German Shepherds Forum banner

STOLEN GERMAN SHEPHERD, Help Bring Hex Home

17K views 128 replies 49 participants last post by  KZoppa 
#1 ·
#30 ·
The mal in Arizona is the grand-daughter of our trainer's dog. :(

#32 ·
Konotashi, trust me this has been going on since I joined the Lab board back in 2006, but no one ever knew exactly who these people where or what the car, usually a van (same people?) looked like, so police couldn't really do anything; until Al and his family started going to the police and going on TV. I say good for them! Maybe police will start looking for these scumbags and get them off the streets! I'm still praying for Hex and now these two dogs; actually, as I've been searching the internet in states bordering Illinois come to find out a lot of dogs are being stolen around those states not just Illinois! These people laid low for a while, until now. Makes me wonder why they came back out!?!

#33 ·
Not a word. A neighbor of Hex's said that earlier this summer she was out in her yard with her dog and a white can with Iowa plates pulled up and a woman started chatting about her dog...is he friendly, he's so beautiful... Might be the same van and people. Somebody certainly was watching Hex's house to know when they'd have the opportunity to snatch him. Hex and Al are well known nationally- he's the #1 tracking dog for the last 2 yrs and Al is a ScH judge.

#34 ·
Not a word. A neighbor of Hex's said that earlier this summer she was out in her yard with her dog and a white can with Iowa plates pulled up and a woman started chatting about her dog...is he friendly, he's so beautiful... Might be the same van and people. Somebody certainly was watching Hex's house to know when they'd have the opportunity to snatch him. Hex and Al are well known nationally- he's the #1 tracking dog for the last 2 yrs and Al is a ScH judge.
Hopefully these people don't plan on using that as a ploy to get money by breeding him. :/

I'm just waiting for the post that says "HE'S HOME!" (For either of the other dogs as well). So far, that hasn't been the case. :(

#38 ·
Just keep a close eye on all your dogs. If there is really a group out there stealing dogs, don't let them get out of sight and scan the surroundings if somebody is watching you.

What I don't get is, if they watched the Al's home, why stealing a high profile dog for lab work?

#40 ·
Missing canines, and canine theft is generally not something that pulls high priority. We dog lovers probably mostly think that stealing a dog should be right there on the same level as assault with a deadly weapon, or kidnapping. But the sorry fact is that most dogs' value does not even make the criminal offense a felony. Most police organizations do not have the funds or manpower to chase down missing pooches.

I think there is not much hope that the dog was stolen for breeding purposes, unless it was stolen by the owner of a littermate, that way then can send this dogs' DNA in and maybe pass the one off as the other. He is probably chipped and or tattoo'd and I don't think that is the case.

I wonder if there was anyway to shotgun the dog's description, tatoo or microchip number, and a picture to all vets offices in a huge range so that they can keep an eye out for him.

#41 ·
Trying to get national media coverage- people have contacted Ellen, GMA, Fox, so far nothing. I mean if they can do a spot on doggie Halloween costumes why can't they do this? If anyone has access to a nation wide news coverage please send them the poster and news stories from WQAD.com.

#44 ·
yeah but without the papers and ownership they can't use that montary value because his success alone doesn't make him that valuable. To get that value out of him you have to have the papers, pedigree and ownership.

Without that your hands are bound. That is what I don't understand.

The question is, why was he stolen? What is the motive?

#43 ·
Notice I said mostly or usually, this one is an exception. Maybe that is why the police are concerned, or maybe it is because he knows some of the officers, maybe they train together. If your dog is lost or stolen the police in general do not do much more than take a statement.

#47 ·
That is why the people stalking the guy, knowing his habits and deliberately stealing this dog does not make a whole lot of sense in my opinion. I bet the white van was probably staking out the neighborhood, probably to steal dogs, possibly for some nasty purpose, and chanced upon this dog. If this is the case, the dog's chances are not good. Maybe offering a reward that is likely higher than anything they can get selling the dog would bring them to the surface.

But as each day goes by, it is getting harder to believe the creeps will go for a reward. I feel pretty confident the owner would pay for the return of his dog, kind of like kidnapping, because we care about the dog and want him back safe. If you knew a dog was worth a substantial amount, and knew the owner would want the dog back. You could set that price tag pretty high even though you couldn't get anything for the dog elsewhere. So that would be a reason for them to stalk the owner and steal that individual dog.

