German Shepherds Forum banner

Lost German Shepherd in Ohio *Please Help & Pray*

5K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Anja1Blue 
#1 ·
I'm writing this in hopes of finding my mother's German shepherd "Viess."
Frday April 9th my mother died from cancer with her faithful companion right at her side. This dog meant everything to my mom. Sadly the next day Viess was so upset my nephew went to put her in the car to take her to my mom's house to comfort her and she ran away. She ran through downtown Willoughby, my mother lived in North Willoughby. Also for the past 6 weeks Viess and my mother stayed here with me in Chardon. I am sure she is searching for my mother but may be confused which house to go to. If you are a rescue person please keep your eyes out for her while you are out helping other animals. She does have her Lake county current license along with her rabies tags. I am hopeful she will turn up. Even if she has been hit by a car I just need to know. Please help and watch out for her wherever you are. She is shy and timid with strangers so she may be hiding in the woods.

She is 9 years old, approx. 72 pounds. The one thing that will tell you if this is Viess is her right ear - it is crooked and deformed due to an ear infection that she had when she was a puppy. See picture attached.

Please contact me at (440)796-2523 Jennifer
or my sister Cathy (440) -384-0062
There is a reward for her return.

Thank you in advance for any help/sightings or information for helping us.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thoughts, prayers and well wishes. So sorry for the loss of your Mother.

-Yvonne

#5 ·
Jennifer,
If you haven't already, you might want to contact Debbie with Dogs Hope GSD rescue. She's in the area and I'm sure she'd be more than happy to help get the word out for you.
dogshope@dogshope.com
She's pretty quick about answering emails. Or you can give her a call at 440.357.1226 -- she answers from 4:30ish pm till about 8:00.

There's also a K9 Amber Alert group on Yahoo. You might want to post her info there.

I'm in western Cuyahoga, but know a couple people who live in your area. I'll let them know about her now.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your mother and hope and pray that Viess is found safe and sound.
If I can do anything else to help, please let me know.

#6 ·
I would also contact the News Herald...it's a human interest story and they like that...get her photo in the paper...both the Lake County and Geauga County Editions...

Also, don't forget Rescue Village and the Geauga Shelter, Lake County Humane Society and the Lake County Dog Pound...AND YES, Debbie from dogs hope is a GREAT IDEA...she has many contacts...

Wishing you tons of luck with finding this confused and sad girl...Judy

#8 ·
Yes, the local TV stations certainly can't hurt. Good idea.

I just sent her info to my mom, too. She works for a freight company and knows a lot of drivers who are out and about, on the roads all day long. They'll have her description and your contact info and will keep an eye out for her.

#9 ·
My thoughts and prayers for you and your family for the loss of your mother. I too lost my mom to cancer, in 2000, and can understand what you've been through. I hope that Viess can be found and returned safely. The idea about contacting a newspaper or tv station is great advice, it would be a heartfelt story with hopefully a great ending. Maybe with all the contacts this board has given you, your next post will be titled ... Viess is Home!

#10 ·
Another thought...in case this girl does make her way home...notify your Mom's neighbors to keep their eyes peeled for any sightings of Viess.

Also give them your contact numbers so they can call if there is a sighting...

IF your Mom had a fenced in yard, see if someone can lure her into the yard with food or treats, lock that gate and call you immediately...

Even if they can get her in the garage...

So worried for this girl...she is so confused, frightened and scared right now...Judy

#11 ·
Hello everyone. Thanks for all the prayers! Thanks for all the suggestions too and Debbie from dogshope has been in contact with me and put a posting on her site which I am very grateful for : )

My mom lived in a condo and we do have a flyer placed there in her hallway and her neighbor who knew Viess very well is watching for her there. My sister is walking the willoughby sidewalks in the evenings hopefully Viess is still in the neighborhood. I have contacted all the police dept.'s in the area with a picture and asked them to post - incase they may see her while they are out patroling. I posted on news-herald website and my sister placed a classified ad in news-herald today. I have her on craigs list and emailed rescue village and lake county humane society and Geauga dog warden. We will be putting more flyers up as soon as we have a chance. We have been busy preparing for my moms memorial. It sure would be nice if Viess were here with us for that day. Jusy keep her in your prayers. I was worried today with it getting warmer. I hope she is getting enough water : ( God Bless you all for your amazing help! ~ Jennifer

#12 ·
The ads in the News Herald will help alot, BUT contact a reporter...tell them your story...as mentioned before it's a great human interest story and will draw alot of attention to your situation and perhaps even volunteers to help you search...believe me, I did that 10 yrs. ago when a dog was lost on the freeway...they did a whole article in the first section of the paper with a photo and everything...I will be praying that you can find her.

#15 ·
Still hoping and praying that you find her, safe and sound.
I've put the word out to everyone I can think of, with a good description of her. It might not be likely, but it's not impossible that she could have wandered this far west by now, so I'm telling everyone around here to keep their eyes open. Mom has quite a few drivers on the lookout too.

~fingers crossed~

#16 ·
The last dog we took in that was running loose, we had for a week before the owners drove by and saw it in the front yard with us. I had posted in the paper and craigslist, but due to my schedule, I hadn't made it over to the HS with it yet to check for chips and to let them know I had it. So sometimes people just get caught up with life and it takes them some extra time. Hoping that she's safe and sound and that you are reconnected soon.

#18 ·
Hello Everyone.
No news as of yet. they did post my story in local paper over the weekend and I heard from a few people that may have seen her in Willoughby. One guy wanted me to remove a dog from his yard even tho it was not Viess?????? Then when I asked where he lived he hung up on me!!! How do people have time to do stupid stuff like that?

I a so worried about her. She hates thunder storms and we have had a few. One post on petfinder stated they saw a shepherd on I77 dead, I called ODOT and it was actually a deer. It was a longshot but I had to be sure. Please keep praying and I will keep you all posted. God Bless, Jennifer

#20 · (Edited)
My heart goes out to you, Jennifer. Not knowing has to be worse than anything.
Everyone I know, all the drivers mom talks to at work, are still keeping their eyes out for her.
She's out there somewhere. Someone will spot her. And if somebody has her (hopefully that's the case) it's probably just a matter of time before they see that someone is looking for her.

We took in a cat that had been roaming the neighborhood a couple years ago. We put flyers up everywhere and we had her for over two months before the owner happened to see one and called me. He lived one street over from us and it took him that long to see a flyer and find out that someone had his cat.

#21 ·
-
I just wanted to let everyone know we received a phone call this evening from the Solon Police Department. They found my moms German Shepherd, Viess. The news is sad. They found Viess on Rt. 422, she had been hit by a car and her body was badly decomposed. She traveled approx. 20 miles. She must have been there for awhile.I was truly hoping for a happy ending. Thank you for all your help, prayers and concern in helping us look for her. I very much appreciate it. I know my mom did too.
This has been a very sad month/year. : (

God Bless You all,

Jennifer Sensibello

#25 ·
I'm so sorry... I kept checking this thread hoping.... again, I'm so sorry. Prayers for you and your family.

Tanja

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.