German Shepherds Forum banner

VA Alex is missing!!!! One of our board GSDs

9K views 111 replies 40 participants last post by  Mandalay 
#1 ·
Alex dug out of our brand new 8 foot fence (for him specifically) yesterday when I took my inlaws puppy to the vet for her first shots.
We have contacted and visited animal control and the spca. He is on dog detective, petfinder, ineighbor and craigslist as missing.

Some people say they saw him at the beach yesterday, and one kid said today he saw him at the beach with some small brown dog. Not sure if that was Alex though.

We hung up posters and handed them out everywhere, and not ONE response.

We are devastated....

See less See more
#52 ·
Re: Alex is missing!!!!

I am so sorry you didn't find him today. You must be an absolute mess. I think someone has taken him in. I assume you've posted on Craig's List? I would also send an email with his picture to every rescue in your area that takes big dogs. I would also try to get as many people as you can to help you and go to every single shelter and leave multiple fliers. Ask if you can leave them at the desk as well as placing them on the bulletin board. I would also contact all of the vet's offices in your area. You could even send them the flier in the mail, just in case someone brings him in for a check up.

#53 ·

I just saw this and am really praying that you find him soon....Keep looking and I'll keep praying.

#54 ·

Still hoping and praying that you find him VERY soon-- healthy and well!!

How about driving around-- even if you have done this already-- with printed out cards with your address, phone number-- and the dog's name & brief description-- then handing these cards out to EVERYBODY you see: kids, utility workers, mail delivery folks, walkers, Moms with babycarriages, etc.

I did that once and a tip lead us to find the dog! Neighborhoods have people who notice "a German Shepherd who looks like he doesn't belong there."

Prayers still coming your way for his safe return!

#55 ·

Just returned from Virginia Beach and Norfolk Animal Controls. NO luck. I gave them big color pictures of Alex and the handout with his information to hang up. I even snuck onto NPR while they were talking to the PETA President Ingrid, and got to mention that Alex was missing in Oceanview and my phone number! Not that I got any responses, but maybe it will help. I handed out a lot more fliers to local businesses, so hopefully that will help as well.
I am not sure what to do now.....

#56 ·

I'm still praying for you and Alex. I can't even imagine what you are going through. We lost our Jack Russell for one night and it was so incredibly difficult. Luckily, our neighbor saw her outside by herself late at night and kept her in his garage. They didn't know whose dog it was. The next morning, we were leaving the house to put up more flyers and Molly came running out of the garage to us. I couldn't believe it.

If there are any playgrounds, I would put up flyers there. It seems like kids are sometimes more aware of missing pets than adults. When I used to run into kids while walking Elmo, they knew every dog and cat in the neighborhood.

#58 ·

Have you posted him on all of the Craig's Lists for towns/cities anywhere near you? I would do that daily. And put up signs at every single store that sells dog food too. Ask them if they would be willing to put it on their counter.

It's great that you got on the radio.

Hang in there--we are all keeping good thoughts for Alex's safe return!

#59 ·

It might make sense to engage a tracking dog. I know it is costly, but the more time passes the less scent is going to remain there.
A friend of mine tracked a missing dog over a week after he disappeared.
Maybe you can post in the tracking section to get a better idea. I know local rescues used them to find missing dogs. Again, the problem ended up being the capture of the dog rather than tracking the animal down.

#60 ·

Have you checked the ads in the paper and on Craigslist?
Someone may have found him and if they don't know that they have to report it, they may be advertising in the papers.

I would inform all rescues, even small dog rescues and contact training schools and boarding kennels.

#66 ·

Just checking in here for updates. I also wonder if someone found him and decided to keep him. Hopefully all of the stuff you are doing will let them know that he's a loved dog and needs to go home.

#68 ·

Originally Posted By: RebelGSDI keep coming back for updates too.
sorry for the late update. I have been out all morning putting up new signs and handing out flyers. I sent out another findtoto call for 1250 people, i had a fews calls just saying they would look, but no calls saying they had Alex.
I am having the hardest time getting ahold of a animal control officer. I would just like to ask them some questions about this weekend, but dispatch won't help me at all. They refuse to have an officer call me. I am so MAD!!

I don't know what to do. Alex isn't at any of the animal control shelters, I have networked with a ton of email listings, hung up posters, handed out flyers, drove around for hours, sent out calls and NOTHING.

#69 ·

Maybe a rescue could contact AC for you. Some may have established relationships with the shelter and could communicate easier if they know people.
I am so sorry, this is a tough situation and you have to keep your focus. Dogs have been recovered weeks after they got away.
I suspect something/someone is preventing him from coming home as he probably knows the way home.

#71 ·

I wonder if someone saw him at the beach and took him home. Is he very friendly?

I'm still hoping someone realizes that Alex has a loving home and his family misses him terribly.

Maybe someone at VGSR has contacts at Animal Control that can help you as RebelGSD suggested above.

#73 ·

Alex had been FOUND!! Someone DID take him. We live next to a small hole-in-the-wall bar. Well a drunk lady took him home, removed his tags, then rehomed him to a guy who gave her a ride home because she was too drunk to drive. That guy, Matt, then gave Alex to his neighbors, a small family. They have had Alex since Sunday night. They were over 26 miles from us. Luckily Matt drove through our area today and saw our posters. Even though the drunk lady said Alex was her dog, and the reason she was giving him away was because he grew too big, he thought there was no way he was so well trained by the drunk lady. So he called us and told the family. They had just seen my posting on craigslist as well. They are devastated because they became attached to him.
I felt bad, but I was so glad to have him back!!!!!! I can't believe we found him safe and sound! He is definitely having an allergic reaction to the food he was eating, which there is no way they could know, but I am sure he will get back on track here.
I am trying to find the family a GSD, so if anyone can help please PM me!!

Thank you for your support! I checked every day, and I needed your replies when I was running out of hope. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas!!!!

#75 ·
FOUND!!!! Alex is missing!!!!

I changed your title so that everyone could see Alex has been found. I can't imagine how happy you and your family must feel right now and I'll betcha Alex is very happy to be home. Geesh - what a saga he lived through the past few days... I have found so many lost dogs, and every single one of them were reclaimed because someone saw the posters I put out. So thrilled for you all!!!!

Check with VGSR (Virginia GSD Rescue). They are members of this board and are terrific to work with. (this is not to say there aren't other terrific rescues on this board, but since you're in Virginia, they're probably the closest!). Thanks for trying to help the other family find a dog. They could just as easily kept him - good for them for doing the right thing.

#76 ·
Re: FOUND!!!! Alex is missing!!!!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in emailing a volunteer who helped me SO much! Her name is Betty and she drove HOURS around, printed out flyers, even laminated and stapled them on telephone poles for me! She is retired. I gave her gifts already for helping, but if anyone feels so inclined, it would be awesome to get her more thanks from GSD people especially!

Betty Bashara
betty.bashara@cox.net

Thank you KShort for the reply! I will check with VGSR! They also put Alex on their site in the lost dogs section! They are awesome!
Thank you VGSR and REMO!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.