German Shepherds Forum banner

Lost Shepherd Utica, NY Area - Exit 31 off Thruway

4K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  JeanKBBMMMAAN 
#1 ·
For anyone in the Utica NY area, my foster Panda Shepherd Gabby, escaped from transport today. We have spent several hours today searching the area. The police, ENCON, dog wardens and others have been notified. Gabby is EXTREMELY AFRAID OF MEN - if any woman are in that area and can help tomorrow looking for her, it would be appreciated. I would beg that no men offer to assist in the search it only scares her more (although your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated). Why a man was on her transport I do not know or understand as this has been an issue since she came to me over two years ago and is a well known fact. We will also be printing up fliers and posting them tomorrow.

She has no ID on her at all - she broke out of her collar when she was to be picked up. Several sitings were reported, but she was always five steps ahead.

I hope she bedded down for the night and will be in the area tomorrow when we go up with some of our personal dogs that hopefully can coax her out of hiding.

Please keep Gabby in your thoughts and prayers. I'm sure she is frightened, scared and hungry.

Here is a photo that was taken yesterday of her.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remember, she is afraid of men.

See less See more
#27 ·
Re: Lost Shepherd Utica, NY Area - Exit 31 off Thr

There is an Arby's located in South Utica- you have to go up Genessee St. it is next to a Price Chopper

#28 ·

still praying........please Gabby......let them help you.........

#30 ·

Hey Judy...I sent her a link for one too....

#33 ·

Laurie and Kathy, I took an animal communication class with a known animal communicator in Syracuse. I have not taken her second class yet as its the end of July, but, she is wonderful. Here is her website- she does phone consults as well.

http://www.mysoulspeaks.com/policies.html

#34 ·

It is with a very heavy heart that I have to report that Gabby is dead. Laurie and I where up in Utica around 7AM this morning to check the trap and walk around. First was happy to see footprints meaning she was still there. I decided to walk a little further down the tracks to see if there were anymore tracks. I found her next to railroad tracks. She was not dead long maybe two hours. Laurie and I buried her there as it was in a couple of miles back to car. My heart is just breaking for Laurie and her family as they tried so hard to find her. Gabby had to spend her last few days of life scared and alone.

Please anyone transporting make sure no-slip collar is used. Make sure you know dog's background, e-mail person the dog is coming from. In this case the person who made up the transport run did not tell people that she was afraid of men and no mqn should be on transport. Also the foster family was never copied on the transport run or something would have been said that not to allow men to do transport. This sad ending might have been pervented if these things were done. This has been a very hard lesson for me to learn and I hope others will learn from it.

#35 ·

I am so heartbroken for all involved.

Kathy-I will post those tips somewhere in the transport section. Thank you for taking the time to think of something so important in such a difficult time. Thank you for being a good friend to Laurie and Gabby.

This is just...words can't describe the sorrow I know we all feel.

Laurie and family-I am sure you know that hearts are breaking and that people are here for you when you are ready.

Gabby was a special girl. I know if Annalise or Mariele were in a similar (a new, different) situation, a similar outcome could happen. I am glad that Gabby had two years of love.

#37 ·

I am so very, very sorry that it ended this way. My heart goes out to all involved. Again, I am so sorry...

#38 ·

OMG, sorry for my venting but I have to!!
I am so very sorry, sad & p/o. This is terrible and should have never happened. Gabby had such a great life with Laurie & her family for the past 2yrs. to only have it end like this. Gabby was saved once and should have found her forever home to live her full life out. My son has had her photo in his room his bulletin board for 2 yrs., ever since Laurie took her and Maggie Mae in. She had a very special place in his heart from day one and he will never forget her along with the our whole family.
Are hearts go out to Laurie and her family in a time like this. I guess we need to look at this as she had a great life for 2 yrs and Gabby knew she was loved from day one going into Laurie's home.

#39 ·

Kathy... I called you already- sorry to call so late.
Laurie- my heart goes out to you and your family, and poor Gabby. I was devastated to hear this... I am so,so very sorry more than words can ever say.

Kathy- I agree with you so much on the need for dogs to travel with a secure collar that can slip off.

#42 ·

I meant collar that *cant* slip off, and the need for double checking and rechecking with everything. Even without any man near her, at Lauries and on transport-she was so afraid. My heart deeply aches for her and her family. RIP Beautiful girl.

#43 ·

Oh I am shocked to read this. I was hoping for a happy ending, too. You are all in my thoughts today. I know how hard you tried and how much you worried. I am sorry.

#46 ·

I am so so sorry to hear that Gabby has been lost. She was a lucky girl to have been with Laurie and her family for 2 years. I am sure that she knew she was loved immensely, not only by Laurie and her family, but everyone in rescue. RIP Sweet Gabby.

#47 ·

Just a note for anyone reading this and thinking that a no-slip collar will be enough to keep a fearful dog from bolting: it will not. Annalise has chewed through-in one swift bite, many leashes. Her first foster could only use a chain on her. So in your transport bag get one of those chain leashes with the vinyl handle that I think they still sell at tractor supply places, walmarts, etc.

I also want to say that I hope that people are referring to a martingale collar and NOT a prong collar when they say no slip collar. Just want to have that information out there as well.

http://www.lupinepet.com has martingales pictured if you are unsure.

There is a post in the memorial section for Gabby so I am going to lock this thread.

If anyone wants to post in the transport section about anything I've posted about, please do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.