When does it get better? Happy Birthday Luther - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default When does it get better? Happy Birthday Luther

I made the heartbreaking decision to euthanize Luther on July 23, after aggression towards strangers turned into aggression towards house members and pets. It was a life long struggle of dealing with aggression, training, stress colitis, severe chronic diarrhea, the prospect of lifelong medications, etc...

But when does the pain ever get better? Each day I feel a little better, but then something will trigger a memory and I'll just break down. I miss him so much. And although I feel like I made the right decision most of the time, I can't tell you how many times I regret it as well. Did I REALLY make the right decision? Or did I just give up for selfish reasons, sick of dealing with such a problem dog? It doesn't help that in just a few days it would be his 4th birthday.

For all his problems, all I can think about is my sweet little dog that had such a personality. I loved him so much, and just miss him a ton. And although I've put a deposit down on a puppy for next spring (because I knew I wouldn't be ready any sooner then that for another dog), I feel like everyone else has moved on and I'm the only one stuck in this world of sadness, missing my poor little Lu-dog.

Happy Birthday, Luther. I love you and miss you

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My heart goes out to you.

No matter the reason, putting a love pet down is gut wrenching.

I'd personally suggest you get the new pup sooner than later.

One never 'replaces' the other, but it does give you reason to open your heart in a good way and busy your mind on the positive.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post
My heart goes out to you.

No matter the reason, putting a love pet down is gut wrenching.

I'd personally suggest you get the new pup sooner than later.

One never 'replaces' the other, but it does give you reason to open your heart in a good way and busy your mind on the positive.

Trust me, part of me would love a little fluffy ball running around. But when I think about getting a puppy right now, all I think is that I'm just replacing Luther.

Besides, the litter isn't even whelped yet, the mating is occuring next month, pups will be born in January and 8 weeks old in March.

I already made the mistake of getting a poorly bred dog due to inpatience and not wanting to "pay" for a better dog from a better breeder, and that only got me three years of hearbreak. Not only did I lose Luther, I lost my little T.J. kitty that he killed. I'm NOT making that mistake again.

Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

he was a really pretty boy. so sorry for your loss, that sounded very tough. looks like you had a lot of good times too, try and focus on that. we love them like children, but they are animals, with animal instints, we forget that sometimes.

Last edited by readaboutdogs; 10-03-2012 at 09:56 PM.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My sincerest condolences.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i'm so sorry for your loss.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I'm sorry for your loss. As for when it gets better... it depends. I waited over a year to finally decide to take a chance again. By then I'd gone into a deep depression. Please don't let yourself do that. Getting Grim has helped so much. I still get teary when I think about or see dogs that look like mine. BUT that gut wrenching hole in my heart has finally stopped aching. For some, I think the only way to heal is with another shepherd. I totally understand your thought, though. I also wanted to get a shepherd this time that would be well bred to avoid the severe aggression issues I've already dealt with before. I think you're making a very smart move there. Let yourself heal. Forgive yourself.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I am very sorry.
From personal experience, I can tell you you'll probably wonder almost daily if it was the right thing.
Try to remember the "bad" as much as the good, because it's human nature to romanticize our memories.

If you posted or kept a journal, it helps to go back and read and actually try to remember how you felt when the dog was alive and you were under the stress you were due to the problems.

I've done that a few times, and I can relive how bad things were and remember that the dog is in a much better place now, healthy and without mental issues.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I am very sorry.
From personal experience, I can tell you you'll probably wonder almost daily if it was the right thing.
Try to remember the "bad" as much as the good, because it's human nature to romanticize our memories.

If you posted or kept a journal, it helps to go back and read and actually try to remember how you felt when the dog was alive and you were under the stress you were due to the problems.

I've done that a few times, and I can relive how bad things were and remember that the dog is in a much better place now, healthy and without mental issues.
That is VERY good advice, thank you SO much! Yes it is easy to romanticize the relationship after all is said and done, and to "forget" about all the troubles and pain

Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Anubis I am so sorry for you and Luther

My last girl was difficult, but she was put to sleep because of an illness.
She would have been 4 on the 2nd Sept

I miss her so much and still cry for her but my new little girl has helped.
But you know in yourself when it is the right time

I heard an old song on the radio yesterday and two lines really hit home

"Only love can break a heart"
"And only love can mend it"
Jenna&Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.