#48 ·
Yeah but wouldn't they had contacted him by now?

Either it was a total random crime and they are stealing dogs and just don't know what kind of dog they have in their hands OR somebody is extremely pissed at Al, OR they want him out of the picture for whatever reason.

Either way, it's extremely sick and while nobody wants to talk about it, with each day going by, the chances of finding Hex get extremely slim.

Did any other dogs, out of the same neighborhood dissappear? And I am not talking about neighboring States but out of the same area?

If there is an active gang they don't just steal one dog unless Hex was the first one and they got scared by the sudden publicity and went to operate in a different State.

#52 ·
Hope Hex is next. Glad to hear one dog was found was it the truckers dogor the Mal. Mine are sitting in front of me and god knows they are not champions but every time I read this thread I have to hug them and see them. Still praying for Hex's safe return and the other dog.
Maggi

#56 ·
I am not talking about charges. I am talking that the thief can never get the same value out of the dog without the paper. The dog is still worth that money but without the paperwork he, the thief can't get that kind of money. He can't even get papers for puppies, can't compete with the dog...

-----------------------------------'

Yes,he can. You are not familiar with the private contracting world. The dog is worth bucks with the training. No papers necessary. A vendor could flip the dog in a heartbeat and he would be well on his way overseas. No sweat. Also for personal protection . Folks get big bucks for that. Chips can be removed and tatoos altered. no problem

#58 ·
I assume there's a demand for dogs like Hex on the black market and especially his offspring. I remember a story in CA about a gsd with both ears cut off- presumably to remove tattoos. I see that the tv new station- WQAD is offering to trade the reward money for the dog, no questions asked

#61 ·
On Hex's facebook page there's a post about a female Mal that was stolen out of her garage and I've read about a case where someone actually went into the living room and took a gsd they were after. Is it drug cartels, thieves for hire, black market puppies?? If so, there's little hope of getting the dog back

#63 ·
You know, they more I follow this they more I wonder if all the stuff we are writing online about our dogs doesn't make it easier to pick out dogs.

Think about it with everything we write it's so easy to find somebodies home and with all the information about the likes and dislikes of our dogs we make way too easy for people to steal them.

#64 ·
I was thinking the same thing, Mrs. K. A lot of what I was wondering is whether or not we should be describing "cutting off ears", altering tattoos, removing microchips, using a ball... all of this is stuff I'd rather not see on a forum during a high profile issue, as who knows who is reading it and taking notes...

#65 ·
Who know what people are doing with the dogs. On another forum, a member had her Puli puppy stolen out of her home while she was at work. It was a long time ago, but I believe her neighbor witnessed some of it and it was so fast that nothing could be done. There were other small dogs in the house, but the Puli is what the thieves were after. The thief broke and climbed through the kitchen window and was out in under a minute. An accomplice was driving the vehicle.

#66 ·
I'm sorry but there is just something to be said for public hangings.

Oh yes, I know that dog theft will never be a capitol crime, but between the chances of getting caught, and the likelihood of getting anything more than a slap on the wrist if you do get caught, makes these kinds of crimes more likely. And they are devastating -- losing a dog to such uncertainty.

I hope they find this dog, they need to keep their hopes up. I so wish this had a better outcome by now.

#67 ·
@Mrs K, I'm with you. Stosh is by no means a champion with a fabulous pedigree but he's a great looking dog and has met a lot of people and who knows??? I've always been a bit uncomfortable with the CGC test of leaving him with a stranger for 3 mins. I certainly understand the many benefits and I don't want to sound like some zealous whack job but these cases have me concerned- with all the socializing we're taught to do, I think it would be wise for trainers to add a training segment about safeguarding and protecting our dogs. The story about the white van pulling up to Hex's neighbor's house saying how pretty your dog is, is he friendly...we take as compliments but that's what's being preyed upon. I so hope that Hex and all the others are returned safe and sound but it's been an eye opener for me.

#68 ·
Does not matter if high competition dog, ring dog and/or family dog (both dogs taken are family dogs as well. The dogs (and people on this board dogs) are family and would crush anyone if their dog was taken.

People involved, both people that took and people that know about the theft- it is cruel and criminal and low level foe all people involved, not just those that took the dogs from their homes and families who loved them.....

And for those who protest:

‎"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

and

Edmund Burke: "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.