barking black beastie couldn't relax. He started to act unpredictably with any number of things and beings when he'd been fine before. He reached the point where he had more bad days than good days. We'd lost him. His health had checked out several times. Riley wasn't Riley anymore.

Today was the day we said goodbye. It hurt watching him as his fears would get the better of him. Today was also the day he's been more himself than he has in weeks; months even. I think he knew. He helped me eat some beef jerky. He got a cheeseburger and he got to spend some time at our favorite park. He was Riley. When it came time to go to the vets office, he didn't react the way he usually did. There was no fear aggression. He just stayed close to me and hid his face when he could.

This was my first dog. I'd had a dog here and there for a few weeks at a time growing up but Riley was my first dog that my parents couldnt give away or get rid of. He helped me feel safer in my apartment when my husband was at work. He alerted us to potential dangers as we traveled across country or between duty stations. He helped raise two very young kittens. He's always been in Shasta's life since I brought her home. My kids don't know a time that Riley hasn't been with us.

Like I said, physically he was healthy. Mentally, he'd always been a little off but recently, he was a completely different dog. He was no longer the happy go lucky love everybody he met dog. No more tail wags, no silly body wiggle dances when you talked to him. Riley was locked in his own head and there was this other dog in his place that looked like him. I may not have always liked him but I always loved him. He was my dorky boy.

Riley passed away this afternoon with his head in my lap and my arms wrapped around him as best I could. Today, he was himself. Today was one of his rare good days. Today, he was Riley. He was my puppy boy. Before they came in with the medicines that would send him to a forever sleep, he relaxed. For the first time in a very long time, he was completely relaxed. He left us as the dog he once was. It was like he knew why we were there and was relieved that he would finally be able to rest without fear getting him. As he went to sleep, I told him how sorry I was that I couldn't do more to help him and that now he didn't have to be afraid. No more fears, no more stress. He was okay to sleep. As I told him that we would be okay without him, that's when he went. My big boy went to heaven knowing how much we love him and how much we're going to miss him. I know that as hard as this has been, it's what he needed to be at peace finally. No more demons for my boy. He can wait for us at the bridge. He's free to be a puppy again; to chase bubbles and snowflakes and maybe even a cat or two since I don't think anyone will tell him not to anymore. There's a hole right now.

I know he and my cat Princess have probably met by now and are making plans on how to scare my husband in the middle of the night when he returns home.

RIP my sweet silly sometimes aggravating boy. You were my handful puppy. You fit right in with us because you were just as hard headed and stubborn as we were at times. Love you knucklehead.

Here are some pictures I took today while he was himself. His last day with us.

My kids saying goodbye to him, their first dog.

RIP Riley. My handsome pain in the butt. We love you and we'll see you again someday.

See less See more
#2 ·
So sorry for your loss. RIP to a very handsome boy. Very nice post - the pictures are beautiful (yet sad - they made me tear up!). Sorry you had to make such a difficult decision. Rest in puppy paradise Riley! :(

#4 ·
Thank you. I'm just glad that as hard as it was to do, he left us on one of his good days. I'm upset my husband couldn't be there but Riley went knowing he is very loved. I kept trying to talk myself out of the vet appointment but I know that he wasn't going to get better no matter how much I wanted him to. He really did drive me absolutely crazy sometimes but I think that was part of why I love him so much. He really was a good boy. No more fears or stress for him anymore. No more self destructive chewing. I hope he realizes he doesn't have to worry about us. We'll get through. He's not at war with himself anymore. Thats what's important.

#6 ·
Omg we are so sorry for your loss,,,,it took me so long to read your post due to tears,if its ok with you I wouldn`t read it again,,,,,thank you for sharing it with us....Riley will be having so much fun now at the bridge just think of that and yes expect a few little strange things to happen in the house haha he will let you know, he too is thinking of you all...Take care...RIP Big guy

#7 ·
Thats okay. It took me a while to write it between tissue boxes lol. I'm used to strange happenings in the house. Princess was put to sleep when I was 14 and she's been with me ever since. Freaks my husband out when he see's three cats and we only have two.... Now we'll have Riley sneaking up on him. I'm going to miss his fur and his ears. Some of the softest ears. But I admit, I am looking forward to seeing what crazy antics he has up his doggie sleeve to tease the other animals and my husband. I know he's going to have some fun. Silly boy that he could be. It's going to be tough for a little while but we'll make it through. I'm sure he's probably leaping after bubbles right now.

#8 ·
Ahh ,love to hear of the strange things Riley will do,so keep us posted plz,,,we had the same we we lost Sapphire suddenly last xmas,we got Zola 8 months ago but we are sure she is Sapphire , its scary the things Zola does are the same things Sapphire used to do,And yes Sapphire did let us know,after she died,that she was still with us....:shocked Hope you get through this ok

#9 ·
I'm a firm believer that the ones we lose, choose our next family members for us. Sooner or later when they find the right one for us, so I can definitely believe they act a great deal alike! I hope Riley takes his time picking our next pup. I'll definitely post any stories. I'm sure Riley will tease my husband every chance he gets.

#11 ·
I'm so sorry :hugs:

#15 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss, he was a beautiful boy:(

#45 ·
He was obviously a well-loved boy. May the demons that tormented him in life be his angels now

I sure hope so. Miss my big beastie but I pray he's free from those demons now.

#20 ·
My sympathy to you and the kids, R.I.Peace Riley :halogsd:

#23 ·
So sorry for your loss, your precious boy can be free from his demons now and run free. Your story was very touching, thanks for sharing with us. :rip:

#25 ·
I am so sorry for youyr loss. Again its the hardest but kindest thing to do. That change you talk about also means they dont get to be happy so much of the time and then they have no joy as it progresses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.