Hit by a car - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

I just want to say BIG HUGS TO YOU! You can't blame yourself though, we all make mistakes. One of the hardest things I have ever gone through was losing my boy Chance. He was my service dog and helped me through my darkest time and helped me become a social person again. (I had become agoraphobic for several years and didn't leave my house due to my other medical problems) He went pretty much everywhere with me, it was a rare day that he didn't. I'm one of those people with a big heart for animals and sadly I made a mistake June 23th 2011 because of it. I stopped on the side of the road to grab a dog who was about to get hit by a car and the next thing I knew, Chance had jumped out behind me, crossed the street running after the dog and as I yelled for him to return there was just a quick bang from an on-coming car. He had been hit and was also killed instantly. So many things I could've/should've done and didn't, including as simple as not stopping for the dog. It has been one of the hardest things for me to get over and took nearly a year before I found the right puppy for me who has brought me so much joy back into my life that has been missed with Chance being gone.

So I know just how hard this has to be on you, my sympathy goes out to you and your family. I'm sure Bear forgives you and when the time comes, will help you find a new puppy to help fill your heart. RIP Bear!
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #42 (permalink)

Ohh.. little bear! That was very horrible story. I am so sorry for your loss. & forgive yourself. The woulda-coulda thoughts won't change the situation. Get over soon!
crowealethea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #43 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a tragic story. I'm so sorry to read your post, I had tears in my eyes.

I lost my first Grey b/c the latch on my door didn't close properly - wind blew the door open and out went my parrot. I found her body 3 weeks later ...

Accidents happen, please don't beat yourself up over it.
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. As hard as it may be, please don't beat yourself up about it. It's obvious you loved little Bear. RIP Bear.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i am so sorry for your incredibly painful loss. this is why, even tho many people call me overly protective, if my kidz are loose, there's gotta be a fence. terrible accidents like this happen (as you now know) in an instant. Please don't blame yourself (even tho that's really hard), i know it'll never happen to you again.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #46 (permalink)

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you're going through. I know it's easy for other people to say "it's not your fault" but it wasn't.
I went through a similar thing with my puppy when she was just over three months. It was her first time off the lead and I gotten her back on it to cross the road once, but we had to cross back over to get to my house and I didn't get her on the lead quick enough. She started to run towards the road (50mph incredibly busy road. We usually had to stand for a couple of minutes to get a chance to safely walk across.) I started to run away from her to get her to follow me, but she just kept going.

I remember calling her and realising she wasn't going to stop. I was literally screaming and screeching her name at the top of my voice running after her. I don't know how she wasn't hit. She ran straight out into the road, my tiny 7kg puppy. The only thing that saved her was that when we crossed that road before I would cross as quickly as possible - she ran across. She bolted across that road and waited on the other side for me, sitting quite happily. Luckily there was only one oncoming car from the left, rather than on both sides of the road.

I have no idea how they stopped in time. I put my hand up to apologise and I held Lexi so tightly and I just broke down. I was shaking holding her. I carried her all the way home.

I've never told anyone this. Not my partner, my mother. No-one. No-one knows how close I came that day to carrying back a body instead of my puppy. I would have to tell people I killed my puppy. I don't think I ever will tell anyone. I think about that everyday.

It's not your fault. I know that people on the internet telling you that isn't going to help the guilt you feel, but believe me, it really isn't. His last hour was spent playing with you, he spent his time with a loving, caring family. He didn't suffer. He'll be waiting for you and you will see him again. Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I hope that another puppy will help you heal. It will never replace Bear, he will always hold that place in your heart. But you can give another puppy a happy and loving home.

Lexi_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is no "fault" in an accident.....no blame, no animosity, no judgement....it is simply a horrible accident.
You need to forgive yourself first....before you can move forward.
I am sorry for what has happened, and it is a tragedy on one's heart.
Please know that "times does help mend"......
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #48 (permalink)
Elite Member

How sad. I am so sorry. I nearly lost my ten year old GSD in similar circumstances. She has been everywhere including overseas assignments with no problems but she nearly got run over by a bus outside of our house a few months back. I was lucky that the bus driver saw her in the dark and stopped. It can happen to anyone in a flash second.
Vampire, really evil cat, 17 years
Candi, 12 years,
Brendan, golden retriever-the thriller from Manila, 7 years
Becky, Jazz and Annie at bridge
vjt555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #49 (permalink)
Elite Member

I feel so heartbroken for you... I'm sooooo sorry! I hope you're feeling better.
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master Member

You tried to save him, next time you will be more careful forigve and forget. RIP sweet Bear
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.