When does it get better? Happy Birthday Luther - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

AnubisStar I am so sorry. To handle a dog who has agressionissues is difficult at best. From your post it sounds like you tried many interventions but you had to keep everyone else safe as well. My heart goes out to you. Please take care

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

So sorry for you. Must have been a hard decision. And I totally agree that we humans tend to forget the hard times and lean towards remembering only the good times. Everyone grieves at their own pace....you will know when it is time to get another puppy. It won't replace Luther, your heart just expands a little more to make room for it.
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I am very sorry.
From personal experience, I can tell you you'll probably wonder almost daily if it was the right thing.
Try to remember the "bad" as much as the good, because it's human nature to romanticize our memories.
That is so true.

I remember reading your post when you first joined the board, and I remember how emotional your posts were when you had to clarify *why* you decided to put him to rest. I could feel your pain and it was so, so clear that you loved him with all your heart and that you put everything you had into helping him but despite all that, he sounded like he was a very stressed out dog to the point that he probably wasnt enjoying his life very much, and that, of course, is no way to live for any being. I think you did the most honorable and loving thing you could do for him by giving him eternal peace and God bless you for having the strength to do it and the wisdom to know it was time.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh no, I'm so sorry. You have me tearing up.

it's a crappy answer but it takes as long as it takes. I just lost my mom and a customer told me just this morning "The hurting will go away, but the void will never be filled". I think it's the same for any creature who stole a part of our hearts.

Your grief is that much worse because of the reasons surrounding it, but I know you made the right decision. The fact that you're so broken up over losing your beautiful boy tells me you did not do this for selfish reasons. Safety is not a selfish reason. The fact that he had some chronic health problems is also not a selfish reason.

I believe in quality vs quantity of life.

In a perfect world, we'd have both, but if we have to make that choice, we have to choose to give our friends a good life - even if that means it's not a long one.

It's ok to feel sad, feel cheated, feel guilty. This is all normal. But know in your heart you made the right choice. He did not suffer, and he loves you still.

Look forward to your new pup! I hope the breeder helps you choose just the right puppy. You are not replacing Luther, nobody will replace him. You're just giving your heart another creature to love.

((hugs))
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUTHER!!!

Today is the 5th, officially his birthday. It has been a pretty rough day. Not only the sadness for Luther, but then I wake up to the first snow fall of the season (snow, YUCK, lol), and we've had several euthanasias at work.

But I appreciate everyone's comments SO much! Thank you everyone. Sometimes it's nice to hear a little reassurance, even though obviously no one else can make that hard decision for you. You are all wonderful.

These are the first 3 photos we ever took of Luther, right after coming home from the breeder. The first photo, we had literally just walked in the front door and wanted to show him off to friends and family.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm sorry that today is so hard on you. Please take it easy on yourself and know that Luther had some really great years, which is more than some dogs get. And it might also help to remember that not all illnesses are physical. You did the best for him, even if it hurts to think that way.
Blanketback is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.