RIP Capone (non GSD) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So sorry for your loss, Run painfree Capone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you everyone. It means a lot to me. He had very severe allergies. To so many things we couldn't figure them all out. Some being food and other being inhalent. But the allergies would get so bad that he would get skin infections. Both bacterial and fungal. It's been a battle since we have had him (since he was 5 months old) he even has a dermatologist. The medication we used to clear up the Infections stopped working. The other two we tried he had allergic reactions to. Aside from being itchy he would bleed or wake up with hives that scabbed all over. Over the past year it got much worse. We tried many things to keep them away and make him comfortable. Nothing worked for long. On top of that he had severe hip dysplasia. It has also been getting worse. Sitting and laying down were tough on him. He was about 90-95 pounds. His quality of life just wasn't there. Not what it should be for 3. He couldn't play in the grass or go for walks without paying for it. He seemed depressed. His one true love in life was swimming, but it aggrivated his skin badly. I took him on his last day. It got to the point where we had to sit down and ask ourselves how bad we were going to let him get before we said enough is enough. It is windy season here and the past week his skin became red and inflamed and scabbed up from allergies again. His feet were bleeding again and all he wanted to do was itch. Even on meds. Letting him go was the Hardest decision of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm so sorry. What an awful position to be in. Poor baby, and poor you and your family.

Did you get him as a little pup from a breeder? I ask because he appears to have a lot of Staff blood and at his size, is certainly not what I'd call an APBT. A lot of the "trendy" blood that people are breeding to get these huge "bully type" dogs (again, they are NOT American Pit Bull Terriers) seem to have allergies and digestive issues. If you got him from a breeder, I'd let the breeder know. They are throwing all sorts of lines into the mix, adding other molossers, and along with that, health issues are cropping up more and more.

It's too late now to second guess anything as far as food and what might or might not have helped and I'm sure you did everything you thought you possibly could've done. I'm sure he knew it, too. When you're feeling a bit better, I would let the breeder know if you did in fact buy him. This is the kind of thing no one should have to go through, animal or human.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful boy he was. It hurts extra much when they are so young. Bless you for loving him enough to let him go. RIP Capone.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry! I know how hard you tried with him and I really wish it could have turned out different for you. You guys are in my thoughts.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm so sorry for you loss. What a sweet boy. RIP Capone.
Snickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Capone was absolutely stunning! From what it sounds, your family did the best with his situation, and I'm sure he's very thankful for that and having you to love him.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post
I'm so sorry. What an awful position to be in. Poor baby, and poor you and your family.

Did you get him as a little pup from a breeder? I ask because he appears to have a lot of Staff blood and at his size, is certainly not what I'd call an APBT. A lot of the "trendy" blood that people are breeding to get these huge "bully type" dogs (again, they are NOT American Pit Bull Terriers) seem to have allergies and digestive issues. If you got him from a breeder, I'd let the breeder know. They are throwing all sorts of lines into the mix, adding other molossers, and along with that, health issues are cropping up more and more.

It's too late now to second guess anything as far as food and what might or might not have helped and I'm sure you did everything you thought you possibly could've done. I'm sure he knew it, too. When you're feeling a bit better, I would let the breeder know if you did in fact buy him. This is the kind of thing no one should have to go through, animal or human.
He is papered but I absolutely believe somewhere down the line they lied. He looks part cane corso to me. And obviously not a normal size. We took him from a "friends" house. Her boyfriend bred him and sold him to someone who then returned him because they couldn't keep him I think. Anyways when we went over there the boy friend was mean to him. He was spraying him in the face with a hose for barking. He was only a kennel dog, didn't know what grass or stairs were. At 5 months! We took him that night. He had a bad bout of giardia that lasted a couple months also. Once that cleared he was fed raw to eliminate any potential allergens. But anyways, the girl and guy are no longer together. I don't think he breeds anymore. Thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Last edited by Capone22; 11-17-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family find the peace that comes with time and good memories soon. Sincerely jan
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

Yes! Absolutely Cane Corso. Hopefully, you're right and he isn't breeding anymore.

I'm so sorry for you and Capone. RIP, pretty boy.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.