Hemangiosarcoma took my boy too soon - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #51 (permalink)

I'm sorry for your loss. Its difficult. I was there 6 years ago. You will never forget him, but the sadness foes ease. They hold such a special place in your heart. Know he's isn't suffering any more. All dogs go to heaven, especially GSD
robfromga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #52 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's been a month since I lost my old guy and I still have days that the tears fall. Coming here and reading the posts that people made and all the good wishes really helped. May your days get easier but your good memories not ever dim. He will be waiting for you on the other side of the bridge.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #53 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Jackson's necropsy came back with hemangiosarcoma as the cause of death. My heart goes out to all of us who have lost a dog to this truly devastating disease.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #54 (permalink)

It's hardest on the days that are nice and we are outside working, where he would have been right by our sides. A few weeks ago, my husband was clearing some of our land and had the 4-wheeler out and came in at the end of the day and said "Duncan would have had such a fun day". That was so heartbreaking. And I still have my little Eskie and my kitty, and they help heal my heart. I think it's because we tried so hard to help him with surgery and it came on so fast, I wasn't prepared for him to die that night. As unbelievable as that may be, I just wasn't ready (would I have ever been, though?). I miss him terribly. I'm so glad there is a place to come to where everyone knows how special these dogs are and how much a part of our lives they are. Thank you to everyone who commented, it means a ton. Til we meet again, Dunky.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #55 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am so sorry. I lost two of mine to this cancer. With BoBo I did emergency splenectomy and chemo - which bought us 4 precious months. But still, this cancer kills so fast. We have to cherish every day with out furkids, as things can go very wrong very quickly.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #56 (permalink)

My GSP got a diagnosis of hemangiosarcoma today... the vet just called me. Mike( my GSP ) had his spleen removed 2 weeks ago. At first we thought it was a hemangioma ( which usually do not cause metastasis ), but
unfortunately it wasn't. I rushed to the internet to google hemangiosarcoma ( because I refused to believe the things the vet told me on the phone ). Now I can't stop crying... I cant stand look to Mike's eyes and not start to cry. He is the sweetest dog ever! He is 8, but he acts like a big baby... He has so much energy! Looks like he is 2!
Next week we start the chemo, but as you knew it for Duncan, I know that it will be only a palliative treatment for Mike.
Searching for hemangiosarcoma on google, I found your post on this forum... I feel a little bit better knowing that I can share this awful experience with others. But today ( and for the next months ), nothing will be able to make me happy.
I'm only 18 and Mike is part of my history. We grew up together and I wish we could die together.
Poor Iana will lose her best friend. I know it's not fair with her, but now 90% of my attention is for Mike.
If anyone could answer me a question, I would be thankful... Does the dog suffer a lot during the chemo? Are the last days of living, painful?

Best wishes for all
Mike & Iana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

D@#$! Terrible news!

Our deepest sympathy for you and your dog!

Stay in touch with the group - great support from members here!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #58 (permalink)
Elite Member

We lost our beloved Ivy to this wicked cancer in April. It took her suddenly, and without warning. It's a truly evil disease. I've never felt as helpless as I did the night she collapsed and the e-vet gave us the diagnosis.

A tumor in her spleen had burst, and the cancer was already in her lungs and liver too. It was in too many places for surgery or chemo to have any real chance to save her. They thought she might have a few days, at most. It turned out to be just a few hours. They stabilized her and made sure she wasn't in pain so that we could bring her home for the night. She passed away at 6:30 the next morning at home, in the safe, familiar bedroom where she always slept. She took her last breath cradled in my husband's arms as his tears ran down her fur. Her whole pack was there to thank her for the many wonderful years of friendship. It was the loving passing she deserved.

Mike & Iana, treasure whatever months you have together. I wish you all the best with the chemo. Let us know how he's doing.

Last edited by Magwart; 07-25-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #59 (permalink)

I am so sorry for your loss. How truly and sincerely heartbreaking. I hope you can be comforted by your joyful memories of him in the days and weeks to come.

Pyrrha & Eden
doggerel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #60 (permalink)

It's been ONE YEAR. A year ago tonight my boy, Duncan died at home, with us after a very short battle with HS. We have missed him every single day since. We still have my precious Eskie, who has been instrumental in getting me out of the house and thanking God for every day I have with her, as all life is so very fleeting. I can still feel Duncan's paw on my arm, ache for him to be in bed with us, taking up my spot, and moaning when I try to get in next to him. Oh geez.... crying at work. Better stop. Just wanted to say that I miss my boy, but to those who are just starting this **** of cancer or knowing it's nearing the end, it does get better and I am able to talk about the silly things Duncan does, and think of him and smile. But since my boy was so much like a person, with his own personality and opinions and likes and dislikes - it's like there's a hole there that won't ever be filled. I miss him terribly. I love you Dinky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.