German Shepherds Forum banner

VA Alex is missing!!!! One of our board GSDs

9K views 111 replies 40 participants last post by  Mandalay 
#1 ·
Alex dug out of our brand new 8 foot fence (for him specifically) yesterday when I took my inlaws puppy to the vet for her first shots.
We have contacted and visited animal control and the spca. He is on dog detective, petfinder, ineighbor and craigslist as missing.

Some people say they saw him at the beach yesterday, and one kid said today he saw him at the beach with some small brown dog. Not sure if that was Alex though.

We hung up posters and handed them out everywhere, and not ONE response.

We are devastated....

See less See more
#27 ·
Re: Alex is missing!!!!

I hope you find Alex soon. I know how terrible it is to lose a dog, I lost my BLIND dog last year and it was horrific, I did find her though, so dont stop looking! Talk to as many people as you can, I was asking every person I saw if they had seen her and even though most of them didnt, the one that had seen her pointed me to her direction. I had the police and several neighbors help me look for her, the more people the better.

#31 ·

Well I just got back from the shelter. NO luck. I filled out the lost animal report. There was a gsd there that apparantly is going to the Virginia GSD rescue. He is out of some court case? Poor guy. But no Alex. I am printing out more flyers and hitting the trail again. I can't believe no one has responded to the flyers, calls, or the shelter!
I did have a lady contact me about using her dogs to find him. I am not sure about this. Its been two days and I am not sure if the trail is gone from the beach anyway. Her website is

http://www.kustomk9training.com/

I thought it was strange that her dogs will follow a dog trail and a human trail? It is a minimum of $200 and $50 an hour after that. I am not sure the number of actual lost dog finds she has.

#37 ·

Originally Posted By: RebelGSDI keep coming back, sending positive energy your way.
Thank you all for your replies. Sadly, no Alex. I have had a couple sightings of him on Saturday when I asked people. But no phone calls or emails. I will hand out more fliers tomorrow in those areas that were suggested.
It's like he just disappeared. I really wish he would end up at animal control so we would know where he is!!!
Keeping praying hopefully we will find him soon. I was thinking about filing a police report, but I am not sure. Any suggestions are very welcomed. Thank you all for your support!!!

#38 ·

Maybe post in the SAR section of the board about the K9 finder?

I would try the toto thing if you haven't yet. A lot of people are either home-more than we think-or have an answering machine on, during the day.

You must be going nuts.

Does he have a dog friend that could go out with you?

And there is a sticky post with a great link from GSRNE to check out.

Hoping for him to make it home tonight.

#42 ·

Yes...file the police report. Here in Cary/Morrisville, NC if you file with the police, they also let the intake folks know at the county shelter. Also, make sure to post photos and information at the intake area - those folks may not see any photos from the front of the building.

Make sure to check there everyday just in case.

Do you live near water? Does he like water? If so, he could be walking down stream trying to find his way back - could be all turned around. If he likes quiet, is there any golf course nearby? My Louis was found on the golf course about 2 miles from me. That was 2 miles for a weenie dog in 3 days.....

Don't give up hope. If he is near water he will have something to drink and they can go for days w/out food. Of course, he will probably get him a squirrel or rabbit to eat along the way :)

Still sending positive thoughts your way. I'm hoping that someone got the Voice Mail and if they see will recognize him from the Call. I hung flyers up everywhere - ice cream shops, restaurants, strip mall - every store in the strip mall. Grocery Stores that would let me. Pet Stores that would let me. Depending on how many pet stores you have, maybe get a big poster made up with his picture and just sit out front or have someone sit out front over the weekend and maybe someone will recognize him. Sometimes people need a BIG picture before they will even see him.

Think of places yall went together away from the house. Remember...dogs know scents so if he got lost he will just try to pick up something familiar. Dogs can go very far very quickly as big as Shepherds are. I would also call my local radio station in the morning and ask if they can ask people if they have seen him or if they could please take a moment to go to your website to see his photo and get your contact information just in case.... Also - let any school or university in your area that may perform research to know your dog is missing....

I have a feeling he is out roaming around and playing, but certainly wondering how to get home. Keep calling out for him, leave the light on and if possible, open his favorite food and put it outside. Have a fan blow the smell outwards.... this might get the smell of his favorite food in the air :)

Okay - I will quit now - just trying to come up w/anything that might help get him to come home....

In my prayers.

Robert

#43 ·

I was hoping for good news.

I have seen dogs show up at places they have been before.
Also, you have to keep in mind that it may take him half a day to show up at the shelter from the moment he is reported found.

Can you walk from your home to the place where he was seen on Saturday?

Can you organize a search party with several friends?

#45 ·

You could try an animal communicator. I've heard amazing things about how they can find a lost animal.

#46 ·

Originally Posted By: RebelGSDI was hoping for good news.

I have seen dogs show up at places they have been before.
Also, you have to keep in mind that it may take him half a day to show up at the shelter from the moment he is reported found.

Can you walk from your home to the place where he was seen on Saturday?

Can you organize a search party with several friends?
Yes I keep checking where we have taken him for walks, and to the beach. I am hoping someone is planning on taking him to the shelter and just hasn't yet. I called the police dept and talked with the animal control officer I guess I can't file any other kind of report other than what I have already. So that sucks. And she says he can be at any shelter which is difficult because it is hard to search here and visit all the shelters in such a large area everyday and not feel like I am missing him somewhere around here.

I have got an email out on i neighbors for the surrounding area. I need to get more flyers out though.
I can walk to the place he was seen Saturday. We drove all around there and knocked on doors. No luck no one even saw him. I am going to get a couple hundred flyers done tomorrow and just pass them out all over the place.
I am going to go back to the Norfolk Shelter and give them a flyer and the Virginia Beach shelter as well.
I will try to organize a search for him tomorrow. I may be able to get neighbors involved as well. So many have been very concerned and willing to help.
Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.