German Shepherds Forum banner

Lost Female GSD

5K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  elisabeth_00117 
#1 ·
This evening I received a call from my vet that owns a female from my Ghost and Cira litter. My vet sent her out to Colorado to be bred. She left her there to be bred and now is pregnant and due to have her pups in the next 3 weeks. She had a friend that went to pick up Leka and bring her back to Illinois where my vet lives. On the way they made a stop and when they opened the van door out she bolted. She has been out loose now for a week and a half. She has been seen by my vet twice last week but is in panic mode and won't come to her. Kari has been in New Castle Colorado looking for her. She needs anyone in the area that can help. Here is a current picture of Leka and if anyone lives nearby New Castle Colorado please PM me and I will give you Kari's cel number. Leka has been Micro chiped

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Carnivore

See less See more
#5 ·
As of today she has been only sited and hasn't been caught. Kari her owner had to leave in order to not get fired by her job. I'm going to set aside a few days to drive up there and see maybe I can find her myself.

She is a trained SARS dog!!!!!

#6 ·
Why is she so skittish?
I hope whoever does find her does the right thing and contacts her owner.
Maybe you'll get lucky Chuck and she'll come running to you!!! :fingerscrossed:

#7 ·
I haven't got the whole story from Kari as to what really had happened except that she had sent her out to be bred to a male out in Colorado. She was out there for 3 weeks. Kari did say that she had a friend that was on vacation in Colorado and came and picked Leka up. On the way from there they stopped and let Leka out to potty they had her on one of those retractable leashes. Leka took off and when the leash got to the end it snapped and away she ran. All I can think is that she was stressed from being left out there to be bred and then a stranger picked her up. Kari has told me in the last couple of days that she had seen her and she wouldn't come to her ( My question to her is going to be why the heck wouldn't she come to you). She has been now loose for almost 2 weeks living on who knows what.

As the breeder of Leka and having her here for some time makes this a bit emotional. I'm trying not to judge but to work for the best interests in Leka. This is the 3rd day that I have known about her being missing and I haven't been able to sleep much. Now that Kari has left to come back and knowing Leka is really out there with no help is getting the best of me. i'm not financially able to just jump in the car and go out there and look for her nor do I think that the animal control out there wants to get off their butt and look for her. One good thing is if she is found she is micro chipped and we will be notified

#8 ·
New Castle is really small. I live in Denver, but that is still 3 hours from me. Has the local law enforcement been contacted about this? Did your friend at least put up posters? Since its a small community, I think some posters at the local grocery/gas/convenience stores would go a long way. You'd be surprised at how tightly knit those mountain communities are and how quickly word travels. At this time of the year I would really be worried about mountain lions in that area, especially with a very pregnant dog who is not as agile as she usually is. Not to mention bears and coyote. Also I would be worried about the interstate that goes through the town. Really I think your friend's best bet is to get the word out to the locals and the Law Enforcement/Fire Rescue. I doubt New Castle even has animal control. I sincerely hope everything works out. I will say... there would be h*** to pay if my pregnant female got loose. Another reason not to use retractable leads with large dogs...

#9 ·
All the shelters and animal control all have fliers and they have been posted all over I was told.

But I wouldn't have left her behind worrying about a job, I guess this would make me jobless because it is all about the dog

#16 ·
All I know is she is due to have her litter in the first part of September. Kari my vet had been up there looking for her for 2 weeks although the female is in panic mode and won't come to anyone including Kari, there have been reports of her being seen as of last night. I'm working with the animal control out there to get her back or at least saved. She is at least staying in the area.

Kari has set traps for her with some of her own cloths and made the trap just like the crate she has at her house that Leka is familiar with but couldn't get her to go into it.

It kills me to just sit here and wait for her to be found. I will check into the links you put up there and I have been posting the same thing on Facebook hoping to have someone in the area that could also help.

#17 ·
Weird thought - and some won't do it because they don't think it's a good idea - so I am not sure if it is, but some animal communicators do try to help with lost pets. The ones who don't, won't because they said it's weird for the dog to be out, lost, and suddenly "hear" a strange voice in their head, but the ones who do it, apparently work around that.

Does she like other dogs - would that be a draw? That's how they found my foster Luka when he ran off in GA - a search dog rescued the rescue dog! Luka was under a shed and came out when the other dog approached.

#18 ·
Does she like other dogs - would that be a draw? That's how they found my foster Luka when he ran off in GA - a search dog rescued the rescue dog! Luka was under a shed and came out when the other dog approached.

Agreed with the above. Recently here in Missouri A fellow trainer/breeder was called out when a rescue dog was being transported and it escaped the transporters vehicle. The dog eluded capture but when the gsd search dog was brought in the dog went to the shepherd. Try contacting local SAR groups. This particular dog doing the search was great at tracking and completely non - confrontational and non - dog aggressive when it came to other dogs....that was important.

#23 ·
Ok now that my computer is working and don't have to do things with my cel phone here is what I found out. Leka absorbed her litter due to the stress and the lack of food. She had been missing for 4 weeks. Kari had brought her out to a breeders in Colorado to be bred and hired a couple to bring her back. They had traveled 5 hours away when they had stopped to give her a potty break. They had her on one of those flexy leashes and she had took of in a run and ripped it out of the peoples hands which ended her to be missing for 4 weeks. Kari was out there for 2 weeks and had to return to work or loose her job so she had a friend that was going out there a week at a time. There was sightings of here often but never long enough for someone to catch her. The last week they had set up traps but didn't set them and put camera's in each one once they had figured out her hang outs. They had had photo's of her going into the traps and taking the food set out for her and then early Wednesday morning Kari had flown out to take a few more days to see if she could catch her, while she was in flight her friend had figured she would set the traps and hopefully catch her before Kari had arrived.

About an hour after the traps had been set they went out to check them and there was Leka happy to see Kari's friend, then came the reunion with Kari. Leka acted like where the **** have you been as I have been looking for you...lol Kari called me Wednesday morning telling me that Leka was caught and that she wouldn't let Kari out of her sight although dirty and tired Leka was in good health and had no signs of giving birth to any pups so we figured the stress had caused her to absorb them. At this point Kari had felt that it was more important to find Leka and not to worry about the litter that she had absorbed. It is good to see a good ending to what could have been a very bad ending

#24 ·
WOW what a story.

I am so glad everything worked out for her. Thats a lot of time and people looking for a dog. Its touching to see I will tell you that. Most people I know would barely post signs for their missing "pet" Does the heart good to know some people actually care and take personal responsibility for their animals.

#25 ·
She is not my dog although I was the breeder that brought her into the world and would do anything possible to help find her. I didn't do as some do and post blame on who ever, but only focused on finding the dog as this was the most important thing than blaming others for her going missing and I'm glad to see her back home now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.