German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VERY BIG, MALE GSD Found in SCRANTON, PA, blue collar, he's been lost for a long time

6K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  hjthomas13 
#1 ·
A very big, male GSD was found in the woods behind my home in Scranton, Pennsylvania. He has been living in the woods since April of 2009!

He was eating from people's garbage cans, so I decided to start leaving food out for him in the hopes that he would let me get close to him. He was very afraid of people. Even after 6 months of leaving food out, he would only come out at night and wouldn't let anyone come near.

A few weeks ago, he finally got enough courage to come out during the day. This guy is huge! I've never seen a GSD this big.

He was sporting what appeared to be a blue (dark green?) collar with paw prints on it and a metal tag.

The Human Society set up a cage, and after a few weeks, he finally went inside. He is now at the Humane Society in Lackawanna County.

Sadly, the metal tag was gone by the time he entered the cage. I have no way of knowing who his owners are.

He was obviously someone's pet. He obeys commands and is very playful.

No one in the Scranton area reported a missing dog meeting his description. Kane Trucking is nearby, and I think he may have hitched a ride on one of the trucks, it's happened before, so who knows where he is from.

If anyone can help me track down the owners, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would have no problem taking him in as my own, as I've been feeding him for almost a year, but he does belong to someone else and it's only right that we find them if possible.

Best,

Howard

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for helping this boy out, can you post a picture of him? sounds like he is young.

#9 ·
Small world Howard! I live near you...saw this boy at the shelter...and am going back today to eval him and take pics with Jax! Will keep you posted...I don't hold out much hope he will be reclaimed though.

He is big and beautiful!

#10 ·
I'd be willing to take him if his owners can't be found.

I have a big yard and was planning on putting in a back fence this year...I already have the property fenced in on both sides, just the back is open, which is how the GSD got on to my property in the first place.

There is a possibility that once the snow melts, I can find that missing metal tag he was wearing. He never really left the wooded area behind my home, so I'm guessing it is back there somewhere.

I feel so bad for the poor guy.

#23 ·
I'd be willing to take him if his owners can't be found.

I have a big yard and was planning on putting in a back fence this year...I already have the property fenced in on both sides, just the back is open, which is how the GSD got on to my property in the first place.

There is a possibility that once the snow melts, I can find that missing metal tag he was wearing. He never really left the wooded area behind my home, so I'm guessing it is back there somewhere.

I feel so bad for the poor guy.
Good for you. This dog is gorgeous. I too am looking for a home for a stray lab/mix I found on the road Thursday night. So sad for these animals. Good luck

#15 ·
Beautiful baby, I'm so glad that you fell in love with him and took care of him. I hope you get to adopt him if his owners don't show up. I only hope someone is so kind to my boy who has been missing since Nov.
Thanks for sharing and for being a wonderful person!!!

#17 ·
When will you know if you get to keep him? Seems like he would be at your side already!! Keeping good thoughts for both of you!

#20 ·
Congrats!!! :)
I hope he has a wonderful forever home with you, please spoil him rotten~ after his past, he deserves to know what a good life is. :paw:

#21 ·
Thanks! I will do everything to give this guy a good life. The first day, he's immediately going to the vet. I'm looking for trainers because he has some major socialization issues - he doesn't get along with cats, male dogs, and even some small children. I think it's because he's been wild for so long. But he's a sweet heart deep down, so after some training he'll be fine. I'm so relieved, I love this guy!!!

#24 ·
Ahh he loves you so much. He's so lucky to be alive. Thanks for saving him

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.