German Shepherds Forum banner

Lost Shepherd Utica, NY Area - Exit 31 off Thruway

4K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  JeanKBBMMMAAN 
#1 ·
For anyone in the Utica NY area, my foster Panda Shepherd Gabby, escaped from transport today. We have spent several hours today searching the area. The police, ENCON, dog wardens and others have been notified. Gabby is EXTREMELY AFRAID OF MEN - if any woman are in that area and can help tomorrow looking for her, it would be appreciated. I would beg that no men offer to assist in the search it only scares her more (although your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated). Why a man was on her transport I do not know or understand as this has been an issue since she came to me over two years ago and is a well known fact. We will also be printing up fliers and posting them tomorrow.

She has no ID on her at all - she broke out of her collar when she was to be picked up. Several sitings were reported, but she was always five steps ahead.

I hope she bedded down for the night and will be in the area tomorrow when we go up with some of our personal dogs that hopefully can coax her out of hiding.

Please keep Gabby in your thoughts and prayers. I'm sure she is frightened, scared and hungry.

Here is a photo that was taken yesterday of her.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remember, she is afraid of men.

See less See more
#3 ·
Jean, Becca made up one that we'll take up with us tomorrow and hopefully find a copy place that is open. By the time we got home and when we leave tomorrow nothing will be open. So we're taking one with us and also getting clear contact paper so they won't get destroyed in the rain.

#4 ·
Make sure you put it in the newspaper!

#6 ·
Oh good...about the live trap. I talked to Danni today...so know the whole story...how tragic...no sightings at all yet?

#8 ·
Lots of prayers being said.......

#10 ·
PLEASE! Time is of the essence! At this point there are only a few people out looking! If there is anyone in the Utica, NY area, PLEASE consider joining in the search for this frightened girl!!

If anyone can help...please contact Laurie B., Kathy B. or Danni......!!

I keep thinking of Duke's story......there is hope!!

#11 ·
make sure it's in ALL the local newspapers...I believe there are four....

and that the cops have been notified as well......

#12 ·
Hi MaryAnn- thanks so much. this is tragic, I have worried about her since this happened. Kathy, Brigiette, I, and Mike looked over 9 hours on saturday for her, and 5 more on Sunday with Sue.(Mike was the only one able to run fast enough to even see what direction she headed in, so at least we were able to locate where she went-never would of thought she would go where she did-figured she would of headed downtown) As I told Kathy this weekend, we did not know she was so afraid of men as she was (when she was taken out of the truck, he didnt come even closer than 5 feet or more to her and peed when I said hi to her). :(If I had known, we would of had to decline the leg of transport. However, she had slipped her collar before transport started, I think she was very afraid in general to leave Laurie- I know my Vita would be the same way if she was leaving with people she didnt know. It is truly very sad and heartbreaking that she is out there by herself-I have gone to look several more times since Saturday. Hopefully, we will all keep the lines of communication open with each other so we can successfully find her. The cops know, and I called all the animal control offices and my local shelter who know me and let them know.

#14 ·
There was a siting yesterday morning near the recycling center. My daughters and I have been arriving in Utica everyday at 7AM. We were driving down the road, when we noticed a man writing down information from one of the fliers. He had seen her on that very road during the night. So we walked the area, stopped people going in and out to keep an eye out for her and hand out more fliers. We waited until around 5PM when the traffic slows to set and bait the trap. We sat in a spot where we could see both ends of the road. We didn't see her, we stayed until 3AM, nothing. Right now I just feel so helpless and I don't know what to do. I can't sit here knowing she's alone out there. I'm sure Gabby is wondering what she did that was so wrong she was sent away. She has no idea all that was asked was if another foster could take her and Maggie that would be great as I have lost my job and really couldn't afford to foster any longer.

So everyone, keep those positive thoughts and prayers going for Gabby. And Gabby if there is any way that I can let you know how much I miss and love you and want you to be safe and happy again, I will do it. I won't give up looking for you Gabby Girl. . . . .

#16 ·
PLEASE...is there anyone in this area that can help?

#17 ·
Mary Ann, I think after what Gabby feels I did to her Saturday, there is no one she can trust. My daughters and I need to rest up today and will go back later and cover the area again. Guess that's one good thing about being unemployed.

#18 ·
You are all in my thoughts and prayers...I feel so helpless here...wish I were there

#19 ·
Re: Lost Shepherd Utica, NY Area - Exit 31 off Thr

Originally Posted By: Danni..The cops know, and I called all the animal control offices and my local shelter who know me and let them know.
Be sure to contact all the local vets as well. Gas stations, post offices, and other "gathering places" in small surrounding towns are excellent places to put up a few flyers. Also, alert your municipal services (water, electricity, gas, sanitation, road repair), or drop some flyers for distribution to their workers - who better than to keep an eye open for possible sightings.
I'll be thinking of you...

#20 ·

Wonderful suggestions GT!!!!

#21 ·

GT, we have been and some are even leaving them there. Kathy dropped a flyer at one of the Dunkin Donuts in the area Monday. When we stopped last night before setting the trap - the flyer was still there. We have them all over the area which is rural. Kathy was going to contact the Utica papers this morning, this is like our first "day" home where we can think somewhat instead of walking and looking for pawprints in dirt, mud, etc.

#22 ·

Laurie, her daughter's and I went up today with Gabby's daughter, and another dog she lived with. Walked all around to leave the dogs sent for Gabby to smell. The trap has been set were she was last seen. Please say prayers for Gabby as it has been five days on her own.

#24 ·

I am thinking timing wise what would be best for placing an Arby's in the live trap? This girl needs to get home-I did send Laurie a press release type thing I wrote for her and hope maybe the media will pick it up-I am sure KathyB is on it! They've been working so hard. Maybe re-read Duke's thread and see if there is anything there that might work.

#25 ·

Jean, I saw an Arby's the other day when we were up there. Kathy got some really stinky cheese yesterday too, plus popcorn (Gabby loves popcorn) so we brought that too. Plus she has the free marrow bone from the butcher at Price Chopper. Along with other food and items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.