German Shepherds Forum banner

Rex is missing

4K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Karin 
#1 ·
I have not been on here in a long time.
After we moved back to the states. Husband was restationed and we couldn't follow. Then the house was robbed... Plus a whole lot more horrible days.

Here I thought Monday was the worst... but now...

Rex is missing.

I was cleaning the carpet one more time before I had to turn in the rug doctor and I didn't hear Bo let the dogs out.

When I figured it out Rex was GONE!

I have been looking all day. I went to the local rescue and talked to the lady there. Left the info on Rex and all she said was to check the AC. Which is almost at the other side of the county from me. I tried to call but no answer. Hope tomorrow to get someone.
Talked to neighbors and one said that dogs have been going missing in our rural area.

This makes me fear the worst for my boy.

If anyone know of what to do in NC to help find him, Please let me know. And if you don't just please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

See less See more
#3 ·
Michelle's idea about the flyers is the best possible way to get the word around. Every single dog I've ever found, I was able to find the owners by posting flyers EVERYWHERE! I think there's a sticky post here about what to do when a dog is missing. I'll try to find it.

#4 ·
Praying that he is found soon! Alex went missing last year at this exact time.

Flyers, craigslist, taking flyers to all shelters and contacting rescues, k9 Amber alert, Ineighbors and using http://www.findtoto.com helped to get him back. It took a week. They had removed his tags and had all intentions of keeping him.

Hopefully he is microchipped, that will help a lot. Find Toto and Ineighbors were amazing in getting people in the neighborhood informed.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I don't have anywhere to place flyers as I am rural with few neighbors. I would have to put them at petsmart and I have never seen any flyers there. But it is on my list of places to go tomorrow.
I will let AVID know if I can find the paper.

I don't have the money for toto or amberpet. Money is so tight after being robbed.

#10 ·
AVId should have your details. Go to the website and find a phone number.

let all your neighbors know immediately!!!. I lost a dog because I didn't do that. If they had known then when the person that found her came to their door they could have sent her to me.

PUt an ad in the pet section of your newspaper. Lost ads are usually free.

Call the AC everyday (after you check in person like middleofnowhere) said.

#12 ·
Put them on telephone poles, utility poles, fences - anything that has a surface you can tape it to. Put posters on the windows on your car. Grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations, bars - anyone who will let you put one up. Our Petsmart here lets people post lost and found notices, so hopefully yours will too.

Can you leave your garage door up enough that he could get in there if he comes back tonight? Put clothes in there also so that it might draw him in.

#18 ·
Just to let you know I'm keeping you and Rex in my thoughts and prayers tonight.
I lost my cat for over 163 days. I was reunited with her because of a poster I had put in a post office in another town. I had them plastered in every store, that would let me put one up.
I am also rural and I started by going out in a circle and making the circle bigger and bigger, I did go door to door with a flyer with her picture on it. I showed it and that was usually good enough but a few people offered to take one and put it up.
It's still early, he hasn't been gone long there is a very good chance that he got distracted by some smell and will return.
Best of luck.

#21 ·
So sorry to hear this

Drive over & visit every neighbor you can tonite & let them know (even if you don't have any posters, just leave a piece of paper with your details).

Many rural radio or tv stations will run the add for you (for free).
Ask if you can post at the schools & churches & any community buildings where people congregate, also pubs, bars, restaurants, liquor store, general store etc - run off some mini posters with just the basic info + bigger posters in black/white and a few in color: talk to the guy doing the photocopying & see if you can get a discount for "Lost" posters, also if there's a drug store or general store with a copier, they may be cheaper than Staples (& more likely able to do a discount).

Drop by the police station & talk to them, drop off some posters; same goes for any vet clinics.

Walk Mace everywhere you can so you leave a scent trail, encourage him to mark alot; if you haven't been at the house for long, wear an extra Tshirt to bed & keep placing that on your porch every morning; leave some of Mace's poops around the neighborhood (discretely).

Find out where you can borrow or rent a trap from so if there are sightings, you can set a trap in the area (if needed).

#23 ·
Don't forget craigslist and ineigbors! They are free! Rescues will also put info up for you.

Ditto on the shelters, they will even tell you they don't have that kind of dog in without looking (from my experience) you HAVE to go look yourself unfortunately.

Flyers were the first tip on getting Alex back! Oh yeah, and I bothered the police and called the radio station!

Good luck and keep looking! He will show up!

#24 ·
Thanks for those suggestions alto.
I will see who can do them cheaper.

I just wrote to the radio station. This is just some very, very, VERY bad luck we have been having.

#25 ·
He is home, safe!
Somebody picked him up thinking he was a stray.
I put out over 200 flyers this morning... Now to collect some of them.

More importantly he is home...

Thank you all for the prayers to bring him home!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.