Dealing with guilt?... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

I don't know how to encourage or advise you except to say I know exactly how I feel. I put Franklin down exactly a week ago and I have had those "what if moments" often. I think the best thing we can do is cry our eyes out and feel what we are going to feel. I want my dog back and that's all there is too it but nothing will bring him back. I have his memory, and you have Akira's. They are our angel's. Our other dogs still need us. I don't know about you but my two living dogs have not left my side.
Franklin0412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Selzer said
"Guilt isn't much use. Feeling guilty will not make your puppy happy. It will not bring her back. It is just a way for you to beat up on yourself. You did what you could for this girl, and you loved her.I think that does not die." and I couldn't agree more. Concentrate on the good memories and be secure in the knowledge that you did your best.

My old girl Crusher had bad arthritis and entitlement issues in her old age and I lost my temper with her a few times when she would wake me up with her lonely barks. I do feel badly about yelling at her but in retrospect those episodes reinforce my decision to put her to sleep. Neither of us were comfortable.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Only time will make it better!
It will always hurt, always be sad but the pain gets less as time goes on.
My first dog has been gone just over a year and I still feel so guilty over the way she was PTS. I also still get teary thinking about her, I don't often read this particular forum because it brings all those sad feelings up again.
BUT - I can now also think and talk about my Maxi and laugh about some of the silly things she used to do.
You will never forget your little girl, once it stops hurting quite so much let yourself think about some of the happier times you guys had - don't dwell on the bad things, you did everything you could for her!
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you everyone for the advice. For now, I will continue to cry and cry and cry...and hopefully soon it will get better. I will never stop missing her.

I still keep thinking this isn't real, that she really isn't gone. I wish it wasn't real. Life is so unfair at times.

I picked up her ashes yesterday, I bought her the most beautiful urn ever, it's copper with two paw prints on it. I do believe I will see her again, at the rainbow bridge. Until then, her paw prints will forever be on my heart.

It's crazy how much of an impact these little fuzzballs make on your life. You get so attached to them so fast. Dogs are the bestfriends a human could ever have. <3
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice. For now, I will continue to cry and cry and cry...and hopefully soon it will get better. I will never stop missing her.

I still keep thinking this isn't real, that she really isn't gone. I wish it wasn't real. Life is so unfair at times.

I picked up her ashes yesterday, I bought her the most beautiful urn ever, it's copper with two paw prints on it. I do believe I will see her again, at the rainbow bridge. Until then, her paw prints will forever be on my heart.

It's crazy how much of an impact these little fuzzballs make on your life. You get so attached to them so fast. Dogs are the bestfriends a human could ever have. <3
I was going to search for this post and ask you how you're feeling...
Hang in there...
We are here for you <3
If you need anything, PM me. I know virtual friendships can't get you through much but sometimes just some comfy cozy words do help.
You and your pup are in my prayers...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I was going to search for this post and ask you how you're feeling...
Hang in there...
We are here for you <3
If you need anything, PM me. I know virtual friendships can't get you through much but sometimes just some comfy cozy words do help.
You and your pup are in my prayers...
Thank you.

No, you are completely right, kind words help a ton. And it helps a ton to talk about it, and know that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Thank you again.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

i don't do things that i'll feel guilty about.
i don't have anger or sadness. i see the
beauty in life. i don't feel anger because
i'm connected to love. i don't feel sad because
i choose to be happy.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are some good article about grieving the loss of a pet on Patricia McConnell's blog "One Step Forward Two Steps Back" and I think they're on her website "The Other End of the Leash". Some research indicates that having to put down a pet and the days after have a similar affect on the human's body as having surgery. So give yourself some time to recover.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
There are some good article about grieving the loss of a pet on Patricia McConnell's blog "One Step Forward Two Steps Back" and I think they're on her website "The Other End of the Leash". Some research indicates that having to put down a pet and the days after have a similar affect on the human's body as having surgery. So give yourself some time to recover.
Thank you, I read her blog, it did help.

Doggiedad, you are a strong person.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

you can choose to be strong also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
Thank you, I read her blog, it did help.

Doggiedad, you are a strong person.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.